Green Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
Car Service City, near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Northern Sandton.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Convenient Conference Café:
From a one-hour business meeting for 5, to a week-long indaba for 42
with all audio-visual aids, coffee and food.
5 Dunwoody Shopping Centre, 147 Western Service Road, Woodmead.
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
Joan Bisschoff 071 539 2831
Clarissa Teixeira 083 282 4789
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton:
Grayston Shopping Centre
Shopping in and around Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Well at Your Next Presentation!
Transformers Toastmasters meets 2nd and 4th
Monday of each month at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, at
18:45. Aspiring speakers are welcome! Contact Judith Taylor on 082 389 3481 or
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
Your Business Running Better!
The skills shortage is a big problem! De-skill
your business and preserve knowledge by putting your expertise into
step-by-step processes for staff to follow.
Software Africa can help!
e-mail or call 011 802-2685
The "Perfect" place for salads, subs, pasta, pizza, burgers, chips, soft drinks.
Open 10:00-21:00 every day. Free delivery of orders R60 and up within 3 km.
Nick: 011 656-0652,
This month saw World Food Day on Thursday, 16 October. Did you remember
to eat? –Well done.
There was also World Thrombosis Day on 13 October – Did you hear any
of the useful programmes on how to avoid having a thrombosis?
Confusing that Food Day is in favour of food, but Thrombosis Day is
In news, it was reported that the SAPS lost 1200 Detectives in the
last financial year. As Oscar Wilde might have remarked, to lose
one may be regarded as a misfortune, but to lose 1200 looks like extreme
carelessness. Fortunately, the Police can benefit from my
experience: Have they tried looking where they saw them last? I
find that technique often works with my keys.
Saturday heralds the start of "Movember", when public-spirited men
(and some ladies, let's not be sexist) grow moustaches in aid of
charity. I grew one last year, but I'm not sure how any charity
benefited. Which charity would like my moustache this year?
Seriously, you can
read more and sign up here.
The little Riverside Shopping Centre
on Bryanston Drive and River Road has now caught the dreaded "Renovations"
disease, and looks like it is being rebuilt from the ground up. Most of
the shops there have either closed or moved, although a few hardy ones are still
holding out or have relocated within what is left of the centre.
Summer has arrived! Have a "COOL" Fresh haircut here at Dads&Lads with a
Refreshing Tea Tree Head massage. Take the year's stress away with our
tantalizing Tea Tree massage --- you deserve it! Down the escalators in the
Main Block to the Lower
Level in Sunninghill Village, Sunninghill.
or call 011 803 5015 for more Queries.
There was this retired seamstress who failed at farming:
She had no success sewing seeds.
Dr Riaz Wadvalla, Dr Nafeesah Wadvalla
The Bridge Shopping
Centre, Gibson Drive, Buccleuch: 011 656-1090
Mon-Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-2pm
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- Jacksons Real Food Market in Riverside Shopping Centre – Grass fed, free range, hormone-free and pasture-reared meats. Local small real food producers and
farmers. Artisan bakery, pastries and coffee shop. Open M-F 09:00-18:00, Sat 08:00-15:00, Sun 09:00-15:00.
- Delhi Dharbar Restaurant, Shop C06/C07 on Hobart Road in Hobart Grove Centre – "Exquisite Indian food, made by authentic North-Indian chefs in a real Tandoori Oven" (it must be terribly hot and cramped for them in there). A la carte menu, take-aways, catering, functions.
- Il Localino Ristorante, Shop D03, D: Main Square Northwest in Hobart Grove Centre
– "Your local Italian Restaurant".
- MotoMate Bike & Accessory World moved from Woodmead Commercial Park to Shop 06 in Rivonia Crossing 2, Paulshof – Motorcycles, accessories, scooters, commuters, servicing and repairs, tyres and fitment.
- Harper & Schiller Physiotherapy has become Olivia Schiller Physiotherapy, Shop 15 in Chilli Lane Shopping Centre Sunninghill – Physiotherapists.
- Dr Shanta Moodley's Child Friendly Dental Surgery has moved from 1st Floor in Coachman's Crossing to 273 Bryanston Drive, Corner Wilton Ave, Bryanston, near Riverside Shopping Centre.
- Urban Escape Lifestyle Centre in Hobart Grove Centre has moved from B08, Block B (Medical Suites), to Suite A, Block C (on Hobart Road) – Spa & Skin Care, uses Dermalogica products and has photographic room.
- Century 21 Modhomes, Shop A03, Total Forecourt in Hobart Grove Centre – Real Estate agents.
- New in Grosvenor Crossing:
- Lexi's Kouzina, Shop 05 – Greek deli and catering. Fresh and frozen meals to suit every palate. Platters, tarts, cakes, biscuits, cupcakes, brownies made to order.
