Restaurant Review ~
Business Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Above Car Service City,
off Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Northern Sandton.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
We are looking for full-time and part-time staff with Hairdressing college qualifications to join our
Sunninghill team of hairstylists. If you are stable, creative, and committed, send your CV to
will be contacted if your
CV is acceptable.
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
Get Your Business Running Better!
The skills shortage is a big problem! De-skill your business and preserve knowledge by putting your expertise into
computer software, giving step-by-step processes for staff to follow.
Software Africa can help!
e-mail or call 011 802-2685
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton:
Grayston Shopping Centre
Shopping in and around Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Well at Your Next Presentation!
Transformers Toastmasters meets 2nd and 4th
Monday of each month at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, at
18:45. Aspiring speakers are welcome! Contact Judith Taylor on 082 389 3481 or
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
The "Perfect" place for salads, subs, pasta, pizza, burgers, chips, soft drinks.
Open 10:00-21:00 every day. Free delivery of orders R60 and up within 3 km.
Nick: 011 656-0652,
In this month's shopping fix, we have a large crop of new businesses or, at
least, ones that are new to us! This includes a cafe and two Indian
restaurants, one of which we review. For knives, torches, paintball and
other fun things, go to Hunting & Tactical Supplies in Mias Centre in
Woodmead. Visiting the little Woodmead Commercial Park, we discovered
ChicShab Afro-Chic Warehouse in shop B3. The shop
is worth visiting just for the wonderful smell of woven grass mats, not to
beautiful African-themed items.
Sadly, while there, we also found that Custom Hobbies, the amazing model shop,
had closed. If you don't want your start-up business to do likewise, read the Business Tip
below for a free on-line course. If you are concerned about our democracy –and
we hope you are– come to the FMF talk mentioned below and find out what is happening
to the Rule of Law.
If you thought Cindy got away with her remark at the checkout, read on... but
first, a way that you can make an immediate difference:
Whole hills swept down over the beautiful and delicate rural villages of Nepal on Saturday. Thousands were crushed, more are missing and the country is crying out for water, food, and shelter. It’s devastating and in the middle of it all this one brave local organisation is using everything they have to put up tents in the hardest hit remote areas. We can make all the difference for this group, and many others across Nepal, literally multiplying their budgets by 10, empowering them to build for the long term and keeping their emergency work funded in hard to reach places.
Click here to make a donation via Avaaz. (Avaaz.org is a 41-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. "Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.)
So you bought unfertilised eggs? Spare a thought for
the person whose job it is to unfertilise them.
Dr Riaz Wadvalla, Dr Nafeesah Wadvalla
The Bridge Shopping
Centre, Gibson Drive, Buccleuch: 011 656-1090
Mon-Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-2pm
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- On The Court... With Penny, Central in Rivonia Area Shops – Hand-selected, hand-made gifts, crafts and special things. Open Monday to Friday 9:00–15:00 and every 2nd & 3rd Saturday of the month at No. 8, 8th Avenue Rivonia.
- The Dance JunXion (Suite 5-5A), 1st Floor in Coachman's Crossing – Salsa classes and Ballroom Couple Dancing, sensual Argentine Tango, Fun Hip-hop, Contemporary, Kids classes - and many more dance genres. No partners required.
- Sorbet Drybar Hurlingham, Shop 09, Upper Level in Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre – Hair Salon.
- Make-Up Designory (MUD), Shop 53, Upper Level in Morning Glen Mall – Make-up products and make-up education.
- Pick ‘n Pay Good Food Studio, Upper Level in Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre – Vida Café, venues for cooking classes, auditorium for demonstrations, classrooms, wine room, formal dining area. Ideal space for breakfast clubs, book clubs, tea parties, product launches, directors' lunches, etc.
- Liège Café, Shop 30/32, Ground in Atholl Square – Breakfast, brunch, lunch, bakery, patisserie, pastries, fine dining.
- Tashas Kitchen, Shop 17, Ground in Atholl Square – Experimental and cutting-edge cookery that will, if successful, find its way into Tashas main menu.
- Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant, Ground in Atholl Square – North Indian cuisine: Eat in or take away. Starters, bunny chow, roti rolls, tandoori grills, breyani dishes, chicken, lamb, seafood, salads, vegetarian.
- Magnificent Health (Suite 5), First Floor in Atholl Square – Health store, vegan coffee & juice bar, nutritional blood analysis, other health services.
- Xtreme Nutrition, Ground in Grayston Shopping Centre – Sports supplements and other stuff to mess with your body, at remarkable prices.
- @Home, Ground in Grayston Shopping Centre – Homeware, tableware, crockery and cutlery, small appliances, linen, towels, candles.
- Medifam Family Medical Wellness Centre, Shop LG1 under the Pharmacy, Ground in Grayston Shopping Centre – ADD/ADHD Consultant, Baby Clinic, Biokineticist, Chiropractor, Psychologist, Massage, Dermatology, Dietician, General Practitioners, Laser Specialist, Paediatric Nurse, Physiotherapist, Podiatrist, Psychiatrist, Skin Care, Speech Therapy, Executive Medicals, Exorcist (just kidding!)
