Magazine = Scam!
In this space we ran an Ad for a
"glossy local magazine with 10,000 copies targeting
Sandton & Randburg from December 2011, offering a free ad in
the first issue" This was false. Caution:
Tuck Khumalo (011 023 5187 / 083 517 9991) "Wise
not pay its debts!
Links to Other Pages:::
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in Bryanston:
Riverside Shopping Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead SuperValue Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
Home of Beauty
Hot Stone Massage and Antaneea in Bryanston
Experienced therapist specialising in Hot Stone Massage and Antaneea
in a quiet and cosy space. Other beauty therapies available: Facials, Pedicure, manicure, slimming, chakra balance.
Call Rita 082-210-0606
Shopping Centres and Shops in and near Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre,
The Wedge, Morningside,
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Are We Donating Blood at Game, or at The Colony?
The Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Avenues, Craighall. Tel: 011 447-6665 / 880-4994.
Game Shopping Centre, Fourways Boulevard, Opposite Fourways Mall
011 467-0738 / 082 467-8408
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Rivonia Village Vet,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop,
Manor Medical Centre
The "Perfect" place for salads, subs, pasta,
pizza, burgers, chips, soft drinks.
Open 10:00-21:00 every day. Free delivery of orders
R60 and up within 3 km.
Brandon: 011 656-0652, e-mail
As you will see from
Gone below, the
flight from Rivonia Square continues. Flight Centre has
fled to Rivonia Village. HPFA likewise, to a magnificent new gym
above News Cafe (itself a refugee from Rivonia Square). Others
have just disappeared: Fifth Avenue Decor went some time ago; then Add Life, and
now Wat Knot (Eastern Gifts) and Wimpy. How long will Ackermans and Pick
'n Pay last?
However the upper level is bravely going against the trend. The Slug
and Lettuce, a theme pub that, as you can tell by the name, doesn't take itself
too seriously, replaced News Cafe (Restaurant Review
below), a Chinese Restaurant
has moved in almost next door, and Canto Latino is deservedly going strong.
The really exciting new development, which is either going to bloom
wonderfully or crash and burn (it's too early to tell), is The Penitentiary.
Not exactly a name that would have you rushing to visit, although with the
abundance of criminals in South Africa, perhaps a home-from-home? The
theme is "up market flea market". The "Warden" has taken over a large area
on the ground level and broken it up into a series of cages where "inmates" display their wares ranging from fashion to scooters. The wooden deck on
Rivonia Boulevard has been replaced by a more solid structure. The
adjacent restaurant area, where Black Steer and KFC once were, is becoming a themed Cocktail Bar called "Captivity".
We wish The Penitentiary all success. See Megaplex's web pages for
Rivonia Square and Rivonia Village.
Elegant private 4 star
B&B in a leafy suburb. Luxury accommodation in peaceful and secure
Complimentary WiFi. Rooms serviced daily by our friendly staff. 1 Vickers Avenue, Rivonia.
Jenny 083 271 5958
On a flight over Russia, the American passenger
The man next to her said, "Gesundheit!"
"Oh, super," she replied, "someone who speaks English!"
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- The Penitentiary in Rivonia Square – “Factory Cage Outlet” occupying 3500 sq m of the ground floor shopping level at Rivonia Square. Quality and style at flea-market prices. Fashion & Sports
clothing, shoes, accessories, sunglasses, lingerie, perfume, bags, Captivity Cocktail Bar, tattoo, Dance Studio, Hair, Nail & Body.
- The 7th Kitchen Chinese Restaurant in Rivonia Square – Restaurant and take-away. Chinese foods and Sushi.
- Simply Gorgeous, in Sunninghill Village
has moved from upstairs to Shop G33 – Ooh-La-La Lingerie. Regular and larger sizes: S–6XL. Bachelorette, Bridal Shower & Lingerie Parties, Fantasy Wear.
- Pumeez Boutique, moved from Shop G33 to the Basement in Sunninghill Village – Exclusive ladies designer garments, men's and ladies' suits.
