Restaurant Review ~
5 Main Road, Bryanston
Tel: 073 230 6531
Woodmead Commercial Park
Waterval Cres., Woodmead
Tel: 083 923 2306
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Convenient Conference Café:
From a one-hour business meeting for 5, to a week-long indaba for 42
with all audio-visual aids, coffee and food.
5 Dunwoody Shopping Centre, 147 Western Service Road, Woodmead.
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead SuperValue Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
REVOLUTIONARY BODY-MIND FITNESS FUSION
Love your workout!
• weight loss • stress buster
• expressive & fun!
Shopping Centres and Shops in and near Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Your Business Running Better!
The skills shortage is a growing problem! De-skill
your business by putting your expertise into software,
a step-by-step process for less expensive staff to follow.
Software Africa can help!
e-mail or call 011 802-2685
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
The "Perfect" place for salads, subs, pasta, pizza, burgers, chips, soft drinks.
Open 10:00-21:00 every day. Free delivery of orders R60 and up within 3 km.
Nick: 011 656-0652,
What's in Store
This month we are playing catch-up with the Morningside Shopping
Centre, where many changes have taken place under the new centre
management. Several shops have closed, and others opened.
Five new shops and a branch of FNB are set to open in July. See
the lists below.
Morning Glen Mall continues to fill up gradually and, despite the
loss of Meltz, almost all shops are now occupied.
Rivonia Village has been rearranged somewhat and is being expanded
for the new Checkers under construction, while Mutual Mews opposite has also been
reorganised for a renovation.
We welcome Michele back from her long absence! So if any clients
of hers from Sunninghill or Fourways are wondering where she is, come along
to Dads&Lads Barber Shop, Lower
level Sunninghill Village, Sunninghill and you will find her here! We are
open 7 days a week Mon-Fri 8am-6pm, Sat 8am-3pm, Sun/holidays 9am-2pm. It might be winter, but hair grows the same length
as it does in summer. Let us warm you up with a fresh hair
cut! It's good for your soul! Call
There was the couple, both Attorneys, who named their children "Sue" and "Rob".
The Joys of Winter
As I write this, I've finished my hot chocolate and put another log
on the fire, and am looking forward to bed with a hot water bottle and a
Unlike last winter, I now have warm feet. The difference is
that this season we
installed a closed stove-type fireplace from Builders Warehouse. It was
pricey, but not of the order of the prices we were quoted by specialised
fireplace shops, and we did have to hunt for an installer.
The stove heats the room beautifully. The wood
burns down almost entirely to fine ash, which goes into the compost. The only drawback is that, because the stove is
quite small, we have to feed it every half-hour. Since we grow our own wood, it is
High-end fashion jewellery. Silver, pearls and gemstones for all occasions.
Shop D9, Hobart Grove Centre, Bryanston.
- Winnie's Soul & Jazz Restaurant has now occupied the club space on the extreme right of the centre, above the post boxes, in Wendywood Shopping Centre – Music and food! Prices on the high side, probably to pay for the entertainment.
- Boulevard Cellars, Shop 2 in Mutual Mews – large Bottle Store
– has moved to the opposite side of the centre during renovations of the
block they were in.
- Beverley Johnson has moved from upstairs in Mutual Mews
to downstairs – Hair Extensions, wigs, pony-tails and now, a hairdresser too.
- Prime Persian Carpets, Shop 66, Upper Level in Morning Glen Mall – Opening 1 July 2013, First Floor opposite Nedbank.
- e-Car has become Corporate Car Clinic, Shop AH, in Woodmead Commercial Park – Services all makes of vehicles, specialising in BMW & Merc. Still the same family business.
- Smooch, Shop 20 in Coachman's Crossing – Frozen yoghurt experience.
- New and changed in Morningside Shopping Centre:
- With Love…, Shop L09 – Gifts, candles, kitchen things.
- Pure Skin, Shop L11 – everything artificial to make you look more natural.
- Travel Associates has become Flight Centre - Business Travel, Shop U02a – Travel Agents.
- Wesley’s Tobacconist has become JJ Cale Tobacconist, Shop U05 next to Standard Bank.
- Crew Men’s Grooming is now Turkish Men’s Grooming Lounge, Shop U46 – Men's Hairdresser for Young Turks.
- Opening July 2013 in Morningside Shopping Centre:
- FNB - First National Bank, Shop L16, Lower Level at the outside entrance where Lucky Moo was.
- Toys R Us, Shop U23 – Toy Shop next to Trishy's.
- Cloth & Label, Shop U18 – Men's clothing.
- Café Coton, Shop U10 – French men's cotton shirts and Italian silk ties.
- Bensimon Collection, Shop U41 – Ladies' clothing.
- iYo Frozen Yoghurt.
"We had a great time at Chislehurst for our
Baby Shower - we were spoilt for fun and good food", said Lolo Bingwa.
20 ladies arrived laden with gifts for the mum-to-be, Lolo's sister.