- New Look Hair & Beauty Salon, Shop 20 Waterval Crescent, Mia's Centre in Woodmead Area – Ladies' and Gents' hair cuts, face massage. Threading and waxing. Gents shave.
- Sealy Mattress Gallery, Shop AC, Building A in Woodmead Commercial Park – Try out the full range of Sealy mattresses and base-sets, in all sizes and comfort levels.
- On Tap, Shop AF, Building A in Woodmead Commercial Park – bathroom, kitchen and plumbware products, plumbing supplies and hardware.
- ChicShab Afro-Chic Warehouse, Shop B3, Building B in Woodmead Commercial Park – African food bowls, storage and laundry baskets sustainably woven from palm, bamboo and sisal; water cans made from tins; crochet raffia ottomans; benches and bean bags covered in recycled cotton, etc.
- Floors Direct, Shop C3, Building C in Woodmead Commercial Park – wood and laminated flooring, vinyl and carpets. Moved from Value Mart.
- Smeg Outlet Store, Shop G7, Building G in Woodmead Commercial Park – "Technology with style".
- Trellidor, Shop 2 Autumn Road, Cnr 12th Ave and Autumn Road in Rivonia North – The "Crime Barrier" people.
- Vintage India, Cnr 12th Ave and Autumn Road in Rivonia North – Cosy Indian restaurant. See Restaurant Review below.
- Hunting & Tactical Supplies, Mias Centre, 20 Waterval Crescent, in Woodmead Area Shops – Camouflage clothing, knives, lights, torches, crossbows, sights, scopes, paintball, pellet guns. BB guns, personal protection, reloading equipment, cleaning equipment, training equipment, bags, gloves, headgear, self defence.
- Blockhouse and Cookhouse, 18 Waterval Crescent, in Woodmead Area Shops – Interior furnishing, kitchen tools and cookware.
NOW OPEN at 16 Waterval Crescent, Woodmead!
Over 8000 items to choose from: Toys, gifts, stationery, kitchenware, houseware, plasticware, multimedia, car sound and much more! Open Mon-Fri: 09:00-17:00 (Fri closed 12:00-14:00), Sat: 9:00-17:00, Sun: 10:00 - 14:00.
Tel: 011 656 6068, email:
saIes@osmans.co.za Group web site
by Judith Back to top
**** Vintage India, Autumn
Road and Louise Terrace, off 12th Avenue , Rivonia
Hiding away, in a little park behind Bamboo, is this restaurant we spotted on
our way to Soweto in the morning. As that trip did not take as long as
expected, we decided to investigate! We slipped through between the wooden
fence and the wall on the Autumn Street side and went into what appears to be a
converted house. The space is well filled with tables and unusual chairs
which are quite heavy but comfortable. The service was instantly attentive
and we ordered a Tomato Cocktail and a glass of Red House Wine. Then we
went through the extensive menu.
This is laid out differently, in a table with the curry sauces on the left hand side and
the choice of vegetable, cheese, meats or fish across the top. The choices
are extensive and priced between R59 and R89 with some dishes somewhat more
expensive. In the end I ordered a Chicken Tikka starter, and my partner Chicken
The Chicken Tikka was good and spicy to hot. It was served with lettuce
and a generously juicy slice of lemon. The Chicken Makhani, which came with
Basmati rice, looked, smelt, and was pronounced good. The red wine is worth
drinking - very smooth and pleasant!
Altogether, good food and excellent service with the bonus of being excellent
value for money! We will call again..
Contact Details for Vintage India.
Funny Language, English...
If you are unwelcome when you intrude, why don't they
ask you to extrude?
Commercial Fats-Oil-and-Grease Trap Cleaning and Installation
Commercial kitchens, restaurants, hospitals, clinics, offices, and residential complexes! Do you have a grease trap as required by the Municipal by-laws? Is your
grease trap being maintained regularly? We do installation, maintenance & cleaning.
call Fabien 072 445 4560 / 087 802 6324. Web.
Gone to Their Just Reward:
Back to top
- Sunglass Discount Warehouse, Shop 03 in The Wedge, Morningside – Designer Sunglasses.
- Define Your Image (DYI) in The Wedge, Morningside
– Watches: Police, Timberland, etc.
- Solaris Hair Design, Shop 34 in Atholl Square.
- Country Living Interiors in Atholl Square
– Home & Décor. Furniture, gifts.
- Bistro Il Rosso in Atholl Square
– Traditional Italian Restaurant.
- EC Mac, Shop 10 in Atholl Square
– Apple Authorised Reseller.
- Smartcom in Grayston Shopping Centre
– Vodacom cellular Services.
- Mega Couch & Mattress, Toyota Building, 14 Waterval Crescent in Woodmead Area Shops – Mattresses, couches and beds.
- KM Furniture, B2 Livingstone's Lifestyle Centre, 20 Waterval Crescent in Woodmead Area Shops – Home & Office Furniture and Sanitaryware.