- Flight Centre, Shop 2 in Rivonia Village – Travel shop. Moved from downstairs in Rivonia Square.
- HFPA now in Rivonia Village –
the Health and Fitness Professional Association, giving courses connected with Health and Fitness,
has now moved from Rivonia Square. Up the escalator and past Standard Bank.
- Bahadur Express, Shop 4 in Mutual Mews
– Indian Restaurant/take-away.
- The Fish & Chip Co, Shop 6 in Mutual Mews
– Traditional English-style food.
- T&T Appointments in Mutual Mews – Recruitment, Training, Project Management and HR Consulting firm.
- First National Bank Mini-Branch in Morning View – Electonic transactions only.
- Stargate Video, Shop 7 in Morning View,
has become DVD & Game Superstore.
- Oasis Water – Bottled water; moved to 90° on Rivonia from Early Dawn Mall in Rivonia on 22 October 2011.
- Sankaya in 90° on Rivonia – Night club, upstairs. Replaced Mauna.
- Fiélli in Woodmead Square – Exclusive Designer Furniture, indoor and outdoor: Now occupies the whole upper level of Woodmead Square.
- Europa Café, coming to Bryanston Shopping Centre –
lower level, left of Checkers.
Double Restaurant Review
by Judith Back to top
*** The Slug and Lettuce, corner Rivonia
Boulevard and 9th Avenue, Rivonia
A real pub atmosphere abounds here in the evenings and a young crowd is
attracted by the no nonsense food. We had bockwurst and chips and hake and
chips. Both excellent although the bockwurst was a portion larger than I
could manage. White wine by the glass was good and cold.
I would recommend this for a good Friday night out for the under 40s!
Service was good and friendly
Contact Details for The Slug and Lettuce.
***** Chez Girard, 20 WEST, 20 West Road South,
A return to an old friend in a new venue proved to be an excellent choice for
a cold night out! Christian's warm welcome was accompanied by sherries on
the house. The restaurant's decor is understated and inviting. The
menu and wine list are of high quality. I was spoilt with half a dozen
oysters for starters, which were complemented by the Excelsior Sauvignon Blanc.
Rick chose his favourite roast duckling, which was perfectly served. I
chose the beef fillet with peppercorn sauce - gloriously rare. The
vegetables were cooked to crisp perfection as well.
Finally delicious coffee! A very enjoyable evening in good company at
one of our finest French restaurants left us relaxed and happy.
Contact Details for Chez Girard.
Fully furnished and serviced + laundry. R3000 per month for one
person, all inclusive.
or call 082 389-3482.
Whining and Dining
Taking time off from marching, Julius visited a restaurant. Then:
"Waiter, Waiter! There's a fly in my soup!"
"Don't worry, sir, the tarantula on the bread roll will catch it."
- Cramers Outfitters, downstairs in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Men's outfitters. Schoolwear for boys and girls.
- Add Life, Shop G5 in Rivonia Square – Health and Wellbeing products.
- Wat Knot in Rivonia Square – Eastern Gifts, wind chimes, exotic ladies' clothing.
- Wimpy Rivonia Square in Rivonia Square – Fast Foods.
- Dragon Supermarket Chinese shop in Early Dawn Mall.
- Nutrition Sandwich and Salads in Mutual Mews – Light meals, health food.
- Boulevard Sports in Rivonia Village – sports and running shoes, clothes and supplements.
- Cappella Design & Décor in Rivonia Village – furniture and interiors.
- Woodmead Spectacle Centre, Shop upstairs in Woodmead Square – Optometrist.
- Time 4 Me Nail Studio in Morning View – Nails done while you wait! Waxing and,
Do you have a business in Sandton? Check out the gratis advertising
offer in the new “My Suburb” Magazine of December 2011: See the advert at the
top left of this newsletter.
Heard At the
"My neighbour is so inconsiderate.
He came banging on my gate after eleven o'clock last night!"
"Woke you up?"
"Man, fortunately not – by a
stroke of luck I was letting off my Divali firecrackers at the time."