Green Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
Car Service City, near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Sandton.
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Convenient Conference Café:
From a one-hour business meeting for 5, to a week-long indaba for 42
with all audio-visual aids, food and coffee.
5 Dunwoody Shopping Centre, 147 Western Service Road, Woodmead.
Shopping Centres and Shops in and near Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Shops
Rivonia Oriental City
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Joan Bisschoff 071 539 2831
Clarissa Teixeira 083 282 4789
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops in Woodmead
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton and
Grayston Shopping Centre
The Colony, Craighall Park
Well – Become a Leader!
Transformers Toastmasters meets 2nd and 4th
Monday of each month at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, at
18:45. Aspiring speakers are welcome! Contact Judith Taylor
on 082 389-3481 or
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
The "Perfect" place for salads, subs, pasta, pizza, burgers, chips, soft drinks.
Open 10:00-21:00 every day. Free delivery of orders R60 and up within 3 km.
Nick: 011 656-0652,
This month we updated The Core, Sunninghill
and Nicolway, Bryanston.
Two more different centres could hardly be found!
The Core is a small shopping centre tucked away on back roads in Sunninghill,
Sandton. It operates largely in the daytime on weekdays. The shops
run mainly to personal services (hair, nails, skin care, fitness) and food
(juice bar and several restaurants). There is a gym. Parking is free
and in the open.
Nicolway Shopping Centre is on the major thoroughfare of William Nicol Drive, Bryanston.
By contrast, it is a huge centre (over 23,000 m²), in design a much bigger copy of the
successful Morningside Shopping Centre: Two main levels of shopping, each with
two entrances –one at each end– from parking. Parking is on the main road on
three levels (two covered), and charged for exorbitantly. The anchor tenants
sit at opposite ends of each main passage: Checkers and Dis-Chem on the
"Lower-class' level, and Woolworths and Food Lovers Market on the
"Upper-Class" level. The restaurants are mainly arranged along
the upper parking so that you can admire your vehicle. Here you will find
pretty much anything your heart (or stomach) desires. Of course there is
also a gym (on the middle parking level), if walking around the centre were not exercise enough!
Summer has arrived! Have a "COOL" Fresh haircut here at Dads&Lads with a
Refreshing Tea Tree Head massage. Take the year's stress away with our
tantalizing Tea Tree massage --- you deserve it! Down the escalators in the
Main Block to the Lower
Level in Sunninghill Village, Sunninghill.
or call 011 803 5015 for more Queries.
Efficiency Expert: "Jones, what do you do here?:
Efficiency Expert: "Khumalo, what do you do here?"
Efficiency Expert: "Aha! Duplication!"
Dr Riaz Wadvalla, Dr Nafeesah Wadvalla
The Bridge Shopping Centre, Gibson Drive, Buccleuch: 011 656-1090
Mon-Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-2pm
- Curry and All, Shop 6, Ground in Sandton Court.
- OCD (Only Cocktail Destination), Shop 18, Ground in The Core Sunninghill – Cocktail bar with music, food and cocktails, a floating wall of select draught beers, live sports. Venue for hire.
- The Meat Lounge, Ground in The Core Sunninghill – Come and enjoy the Tshisa Nyama experience.
- Swim Champs, Shop 11, Ground in The Core Sunninghill – Swimming School.
- Envy, Shop U15A, Upper Level in Nicolway Bryanston – South African fashion: Ladies' clothes and accessories.
- Jeauval Fusion, Shop L29, Lower Level in Nicolway Bryanston – Hair Salon, "at the forefront of hair care and styling for over 20 years".
- KP Graphics Marketing, somewhere in Nicolway Bryanston.
- Maneki, Shop U05A, Upper Level in Nicolway Bryanston – Designer & Manufacturer of Cutlery, Jewellery & Arts. Next to Woolworths.
- Salomon, Shop U41A, Upper Level in Nicolway Bryanston – Trail Running, Hiking & Active Wear: footwear, clothing, bags & packs, accessories.
- The Security Store, Shop L46, Lower Level in Nicolway Bryanston.
- Twisp, in Nicolway Bryanston – Electronic Cigarettes.
- Yankee Candle, Shop U29, Upper Level in Nicolway Bryanston – Candles: large, medium & small jars. Fragrances, car jars, room sprays.
- Mat's Pharmacy, Shop U12, Ground in Kelvin Village Shopping Centre – Medical prescriptions, patent medicines.
- NEB - Nezo Elegant Boutique, Shop U2, Ground in Kelvin Village Shopping Centre – Ladies' clothing.
- LocoLiq Liquors Kelvin, Shop U04, Ground in Kelvin Village Shopping Centre – Wide range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
- Tastii Cuisine, Shop U08, Ground in Kelvin Village Shopping Centre – African Restaurant and catering. Rice meals, garri, pounded yam, samp & tripe, pap & cow heels, soups. Take-aways.
NOW OPEN at 16 Waterval Crescent, Woodmead!
Over 8000 items to choose from: Toys, gifts, stationery, kitchenware, houseware, plasticware, multimedia, car sound and much more! Open Mon-Fri: 09:00-17:00 (Fri closed 12:00-14:00), Sat: 9:00-17:00, Sun: 10:00 - 14:00.
Tel: 011 656 6068, email:
saIes@osmans.co.za Group web site
Restaurant Reviews by Judith Back to top
*** Local India, Kelvin Village Shopping Centre
Now for something completely different, and Local India is very different.
They have the biggest screen we had ever seen, so if you like watching TV
without sound, this is the place for you! The welcome was warm
and service good, however many things on the menu were not available. This
made deciding on a drink for my partner very difficult as there were no juices
available at all. He ended up opting for hot chocolate instead. I
chose the Neil Ellis Sauvignon Blanc from the limited wines available, and we decided to share the lamb curry
The latter came with a choice of Tastic or Basmati rice plus Naan or Roti.