After a delicious brunch, champagne and cake accompanied toasts and lots
of laughter. Choose Chislehurst for your next event, under the
lapa and around the pool. Book clubs, kitchen teas, boardroom lunches
and birthday celebrations, we can assure you of a good time in a secure,
private, pretty and peaceful environment.
on 011 803 1351 / 083 271 5958
Restaurant Review by
Judith Back to top
***** The Slug and Lettuce, Oriental Square Rivonia, Rivonia Boulevard & 9th Avenue
This has become a really friendly and welcoming venue as we discovered when
we arrived for Sunday lunch! The attention of everyone from the manager
down was exemplary. We opted to have the Sunday Roast and the Hake and
Chips. For drinks, a mango juice and Darling Sauvignon Blanc by the glass
were chosen. The Sauvignon Blanc is becoming one of my favourites.
The meat for the roast was beef and pork with roast potatoes, rice too(?), and
copious vegetables. Somehow I have never got my head around two starches
unless the second one is Yorkshire pud. The Hake was utterly sublime and
the best I have had for ages. Really didn't need the chips.
A very clean plate announced a good tasty Sunday Roast, and this was
confirmed as well. For a great experience on a Sunday - highly recommended!
Contact Details for The Slug and Lettuce, Rivonia.
If something becomes you, do you look good in it,
or did you just eat it?
The Favourite Accounting Program of Non-Accountants
QuickBooks uses everyday terms like
"invoice a customer", "enter bills", receive payments". None of
that confusing "Debtors" and "Creditors" stuff! Easy to install,
use. Invoices, bills, bank accounts, useful graphs, VAT, all in one place.
Simple Start R1199, Pro version R2999 from Software Africa:
e-mail or call 011 802-2685
Julius accidentally swallowed his tiny modern cell phone.
He rushed to the doctor.
The doctor gave him a strong laxative and said, "Take this and, if it's
not out in two days, give me a ring."
- Fish Diner in Grosvenor Crossing – Sea grill, Char Grill & raw bar, take-away.
- Banjaara Indian Restaurant, Shop 15 in Grosvenor Crossing – no more Samoosa, bunny chow, kebab, chicken tikka, Tandoori, curry, or Vindaloo.
- The double-storey block in Mutual Mews is being renovated and the following, all upstairs, appear to have closed (perhaps temporarily):
- SRS's Saloon, – Professional Hair Stylists specialising in African hair.
- Clean Sweep – Domestic Cleaners, daily char service, housekeepers, cooks, gardeners, childminders.
- The Hustler Shop.
- In Morningside Shopping Centre:
- Make Scents, Shop U18a –
Importers of authentic fragrances at discounted prices.
- Butterfly Twists, open stall in Upper Level – Ladies fold-up pumps and boots.
- Cameroon & Cameroon By Night, Shop U22 – Clothing: Men's and ladies'. Casual, evening dresses, shoes, accessories.
- Si Belle, Shop U23 – clothes and evening wear for ladies of smaller sizes (Si Belle Plus, for larger ladies, closed earlier).
- Silhouette, Shop U41 – importers and stockists of the Ika label
of ladieswear. Moved from Village Walk Sept 2012.
- Lucky Moo Restaurant, Shop L16 – no more "Yum Yum Chinese Food".
- Bretties Lingerie, Shop L21 – ladies' underwear.
- Stars SA, Shop L09 – Ladies' clothes by owner-designer. Opened November 2011.
Advertise here: Be Seen by up to 5030 Shoppers!
Only R120 per issue for a banner like this or a similar square column advert!
or call 082 389-3482.
Public Interest: Iatrogenic Disease
Back to top
Judith was gaining weight despite eating lightly, had a persistent
hacking dry cough for what seemed like several years, and severe pains
in her legs. A chance conversation led us to look up the side
effects of Prexum Plus, a medication she had been prescribed for high
blood pressure three years ago. We discovered that the problems
she was having were all known side-effects of this drug. The
doctor who prescribed it had said nothing about possible side-effects.
Judith put this to our GP, who said, yes, they could well be
side-effects of Prexum Plus, and undertook to prescribe a different
blood pressure medicine, "without side-effects". She prescribed
Co-Pritor. The side-effects of this were even worse than those of Prexum
Plus, so much so that Judith gave up after two tablets! To add
insult to injury, the doctor had casually prescribed 28 of these
expensive tablets, which of course one cannot return –rather than, say, 7 in order to test for side-effects first.
Notably, Judith had been to this doctor several times with the
original symptoms, and the doctor was aware that she was on Prexum Plus,
but had somehow not connected this with the symptoms! It took our
research to uncover dozens of similar cases.
Judith is now treating her blood pressure by herbal means. Her cough
has stopped, her leg pains are gone, and her mass is reducing.
Some lessons can be drawn from this. (a) Your GP (who may also
be our GP) quite possibly has no clue about the potential ill effects of
the medicine she is prescribing, and probably isn't interested in
finding out. (b) When you are prescribed a new medicine, get a
small supply first. You will be throwing less money down the drain
if you have to abandon it. (c) When you start a new medicine and you
also start getting new illnesses, check the side-effects of the new
medicine: Not only on the package insert, which usually downplays them,
but also on the internet.
"Iatrogenic" Disease? That's a medical problem caused by a
Checking Out: "Vanish" Works!
For those of you who doubt the efficacy of the
stain remover "Vanish", look what it did to the girl who was