Green Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Above Car Service City,
off Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Sandton.
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
We are looking for full-time and part-time staff with Hairdressing college qualifications to join our
Sunninghill team of hairstylists. If you are stable, creative, and committed, send your CV to
will be contacted if your
CV is acceptable.
Shopping Centres and Shops in and near Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Shops
Rivonia Oriental City
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Well – Become a Leader!
Transformers Toastmasters meets 2nd and 4th
Monday of each month at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, at
18:45. Future leaders are welcome! Contact Judith Taylor
on 082 389-3481 or
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops in Woodmead
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton and
Grayston Shopping Centre
The Colony, Craighall Park
Almost all of us will one day need a blood transfusion
– Yet only 1% of people donate blood!
Make a difference to society! Your nearest donor centre is at
Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Avenues, Craighall.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
The "Perfect" place for salads, subs, pasta, pizza, burgers, chips, soft drinks.
Open 10:00-21:00 every day. Free delivery of orders R60 and up within 3 km.
Nick: 011 656-0652,
Focus on Thatchers Corner...
On the corner of Main and Witkoppen Roads, Greater Bryanston, there is a set of huge billboards
(possibly erected without municipal approval?). The casual passer-by may
not realise that there is anything behind the billboards! There is: It is
a small centre called Thatchers Corner.
Thatcher's Corner is a cluster of shops in little cottages, probably a
repurposing of several residential stands. It houses an eclectic mixture of
businesses, mostly body care and home improvement. Located in Main Road,
just off Witkoppen Road, it is only accessible from the southbound lane
(going into Sandton) on Main Road.
The services you can get here include:
- Ladies hairdresser, Nail & Beauty Bar, Skin and body service. Facials, waxing, sugaring and threading.
massage, reflexology, deep tissue oil massage, sports massage, aromatherapy.
- Maids, pest control, carpet cleaning and upholstery, hygiene services,
commercial cleaning, deep cleaning.
- House builder. Tennis court maintenance. Interior paint techniques & décor.
- Installation and servicing of garage doors.
- Metalwork: Balustrades, pool fencing, security products, palisade fencing,
coating, decorative gates, fences, garden accessories and hire.
- Aluminium door installation, shop fronts.
- Waterproofing, damp proofing, drainage, by the appropriately named Mr
- Glass repairs, mirrors, bevelling, skylights, table tops, patio doors,
sandblasting, glazing, window film.
- Appliance repairs: fixing
everything electronic, hair straightener repairs, ghd spare parts.
- Printing of posters, flyers, magazines, books, banners, gazebos, vinyls,
invoice books, etc.
- Moving boxes, storage and filing boxes, bubble wrap, and packaging material.
...and Hobart Grove
A minor "facelift" is underway involving shops moving from the Total
Forecourt to other places in the centre, mostly the right-hand part of Block D,
under Fruits and Roots (see below). Forty bays of overflow parking have been added,
accessible via a ramp in front of Simply Asia Restaurant. A new patio is being constructed for Simply Asia. Other improvements are to follow.
Dr Riaz Wadvalla, Dr Nafeesah Wadvalla
The Bridge Shopping Centre, Gibson Drive, Buccleuch: 011 656-1090
Mon-Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-2pm
Gardeners and Engineers both use bushes, but for very different purposes.
Would you like some Vesconite bushes for
your patio? –Very durable!
NOW OPEN at 16 Waterval Crescent, Woodmead!
Over 8000 items to choose from: Toys, gifts, stationery, kitchenware, houseware, plasticware, multimedia, car sound and much more! Open Mon-Fri: 09:00-17:00 (Fri closed 12:00-14:00), Sat: 9:00-17:00, Sun: 10:00 - 14:00.
Tel: 011 656 6068, email:
saIes@osmans.co.za Group web site
New on the Block, Movers
and Shakers Back to top
- Versus Paint Specialists, Shop 14, Lower Level in Morning Glen Mall – Inside Sensational Blinds & Flooring. Free colour consultations and paint advice (by appointment only).
- Chicken Licken, in a freestanding block next to William Nicol Drive in Sloane Square –
Fast-food chicken take-away, drive-through and eat-in.
- Autowash Car Wash in the Sloane Square
car park on the right of Chicken Licken.
- Sloane Square Wellness Centre, Upstairs in Sloane Square – Registered Counsellor,
Pilates Instructor, Physiotherapist, and Meditherm Clinic.
- Sum It Up Maths Education, Upstairs in Sloane Square – Primary and/or High School Maths, Science, Accountancy, English, homework supervision. Tutors wanted.
- Automac Rivonia, 375 Rivonia Boulevard, off 12th Ave Rivonia in Rivonia North Shops
– Mechanical and auto electrical workshop. Vehicle services, repairs,
diagnostics and tuning.
