Green Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
Car Service City, near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Northern Sandton.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Convenient Conference Café:
From a one-hour business meeting for 5, to a week-long indaba for 42
with all audio-visual aids, coffee and food.
5 Dunwoody Shopping Centre, 147 Western Service Road, Woodmead.
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
Get Your Business Running Better!
The skills shortage is a big problem! De-skill your business and preserve knowledge by putting your expertise into
computer software, giving step-by-step processes for staff to follow.
Software Africa can help!
e-mail or call 011 802-2685
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton:
Grayston Shopping Centre
Shopping in and around Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Well at Your Next Presentation!
Transformers Toastmasters meets 2nd and 4th
Monday of each month at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, at
18:45. Aspiring speakers are welcome! Contact Judith Taylor on 082 389 3481 or
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
The "Perfect" place for salads, subs, pasta, pizza, burgers, chips, soft drinks.
Open 10:00-21:00 every day. Free delivery of orders R60 and up within 3 km.
Nick: 011 656-0652,
Editorial Festive Wishes
This month we're early, hoping to catch readers who might be going away. If
we're already too late for you, sorry! –Read us in the New Year. Speaking
If you celebrate
Christmas, Chanukah, ChriFSMas, Yule, Arba'een, Mawlid an-Nabi, the
Solstice, the Festive Season, Kwanzaa, or the New Year: Have a Great Time, and stay safe!
With dog-in-the-manger Eskom, led by our incompetent Government, determined to destroy the
economy rather than allow independent power producers to help, there is little
cheer this Festive Season. Why are we not toyi-toyiing at Megawatt Park
and the Union Buildings? Too tolerant, too busy trying to keep our lives and our
businesses running, that's the problem. Nevertheless, there is some cheer
to be had (see Restaurant Review picture below)
and some ways of mitigating the blackouts (Green Tip below).
Despite the short month, we still have plenty of changes for you: in Rivonia Village, Rivonia Junction,
Bryanston Shopping Centre, Cambridge Crossing,
and Petervale Shopping Centre.
The famous Codfather Restaurant has moved, and the delightful Winnie's Soul &
Jazz Restaurant has reopened.
Summer has arrived! Have a "COOL" Fresh haircut here at Dads&Lads with a
Refreshing Tea Tree Head massage. Take the year's stress away with our
tantalizing Tea Tree massage --- you deserve it! Down the escalators in the
Main Block to the Lower
Level in Sunninghill Village, Sunninghill.
or call 011 803 5015 for more Queries.
The Statistician, when the spouse says, "you're
impossible!", replies, "no, dear, just very highly improbable".
Dr Riaz Wadvalla, Dr Nafeesah Wadvalla
The Bridge Shopping
Centre, Gibson Drive, Buccleuch: 011 656-1090
Mon-Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-2pm
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- The Codfather Restaurant has moved from the Codfather Village of Restaurants in First Avenue, Rivonia, to Sandton Skye, 3 Stan Road off Grayston Drive between Rivonia Rd and Benmore Rd, Sandton. It is not clear what has become of the other restaurants from that
centre, which is closed for renovations.
- Vida e Caffe, Ground in Rivonia Village – Coffee shop opposite Checkers. Wide variety of coffees, some tea, frio, sumo, Portuguese rolls, croissants, toasted sandwiches, salads, muffins, other snacks.
- Roco Mamas, Ground in Rivonia Village – Burger Restaurant. Cheeseburger, cheese+bacon burger, mushroom, shoe string fries, design your own, wings, salads, dips.
- Dominos Pizza Rivonia, Ground in Rivonia Junction – Wide variety of pizzas: Three choices of bases, many standard pizzas or design your own; drinks and dips. Free delivery in 30 minutes.
- Chesa Nyama, Shop G1, Ground in Rivonia Junction – Serving the best matured A-grade meats, flamed-grilled in our open-plan kitchen, accompanied by a secret traditional pap and sauce or freshly-cut chips.
- Golden Rose Chinese Food and Sushi Bar, Shop 18, Ground in Cambridge Crossing – Chicken, pork, beef, duck, vegetable, prawn, calamari, fish, noodles, noodles, rice, desserts. Sushi of all kinds.
- Ladylike Hair and Barberazzi, Shop 16, Ground in Cambridge Crossing – Unisex hairdressers sharing the same premises.
- Sorbet Beauty Salon Paulshof, Ground in Cambridge Crossing
– Health & Beauty: Face and body professionals for Ladies, Teens and Gents.
- Bryanston Hair Studio, Shop 3, Ground in Petervale Shopping Centre – Ladies' Hair Salon. Open Monday to Saturday.
- Cycleworx, Shop 2a, Ground in Petervale Shopping Centre – "The bicycle workshop": Servicing bicycles, making friends. Saturday specials for riders.
- Ballet Début, 1st Floor in Petervale Shopping Centre – Ballet classes for children from 3
to adults; Beginners to Advanced.
- Carbon Black Auto, Rivonia 7th Avenue in Rivonia Area Shops – High-end new, pre-owned and luxury sports cars. Finance available if you don't need it. Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Mercedes Benz, BMW, Aston Martin.
- Executive High Class Car Wash, Basement in Rivonia Junction – They will wash your car and pray for it at the same time. The car wash works, the prayers may not.