- Avina's Beauty Spa, Shop 06.
- Radiant Functions, Shop 12 – Organise functions and events. Hire, rental and supply of couches and cocktail items, décor, accessories and set-up, chairs and tables, glassware, cutlery, gift bags, vases.
- Kai Thai Spa, Shop 13 – Traditional Thai massage, full body and foot treatments, facials.
- Wriggle It, Shop 15 – Indoor play centre for kids. Play structure, arts and crafts, toddler play area, games and books, party venue and coffee shop. Open daily 09:00-18:00.
- Pick ‘n Pay Liquor, Shop 01, Lower Level in Morning Glen Mall
– Next to the eastern entrance on the lower level. Replaced Picardi Rebel. Your Smart Shopper card works here too.
- New on the 1st Floor in Rivonia Village above Checkers:
- Royal Haberdashery, Shop FF07/08/09 – "A dressmaker's paradise". Stockists of bridal fabric and accessories, sewing accessories, wool, fabric, curtaining and accessories, suiting material.
- Spero Wellness Centre, Shop FF10 – Educational Psychologist, Dore Practitioner, Clinical Psychologist, Physiotherapist, Nutritional Therapist, Homeopath, Reflexologist, Chiropractor.
- Bodytec, Shop FF13 – Personal fitness training with electro muscle stimulation (EMS): 20 minutes training once a week.
- First Pointe Dance and Wellness, Shop FF14 – Rad ballet classes, Pilates, fitness, dance classes for children aged 2+ to young adults; adults (all ages) beginners to advanced.
- Richard's Fitzone, Shop FF15 – Personal fitness training with weights and equipment.
- Eve's Hair, Shop FF11 – Ethnic hairdresser.
- Get Fit Challenge Jozi (Suite 3), 1st Floor in Coachman's Crossing – A 12 week challenge: Participants attend a 1-hour group training session once, twice or thrice a week, run by at least 2 personal trainers. Prizes up to R30000.
- Sofisticlean Dry Cleaners, Ground in Coachman's Crossing – Dry cleaning, tailoring, laundry, dying, shoe repairs, curtain cleaning, carpet cleaning machine.
- GoodFellas Barbershop, Shop 04, Ground in Coachman's Crossing – Men’s
- The Depot, Ground in The Wedge, Morningside – Stalls of homeware and crafts. In the building to the left of Food Lovers Market. Opening 1 November 2014.
- Ocean Basket - Opening Soon, Shop 11 in Morning View – Seafood and sushi restaurant chain.
NOW OPEN at 16 Waterval Crescent, Woodmead!
Over 8000 items to choose from: Toys, gifts, stationery, kitchenware, houseware, plasticware, multimedia, car sound and much more! Open Mon-Fri: 09:00-17:00 (Fri closed 12:00-14:00), Sat: 9:00-17:00, Sun: 10:00 - 14:00.
Tel: 011 656 6068, email:
saIes@osmans.co.za Group web site
by Judith Back to top
*** Salé e Pepe da Giovanni, Morning View
Centre, South Road, Morningside
A new venture on our part, as we have seldom eaten at this centre. The
restaurant is well laid out with attractive tables and decor. Austin found
us a table and brought the menu. This is a fairly expensive venue where
starters can be around R80. However, there is no objection to sharing! We
ordered Sauvignon Blanc and Appletiser, plus a calamari and Chorico half and
The service was excellent and the pizza good. It was somewhat cold
though, as we had not taken coats and the doors were wide open for the early
part of our meal. Ended with
an Irish coffee. We would go again, preferably on a warmer night!
Contact Details for Salé Pepe da Giovanni.
Funny Language, English...
The phrase "with
respect" is often used in conversation or interviews to imply that the speaker
has little or no respect for the person addressed!
Commercial Fats-Oil-and-Grease Trap Cleaning and Installation
Commercial kitchens, restaurants, hospitals, clinics, offices, and residential complexes! Do you have a grease trap as required by the Municipal by-laws? Is your
grease trap being maintained regularly? We do installation, maintenance & cleaning.
call Fabien 072 445 4560 / 087 802 6324. Web.
Dead, and Never Called Me Mother!
Back to top
- Gone from Riverside Shopping Centre:
- Traditional Astrologer & Holistic Healing – Apparently the stars did not predict the renovations.
- Manie Grove Studios – Photographic Studio, creating your special memories, now a memory itself.
- Kushido Karate-Do Martial Arts – Self-defence - self-awareness - self-confidence.
- Exhale, Shop 03 – Beauty Salon: Facial and body. Drawn its last breath.
- Bryanston Pools and Renovations – Not before time. John's Motto: "We're not interested".
- Voila! – Previously-loved clothing. Previously-loved shop.
- Riverside Wellness Centre – Infrared treatments, chi treatments, vacuflex reflexology, dermascan.
