Restaurant Review ~
Health Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Above Car Service City,
off Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Sandton.
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
We are looking for full-time and part-time staff with Hairdressing college qualifications to join our
Sunninghill team of hairstylists. If you are stable, creative, and committed, send your CV to
You will be contacted if your CV is acceptable.
Shopping Centres and Shops in and near Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Shops
Rivonia Oriental City
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Well – Become a Leader!
Transformers Toastmasters meets 2nd and 4th
Monday of each month at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, at
18:45. Future leaders are welcome! Contact Judith Taylor
on 082 389-3481 or
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops in Woodmead
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton and
Grayston Shopping Centre
The Colony, Craighall Park
Almost all of us will one day need a blood transfusion
– Yet only 1% of people donate blood!
Make a difference to society! Your nearest donor centre is at
Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Avenues, Craighall.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
The "Perfect" place for salads, subs, pasta, pizza, burgers, chips, soft drinks.
Open 10:00-21:00 every day. Free delivery of orders R60 and up within 3 km.
Nick: 011 656-0652,
Focus on Kinetic Sports Centre
Also known to some as Biokinetic Centre, or Biokinetic Sports Centre, and
formerly called Exercise & Nutrition Centre, this complex is in
southern Rivonia on the corner
of Rivonia Road and North Road, accessible from North Road. The
services you can get here include Biokinetics by a qualified Biokineticist;
physiotherapy; three options for personal fitness training (including by
one of South Africa's authorities on bodybuilding); Aromatherapy and Swedish
Massage; a hairdresser; and several options for skin, body, nails, and eyelashes.
In the centre there is a swimming school, called "Goof".
this was meant to be "goef", Afrikaans slang for "swim', not
American "goof" as in "I
made a silly mistake (with the name of my swimming school?)".
Readers who were paying attention will have noticed that Morningside Cycles
moved out of this centre to Grosvenor Crossing, where they are now called
Their premises in Kinetic Sports Centre have been taken over by Cycle Tech who
are also in Barbeque Downs. Cyclic are retailers of Yeti mountain bikes, so if
you are a Yeti in need of a bicycle, visit them is Grosvenor Crossing.
If you need some refreshment after (or before!) your workout, Freda at Black
Scottie Café can offer you breakfast and light meals ranging from the healthy to
the decadent. There is also Lebanese Laffe, consisting of chilli, beef, or
chicken, plus hummus in a Lebanese wrap. You will have to visit them to find out
what a "Lebanese wrap" is.
Dr Riaz Wadvalla, Dr Nafeesah Wadvalla
The Bridge Shopping Centre, Gibson Drive, Buccleuch: 011 656-1090
Mon-Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-2pm
Odd Jobs – or Nominative
"Chester Missing", the puppet animated by ventriloquist Conrad Koch, is,
well, missing in transit. Imagine the conversation as the airline tries to
understand Conrad's problem: "Yes, I know you said he is missing, but what is his
NOW OPEN at 16 Waterval Crescent, Woodmead!
Over 8000 items to choose from: Toys, gifts, stationery, kitchenware, houseware, plasticware, multimedia, car sound and much more! Open Mon-Fri: 09:00-17:00 (Fri closed 12:00-14:00), Sat: 9:00-17:00, Sun: 10:00 - 14:00.
Tel: 011 656 6068, email:
saIes@osmans.co.za Group web site
New on the Block, Movers
and Shakers Back to top
- Pappadums, Shop 56, Upper Level in Morning Glen Mall – Indian Restaurant, opening on 1 August next to Woolworths.
- Fashion Wear-House has become Ecko Unlimited Outlet, Shop 13 in Woodmead Super Value Centre
– Branded clothing in a relaxed style.
- World of Décor Kramerville – Wallpaper, Blinds, Laminate Flooring, Mirrors and more. 12 Archimedes Street, Kramerville.
- Ink 4 Less, Shop 19 in Early Dawn Mall – Toner and ink refills. Ink cartridges. Digital and large format printing. ID and Passport photos. Framing.
- Revive Dry Clean Factory, Shop 12 in Early Dawn Mall – do not want to give contact details, and probably do not want your business.
- Hush Puppies Outlet, Shop D, Upper Level in Woodmead Value Mart – Comfortable women's and men's shoes, and accessories.
- Kappa, Shop U, Upper Level in Woodmead Value Mart – Kappa-branded Ladies' and men's clothing for people on the move.
- Moto-Lube Rivonia, in Rivonia Area Shops – Car servicing and repairs, batteries, tyres, aircon, number plates, car wash. Cnr 7th Avenue and De la Rey Road, just off Rivonia Road next to Chicken Licken.
- Kinetic Sports Centre in Rivonia Area Shops.