- Vogue Hair Studio, Shop 08 in Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre – hairdressers.
- Solomons Bedding, Shop AC in Woodmead Commercial Park – Stockists of mattress and base sets.
- Unlimited Solar Woodmead, Shop C3 in Woodmead Commercial Park – Solar Geysers, Heat Pumps, LED Lights and other energy efficient products.
- National Auto Glass Woodmead, Shop AF in Woodmead Commercial Park – South-African-made windscreens. Door glass, chip repairs, smash & grab tinting, building glass, table tops.
- Custom Hobbies, Shop B3 in Woodmead Commercial Park – Radio-controlled cars, buggies, scale models, planes, gliders, yachts, die cast models, carpet racing.
- Sandton Paint Centre, 129d Autumn Road, just off 12th Ave in Rivonia North.
A Tight Game?
Julius says that when Pirates failed to clench the match, their supporters clinched their jaws and their fists.
Tip: Free Business Startup Training
Back to top
Peter Carruthers, author of "Crashproof Your Business", a speaker and
internet entrepreneur of note, invites you to join him for six fun, entertaining,
and deeply educational live online webinars starting Tuesday 5 May at 8pm.
He writes: "Small business failure rates suck. In any other system a 50% failure rate in the first
year would be seen as a reason to recall each car that came out of that factory.
Or to fire the teachers. Or to ban the pastime. I am vexed because we do not see beyond the numbers. This cascade leads to
divorces and bankruptcy. Worse, we punish these fallen heroes even though
starting up was their only option when they could find no work.
"Today we have so much more than we ever had. Instant access to any info. Tech
that lets us reach across the globe. We can start up almost for free. We should
not be failing nearly as often.
"I intend to stop it. I think that I can get that failure rate down to 10% with
common sense training and peer support. For free. Through the web via mobiles,
tablets, and PCs. Before they start. We no longer have excuses.
"My target: Train 1,000,000 people to build start-ups that sail past that first
year threshold. Get that closure rate down to 10%, with a parachute that lets
people down gently without losing their marriage, their home, their car...
"As we remove risks from starting up we also reduce the risk of it closing early.
We make it more robust.
"You know some people who want to start up. Maybe they're fresh out of school, or
fresh out of a job, or fresh into motherhood, or have just closed a business.
These people need start-up street-smarts fast.
"Please do me the courtesy of checking out my
free course for start-ups at the new Academy of Small Business."
Wanted: Dynamic Software Tele-Salesperson!
–the popular and easy Accounting Package– and the Autodesk range
of products –AutoCAD and the Suites, the world's most popular and
versatile engineering, architectural and artistic design software.
Basic salary, generous commission, and the prospect of growing with the company.
e-mail us your CV.
The Decline of the Rule of Law in South Africa
The Rule of Law is not what most people think… It is not
about whatever the law is, being upheld. It consists of 3
• Separation of powers
• Lack of discretionary power
• Objective certainty.
The idea is that rights and obligations should be determined by
unambiguous and objective law rather than by ‘the rule of man’. Despite
our constitution’s founding value being the “supremacy of the
constitution and rule of law”, there has been a systematic dilution and
erosion of the rule of law. One of the most extreme examples is the
Financial Services Board which has the ability to legislate without reference to the Legislature, to implement, police
and enforce its laws, to adjudicate disputes, and impose penalties,
which it keeps. Prof Robert Vivian calls such entities "states within a
state" since a single entity performs all three functions of government
under one roof.
Quasi courts, called ombuds and tribunals, have proliferated. The
function of an independent judiciary is being relocated into the
executive branch, rendering the legislative and judicial
branches of government increasingly redundant.
Principles of good law, such as the presumption of innocence,
due process, and the absence of retro-activity, are vanishing. Time-honoured checks and
balances are ignored by these quasi courts that use administrative
discretion, unconstrained by clearly stated objective criteria. Increasingly,
laws are vague and lawfulness is determined retro-actively with the onus
on people to prove their innocence.
INVITATION: "The Decline of the Rule of Law in South Africa", a
presentation by Leon Louw, Executive Director, Free Market Foundation,
on Wednesday, 6 May at the Free Market Foundation, 170 Curzon Road,
Bryanston. Time: 17:45-18:15 Registration & cheese 'n wine, 18:15-20:00
Presentation. Please book your individual place here
(essential as seating is limited). Entry is free but a donation is appreciated.
The Favourite Accounting Program of Non-Accountants
QuickBooks uses everyday terms like
"invoice a customer", "enter bills", "receive payments". None of
that technical "Debtors" and "Creditors" stuff! Easy to install,
easy to use. Bank accounts, bills, invoices, customer and supplier lists, useful graphs, VAT, all in one place.
Premier version R3999, Pro R2999, from Software Africa: e-mail or call 011 802 2685.
Overheard at the Checkout:
"So Cindy, if wearing a hijab saves you getting your
hair done, why stop there?"
"Faizela, you mean...?"
"Wear a niqab and you don't need make-up either!"