- Winnie's Soul & Jazz Restaurant, Ground in Wendywood Shopping Centre – Reopened! Music and food! Prices on the high side, probably to pay for the entertainment.
- Café del Sol Botanico, Shop 89, Upper Level in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Monday closed, Tuesday to Saturday: Lunch and Dinner, Sunday: Lunch Only.
- Black Betty, Shop 18A, Lower Level in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Jewellery & Accessories. Hand-cut precious- and semi-precious stones in handcrafted pieces by Kristin Weixelbaumer.
- The Christmas Shop, Shop 11A in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Lower level, across from FNB.
- @home The Sleep Shop, Shop 29A, Upper Level in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Everything you need to add impeccable style to any bedroom.
NOW OPEN at 16 Waterval Crescent, Woodmead!
Over 8000 items to choose from: Toys, gifts, stationery, kitchenware, houseware, plasticware, multimedia, car sound and much more! Open Mon-Fri: 09:00-17:00 (Fri closed 12:00-14:00), Sat: 9:00-17:00, Sun: 10:00 - 14:00.
Tel: 011 656 6068, email:
saIes@osmans.co.za Group web site
by Judith Back to top
**** Lobster Trap, Naturally
Yours Wellness Centre, cnr Culross and Main Road, Bryanston:
A recently opened restaurant above Chez Girard and possibly one of the more
expensive ones that we have been to eat. The furniture is surprisingly all
plastic and minimalist. Greeting was warm and the lighting very good for
intimate dining. They do not have a wine list but a wine column displaying
the various bottles and the prices. I chose the Anura Chardonnay.
This proved to be an excellent choice and one of the best wines I have savoured
in a long time. My partner opted for mango juice and was not disappointed.
He chose the fried fresh hake and I chose the Seafood Millefeuille. The
hake was pronounced very good. Alas the sauce on my choice proved too sweet
and was returned for rectifying. The replacement was very good as I could
now taste the flavours instead.
I am endlessly puzzled by chefs who think that a tomato-based sauce requires
sugar. That apart, the food is good and the wine choice excellent.
The Lobster Trap is an expensive restaurant with main courses all over R100 and
starters from R50 upwards. The wines start from R140. Very
worthwhile for a special occasion –and ask for no sugar to be put in the tomato
Right: Sign at the entrance to the restaurant.
Disappointingly, there was no "load shedding" that evening, or a much more
exciting time could have ensued.
Contact Details for Lobster Trap.
Funny Language, English...
Don't break the car when you should brake it!
Commercial Fats-Oil-and-Grease Trap Cleaning and Installation
Commercial kitchens, restaurants, hospitals, clinics, offices, and residential complexes! Do you have a grease trap as required by the Municipal by-laws? Is your
grease trap being maintained regularly? We do installation, maintenance & cleaning.
call Fabien 072 445 4560 / 087 802 6324. Web.
Lost and Gone Forever:
Back to top
- Grooming Centre, Shop G1 in Rivonia Junction
– Caucasian and ethnic hair and beauty.
- Delhi Palace in Cambridge Crossing
– North Indian Tandoori Restaurant and take-away.
- Video Spot in Cambridge Crossing
– The (former) Video specialists.
- Yasuqi Cuisine, Shop 18 in Cambridge Crossing
– Chinese food and sushi.
- Therabeautic Skin and Body Clinic in Cambridge Crossing – Professional skin and body care therapists.
- Tshukudu Biltong, Shop L04 in Nicolway Bryanston – Game biltong.
- The Multisport Basement, Shop 5, Lower Level in The Square Sunninghill – Support and equipment for cycling, swimming, trail hiking, trail running, triathlon, ultra running and mountain biking. The Bike Basement is still open in Rivonia Crossing 2.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R190/month!
Now 6033 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
Grammar and Grandpa
Santa's elves: Are they subordinate Clauses?
Weather the Electricity Cuts
Back to top
In February, we bought a 1400 VA Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). While mains power is on, the batteries charge from mains.
When the power trips, the UPS cuts in and supplies AC power until mains power
returns. At R9,462, the unit was not cheap, but with the recent constant
blackouts it has proven itself essential. It gives us lights for the office, and
can run five computers, a server, and their screens, for 4½ hours and more.
It is also wonderful to have for the short power interruptions that previously
forced desktop computers to be restarted.
To get yours, contact Emergency Reaction Services, Tel 011 234 6000, email
Strictly speaking, that is not a "green" tip, inasmuch as the UPS is
a net user of electricity. It does, however, keep us from going
red in the face! It is also more ecological –and cheaper in the
long run, not to mention much quieter– than the alternative: a
generator. To make it greener, we are looking at adding
photovoltaic panels to generate our own power from the sun. We will keep
you posted on progress.
The Favourite Accounting Program of Non-Accountants
QuickBooks uses everyday terms like
"invoice a customer", "enter bills", "receive payments". None of
that technical "Debtors" and "Creditors" stuff! Easy to install,
easy to use. Bank accounts, bills, invoices, customer and supplier
lists, useful graphs, VAT, all in one place.
Premier version R3999, Pro R2999, from Software Africa: e-mail or call 011 802 2685.
Overheard at the Checkout:
"Hi Joe! How did your experiment with ride
"It worked for the first week, but then I got a wrist
inflammation from driving through too many underpasses."
"That's odd... what was it?"
"The Doctor called it 'Carpool Tunnel Syndrome'."