We chose Basmati and Rotis. I had my curry medium whilst my partner's was
mild. The curries were good although the amount of starch was
Would we go again? Possibly for the good value for money, because it
certainly was excellent value.
Contact Details for Local India Restaurant and Takeaway.
Commercial Fats-Oil-and-Grease Trap Cleaning and Installation
Commercial kitchens, restaurants, hospitals, clinics, offices, and residential complexes! Do you have a grease trap as required by the Municipal by-laws? Is your
grease trap being maintained regularly? We do installation, maintenance & cleaning.
call Fabien 072 445 4560 / 087 802 6324. Web.
Funny Language, English...
If you turn the air conditioner up, does that mean
hotter (temperature up) or colder (power use up)?
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R190/month!
Now 6003 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
- Tropical Schwarma & Greek Taverna, Shop 6A in Sandton Court –
No longer open 24 hours.
- Wurstbude / My Biltong / My Indian Kitchen, Shop 6B in Sandton Court –
No more Biltong and German sausage.
- Cell-C Morning Glen, Shop 06 in Morning Glen Mall – Cell phone contracts, cellular phones and accessories.
- Matrix Warehouse Computers, Shop 08 in Morning Glen Mall
– computers, laptops, notebooks, printers, cameras, media players,
- Latte Mezze in The Core Sunninghill
– Bistro, deli, bakery, cocktails, functions.
- Ubukhosi Travel & Tours, Shop 03 in The Core Sunninghill
– Tours and Travel.
- Caprice, Shop U29 in Nicolway Bryanston – Men's and ladies' fashion accessories.
- GHDesigns, Shop L29 in Nicolway Bryanston – Unisex hairdressers.
- Willowbrook Cotton Company, Shop L13 in Nicolway Bryanston
– baby clothes and linen, shaggy bunnies.
- Crystal Soul, Shop L38 in Nicolway Bryanston – Silver, rings, watches, accessories, bags, scarves.
- Hydraulics, Shop U41a in Nicolway Bryanston
– Men's' and ladies fashion.
- The Changing Room, Shop U15a in Nicolway Bryanston.
- 69 Slam, Shop L46 in Nicolway Bryanston – men's and ladies underwear and swimwear.
- Sandown Flowers and Gifts, Shop L09 in Kelvin Village Shopping Centre – your professional floral service.
- Kelvin Vineyard Liquor Cellars, Shop U04 in Kelvin Village Shopping Centre – drinks.
Julius says there's no love lost in tennis.
The Favourite Accounting Program of Non-Accountants
QuickBooks uses everyday terms like
"invoice a customer", "enter bills", "receive payments". None of
that technical "Debtors" and "Creditors" stuff! Easy to install,
easy to use. Bank accounts, bills, invoices, customer and supplier
lists, useful graphs, VAT, all in one place.
Premier version R4399, Pro R3299, from Software Africa: e-mail or call 011 802 2685.
Green Tip by Samantha Derham: The Ocean is not too big to be destroyed by humans
Back to top
There is simply far too little attention paid to the impact human
activities are having on the Ocean. Maybe because it is so big that we
think that the damage we do won't be significant enough to have an
impact. Or maybe it's because we can't see the damage we are causing
like you can see and feel if a whole forest of trees were cut down, or a
river polluted. You wouldn't think that the ocean fish stocks are being
massively depleted because there is always fish available to be
purchased. Canned tuna remains one of the cheapest forms of protein.
But the truth of the matter is human activities are killing our oceans.
Are killing them. As in now. This moment. Not in the future. This
process started when trawl fishing started on a world wide commercial
scale using sonar from the mid 20th century, and later GPS, which
allowed ships to go directly to the closest school of fish. By 1990 over
90 million metric tons of fish and by-catch had been extracted from the
ocean. That is equivalent to over 200 000 fully loaded Boeing 747-8
airplanes!. Yields have
declined since and attempts were made to limit commercial fishing, but
with little effect. And it's not only overfishing that is leading to the
massive decline of fish. Huge levels of both chemical and plastic
pollution are also having a detrimental impact.
And when our oceans run out of fish, ocean dynamics which control our
climate will change detrimentally. There will be less oxygen (as oceans
actually produce the majority of the oxygen we breathe), there will be
more carbon dioxide. It will be bad. Very bad. Make no mistake.
this very informative article by Daniel DeNoon in CBS News tell
you the rest. Please take the time to just be aware of this issue:
2048. That's when the world's oceans will be empty of fish, predicts an
international team of ecologists and economists. The cause: the
disappearance of species due to overfishing, pollution, habitat loss,
and climate change.
Things you can do? Honestly, the biggest culprits here are Asian
countries who consume many times more fish than the Western population,
so the most important thing you can do is to know that this is
happening. Research more and tell other people. Raise the general
awareness of the issue. But one has to be the change they want to see in
the world. So eat less fish, try only eat line fish, or sustainably
and litter less (especially the small stuff like cigarettes).
If you would like more information on choosing the best fish to eat,
this website is very helpful.
Read more by Samantha Derham at
Furnished Rooms to Let in Morningside Manor, 1 December
Close to shops and
International Hotel School. Two rooms, carpeted, TV. Shared bathroom. Rent includes water, electricity, cleaning, bed linen, towels, washing and ironing. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail us, or
Overheard at the Checkout:
"Look at how precise these shelves are! They must have been arranged by a compulsive obsessive!"
"Obsessive-Compulsive, dear: We're particular about how we're labelled."