- Morgan & Mason – Lou Harvey bags, accessories and soft finishings, er, furnishings.
- Just in Time – Lovely old things, antiques, clothing, bric-a-brac. Now late.
- Gone from Coachman's Crossing:
- Vet to Pet, Shop 04 – Vet store for dogs, cats, birds, etc. Food and accessories.
- Dry Clean City – Dry cleaning, tailoring, laundry, shoe repairs, curtain cleaning, dying, now died.
- Inktec – Printer refills and cartridges: Shot.
- Gone from Grosvenor Crossing:
- Zilly's Restaurant, Shop 11 – Light meals and snacks.
- Image Perfection, Shop 16 – Laser Lipo studio - slimming, now slimmed down totally.
- Love Hair – Unisex hairdressers, waxing (now waned).
- Basil Elk Real Estate Bryanston Office, Shop 12 – Property
sales and rentals.
- Gone from Hobart Grove Centre:
- Taj Mahal North-Indian Restaurant, Shop C06/C07, Hobart Road.
- Junipa's Cake Studio – Was upstairs in Hobart Road. Wedding cakes, birthday cakes, novelty cakes, etc. (Junipa's Restaurant still open.).
- Tribe Multisports, – Was in Total Forecourt. Nutrition advice, and equipment for trail
running, road running, mountain biking, road cycling, swimming, triathlon.
- Pen-It Stationers – Moved from below Fruits & Roots to Ferndale Village Shopping Centre, con Main & Oxford Strs (near the Magistrate's Court). Tel 011 326 4048.
- Picardi Rebel Bottle Store, Shop 01 in
Morning Glen Mall – Rebel without a shop?
- House of Judaica, Shop 34A in
Morning Glen Mall – Jewish books and gifts. Was closed on Saturdays and Jewish holidays, now permanently.
- Weigh-less (Suite 1) in
Rivonia Village – Slimming Club, now slimmed down to nothing.
- Pure Beauty Day Spa and Wellness Centre, Shop U02 in
Kelvin Village Shopping Centre
– Ladies' and men's haircuts, massage, facial / body therapy, waxing and
threading, nails, make-up.
Understanding South Africa
In Zulu, the equivalent of "please" is "ngicela", which translates literally
as "I am asking" (implied: "politely"). Hence, Zulu speakers will often
say in English "I am asking for..." instead of using the word "please".
The lack of "please" has offended many non-Zulu speakers who don't understand
the cultural nuance.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R190/month!
5941 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
Green Tip by Samantha Derham:
Tips to Help Save Water
Back to top
SA really is a water-stressed country.
Living in an urban environment, which most people reading this do, we have had the luxury of not really thinking of where water comes from further than turning on the tap, and it’s there. Most people have heard that South Africa is a water stressed country, but have you experienced that? Driving through the streets of Johannesburg it is not uncommon to see thousands of litres of water being used casually to ‘sweep’ a dirty drive-way.
Go a few hours without water and we very quickly start to realise how much we rely on water for so many things. After a few days or weeks without access to water from the turn of a tap, if this convenience is all you have known, and the feelings of anger and despair at how useless our government is quickly dominate.
Did you know that about half of the people living in South Africa still do not have access to tap water? Did you know that the total amount of water in our rivers and dams is barely enough to meet our growing demand for water, and we are on the brink of that equation being in the negative? It’s not spoken of nearly enough in the media, from our government, from where ever it is needed to be spoken about, but South Africa, is well and truly on the brink of a water crisis.
How much water did you use to wash the dishes last night? And brush your teeth this morning? How would you know? Did you measure it? Did you think about trying to use as little as possible? Most people don’t. First of all, measuring it is not exactly easy, but water is actually still very cheap – compared to the amount that we are using, compared to the price of electricity, the amount on our bills at the end of the month is probably not enough for justify making the effort to reduce our water use.
But maybe, just maybe, the water supply issues that Johannesburg experienced
over the past few weeks are enough to make us start thinking again about our
some tips to reduce water use around the home.
Julius says that, when Jacob goes, he will be sourly missed.
The Favourite Accounting Program of Non-Accountants
QuickBooks uses everyday terms like
"invoice a customer", "enter bills", "receive payments". None of
that technical "Debtors" and "Creditors" stuff! Easy to install,
easy to use. Bank accounts, bills, invoices, customer and supplier
lists, useful graphs, VAT, all in one place.
Premier version R3999, Pro R2999, from Software Africa: e-mail or call 011 802 2685.
Overheard at the Checkout:
"Hi Sally! That's a huge bag of 'slimming' cat
food you have there."
"Hello Cindy; Yes, Tiddles is driving me crazy: He keeps
putting on weight!"
"Let me guess: Are you feeding him extra 'slimming'
cat food to try to slim him down?"
"Of course... why?"