- Jack & Jill Stationers, 375 Rivonia Boulevard, off 12th Ave Rivonia in Rivonia North Shops – Stationery. Facilities Management. Office Machines. Consumables. Computer Supplies. Office Furniture.
- Legends Studio, Shop 21, Ground in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – Lipo, laser, and lashes. Non-surgical slimming.
- Country Meat Bryanston, Shop 14/15/16, in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – Meat market, artisan butchery, delicatessen, eatery. Fresh beef, lamb, pork and chicken. dairy products, Baked goods, cold meats, sauces, spices, Free State biltong and droëwors.
- Cell Clinix, Shop 10, Ground in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – An out of warranty and liquid damage repair centre for almost any make of cell phone.
- Designer Bites, Shop Kiosk 1, Ground in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre
– Catering, confectionery & events. designer cakes. cake pops, catering
platters, event styling, candy stations.
- Bodytec, Shop D10, Main Square Northwest in Hobart Grove Centre – Personal fitness training with electro muscle stimulation (EMS).
- Dr T Fletcher - Opthalmic Surgeon, Shop B07b, B: Medical Suites in Hobart Grove Centre – MBBcH (Wits), FC Ophth
- Century 21 Modhomes Real Estate agents moved from A03:
Total Forecourt to Block F: Main Square in Hobart Grove Centre
next to the Pharmacy.
- Mowit (formerly Mower Services), moved from A02, Total Forecourt
to Shop D08, Main Square Northwest in Hobart Grove Centre
– Lawnmower service and sales.
- Bryanston Graphics & Framing, moved from A04, Total
Forecourt to Shop D09, Main Square Northwest in Hobart Grove Centre – Framing and Art.
- Urban Africote, moved from A04, Total Forecourt to inside
Bryanston Framing, Shop D09, Main Square Northwest in Hobart Grove Centre –
Coatings and paint, wallpaper, coloured floor screeds, tiles, cladding,
sealers and bonding agents.
Commercial Fats-Oil-and-Grease Trap Cleaning and Installation
Commercial kitchens, restaurants, hospitals, clinics, offices, and residential complexes! Do you have a grease trap as required by the Municipal by-laws? Is your
grease trap being maintained regularly? We do installation, maintenance & cleaning.
call Fabien 072 445 4560 / 087 802 6324. Web.
Restaurant Reviews by Judith Back to top
*** Tasha's, Atholl Square
The restaurants in the Grayston Shopping Centre being notably unBanting
friendly, we went on to Atholl Square and were enticed into Tasha's which now
opens until 21:00 except Sundays and Mondays. The interior has been
changed since I was last there (about two years ago) and is now very sparse and
very noisy. Not somewhere to go for an intimate meal! It is child friendly and the staff are happy to take small children off their parents'
hands. However, they do bring them back later!
For drinks, we ordered hot chocolate and a glass of Painted Wolf Merlot.
The latter was exquisite and tempting enough for a second glass much later on!
On the food side, my partner ordered linguine Alfredo and I ordered Mariachi
without the wrap. Both were excellent and the feast of avocado and
tomatoes plus olive oil in the Mariachi was really perfect. Service was
attentive and good. The black coffee, which rounded things off for me, was
great. Altogether an enjoyable meal which was only marred by my partner's
being affected by diarrhoea afterwards. Not sure what caused it - perhaps
the ham not being completely fresh? We don't know.
Can recommend the service, the child friendliness and overall good food.
Contact Details for Tashas Café.
*** Piza E Vino, The Wedge,
Again, a noisy restaurant, so not for that special intimate evening!
However, their fire was warming the interior and the cold patrons who needed
warming up. Their hot chocolate is frothed milk with a jug of pour-in
thick chocolate. I think the jug needs to be bigger as the drink was found
to be too milky. The Middelvlei Merlot was excellent. Food was the
Carpaccio and a medium Regina pizza. The latter met expectations although
it could have been crisper. The Carpaccio turned out to rare beef, which
was unusual. The real disappointment was that it was described as coming
with olive oil. Well, it didn't. Balsamic vinegar instead which was
not a Banting choice. They are changing their menu to be more Paleo/Banting
friendly next month.
Their coffee is also excellent and the service was reasonable. Prefer
sitting on the balcony and, seeing the heating going on there, may well return
to take a table there again and enjoy more quiet!
Contact Details for Piza e Vino.
Funny Language, English...
Sports are strange. When they bring
"uncapped players" onto a team, who uncapped them beforehand? What do they do
with the caps?
Versus Paint Specialists for Free Paint Advice
Shop 14, Morning Glen Mall, inside
Sensational Blinds & Flooring, Lower Level next to the escalators.
Free colour consultations and paint advice (by appointment only): Call
011 885 3136.
- Mi Vami in Sloane Square – Schuvarma
- Fish and Chips in Sloane Square – "old fashioned" take aways:
fish, calamari, Russians.
- Bryanston Paint and Hardware in Sloane Square –
were stockists of paints, DIY hardware and tools.
- Fig Tree Bay in Sloane Square
– In East Block. Restaurant, light meals.
- Xclusive, Kiosk 1 in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – Manufacturer, importer, wholesaler and retailer of
- Woolworths Food, Shop 14-16 in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre
- Novel Books, Shop F08a in Hobart Grove Centre –
sadly, another Bookshop gone.
- The Firm, Shop B03 in Hobart Grove Centre – Slimming & Health Clinic.
- Hilton Alexander Financial Services, in Hobart Grove Centre – Was
Shop B01: Medical Suites.
Furnished Rooms to Let in Morningside Manor, Now or 1 July
Close to shops and bus routes, carpeted, TV. One large (12 m2), north-facing, with shared bathroom. One smaller (9 m2), with private bathroom. Rent includes water, electricity, cleaning, bed linen, towels, washing and ironing. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail us, or
Julius says he would give his right hand to be ambidextrous.
Sandspruit rises in
the Wilds in Johannesburg. It flows past Killarney Mall, through the golf
course and James and Ethel Grey Park, between the M1 Motorway and Melrose Arch,
and into Sandton at Innesfree Park. The river flows under Katherine Street
and South Road, past Ernest Ullmann Park, under Kelvin
Drive, Eighth Avenue and 12th Avenue, Rivonia. Thence it flows under the
N1 Highway and Witkoppen Road to Confluence in Paulshof where it joins the
Braamfontein Spruit to flow into the Jukskei River and eventually into
Hartebeestpoort Dam. This is where the litter that people drop on northern Joburg
We go for regular walks along the
Sandspruit on Sunday mornings, starting from 126 Kelvin Drive (opposite Gary
Ave) at 08:00 sharp. We alternate one week upstream, one week downstream.
We hike 1½ to 2 hours along the river, viewing birds, picking up
litter, and removing invasives. Our North walk (more scenic) is downstream, Kelvin Drive to
the about 8th
Avenue Rivonia. South (more rugged) goes upstream via Gary
Avenue and Ernest Ullmann Park
to the South Rd area. You are
welcome to join us by prior arrangement, with your well-behaved and properly socialised dogs.
Donations of R10 upwards per person for trail
improvement are welcome.
The Favourite Accounting Program of Non-Accountants
QuickBooks uses everyday terms like
"invoice a customer", "enter bills", "receive payments". None of
that technical "Debtors" and "Creditors" stuff! Easy to install,
easy to use. Bank accounts, bills, invoices, customer and supplier lists, useful graphs, VAT, all in one place.
Premier version R4399, Pro only R3299. 30% discount on upgrades from Software Africa: e-mail or call 011 802 2685.
Remember the scam we mentioned in March? The one where a business acquaintance's
iPad was stolen and the thief spammed his address book, looking for a "loan"
into a trusted FNB bank account?
We promised a follow-up, so here it is.
I recently phoned 087 575 0000, which I understood was the Fraud Line and spoke to Shalain, who told me that the Fraud Line was actually 087 575 9444, to which she
transferred me. There I spoke to Charles, who told me that the Fraud Line number
was only for new cases; for follow-ups I should select Option 2 at 087 577 4444,
to which he transferred me. There I spoke to Elsie, who told me that she could
only pick up the case from an account number or an ID Number, not my call
reference. I should in future call their Forensics Department at 011 352 5111,
to which she transferred me. At that number, when I asked for Forensics, they
put me through to Edith, who turned out to be back at 087 575 9444. She said
that they deal only with phishing. The people I need to speak to are not at
firstname.lastname@example.org (whom I originally emailed)
and cannot be phoned directly. I should email the Banking Channel Hotline at email@example.com with the details and ask that they call me back. I duly did
Dare I suggest that FNB's system is not as efficient as it could be? Might
this be a reason that criminals seem to get away with their frauds so easily? To add insult to (his own) injury, my business acquaintance never opened a
case, he just reported the loss to the police. He even refunded R1000 to
someone on his address list who was taken in by the scammer. Talk about
making it easy for criminals!
Still, persistence paid off. FNB phoned me with an explanation:
The FNB account-holder was selling Bitcoin to the scammer, which was why he gave
out his account details. The transaction did not go through after full
payment did not occur and FNB put a watch on his account. It seems that my
business acquaintance will get his R1000 back, now that somebody has followed it
By the way, the FNB lady mentioned that the Bitcoin may be part of a larger
con. People are advertising Bitcoin for sale, collecting the money, and
not delivering the Bitcoin. This seems to be easier to get away with,
since Bitcoin is not a "real" currency.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R190/month!
6334 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
Overheard at the Checkout:
"You're looking pleased with yourself! Did
you win the rat race?"