New to us:
- Kinetic – Personal Training and Biokinetics. Stephen Muller, Biokineticist
- Black Scottie Café – Full breakfast, health breakfast, egg, croissants, toasted sandwiches, health rolls, Lebanese laffe, tea, coffee, hot and cold drinks, smoothies, cakes.
- Physio Fitness – Sports and Orthopaedics physiotherapy.
- Fran Healing Hands – Aromatherapy and Swedish Massage.
- Fitness Link – Personal fitness trainer.
- Sheriff Training Systems – one of South Africa's authorities on bodybuilding, aesthetic sculpturing, fat loss and muscle contest preparation.
- Hair 2 Day – Hair as individual as you are.
- Earth Bloom Laser and Beauty.
- Ruzana Skin & Body.
- Reggie's Nails Studio.
- Busi Nails & Lashes.
Commercial Fats-Oil-and-Grease Trap Cleaning and Installation
Commercial kitchens, restaurants, hospitals, clinics, offices, and residential complexes! Do you have a grease trap as required by the Municipal by-laws? Is your
grease trap being maintained regularly? We do installation, maintenance & cleaning.
call Fabien 072 445 4560 / 087 802 6324. Web.
Restaurant Reviews by Judith Back to top
*** The Green Peppercorn, Morningside Shopping Centre
The menus have now been pasted into books - sad loss of the opening to the
story, but a useful resource to have if the service is too slow! We
dropped in for lunch and made some mistakes. We should have asked for the
beverage menu as the ordered Ceylon tea was indeed Ceylon but an exotic black
tea and not the one expected. The glass of red white, however, was more
I ordered the Bone Marrow and had to go through exactly what I didn't want
with it, so ended up with salsa. The marrow was very good indeed and
gloriously messy. It should have been served with a finger bowl!
The cheddar omelette was a big disappointment.
by Llyod (is his
name spelt right on the till slip?) was good. I did ask about the
restaurant being more Banting friendly and was told that their attempt was a
complete failure. The fact that the steak was served with polenta
may be the reason. I did point out that this is not a Banting combination.
It's a pity. This restaurant used to be so good.
Contact Details for The Green Peppercorn.
Funny Language, Mathematics...
An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a
bar. “I’ll have a beer!” says the first one. “I’ll have half a beer!” says the
second. “I’ll have a quarter of a beer!” says the third. “I’ll have an eighth!”
says the fourth...
The bartender says, “You guys need to know your
limits” and pours two beers.
Versus Paint Specialists for Free Paint Advice
Shop 14, Morning Glen Mall, inside
Sensational Blinds & Flooring, Lower Level next to the escalators.
Free colour consultations and paint advice (by appointment only): Call
011 885 3136.
- Raashee Indian Restaurant, Shop 56 in Morning Glen Mall – Wide range of dishes; friendly staff.
- Jozi Finance (Rivonia), Shop 12 in Early Dawn Mall – Short-term loans.
- Foto First, Shop 19 in Early Dawn Mall – Photo shop, copies. Cameras, Albums, Frames, Batteries, Tripods, Bags, Memory Cards.
- IFE Travel Visa Passport cc, Shop 19 in Early Dawn Mall – Photographs for ID, driver's licence, passport, etc. Obtain certificates, permits, etc.
- Cats Digital Expert, Shop D in Woodmead Value Mart – Photographic, TV, Audio-Visual.
- Shoes Bulhafi, Shop S in Woodmead Value Mart – Ladies' high fashion shoes, widest selection, best prices.
- The Bed Store, Shop U (19) in Woodmead Value Mart – Beds and mattresses, bunk beds, sleeper couches, pillows, headboards, bedroom furniture.
- e-Car Rivonia - Unkel Kobus's Motors in Rivonia Area Shops – Car servicing and repairs, not reliable. Cnr 7th Avenue and De la Rey Road.
- Achilles Massage Clinic in Rivonia Area Shops – Sports massage, acupuncture, reflexology. Was in Exercise & Nutrition Centre, cnr Rivonia & North Roads, Rivonia.
Furnished Rooms to Let in Morningside Manor, 1 January 2016
Close to shops and bus routes, carpeted, TV. One large (12 m2), north-facing, with shared bathroom. One smaller (9 m2), with private bathroom. Rent includes water, electricity, cleaning, bed linen, towels, washing and ironing. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail us, or
Not That Early!
Julius heard that he should get vaccinated early for
flu season. So he asked for an appointment at 5 a.m.
Health News Back to top
What You Eat Affects Your Brain.
There are a lot more diagnoses of learning disabilities in children over the last decades. ADD, ADHD, and a host of other symptoms are often treated with psychotropic drugs, but is this really the solution? Much research is linked to how children’s diets affect their brain health. The solution to help combat these disorders
could very well lie in dietary changes as opposed to medication.
Essential nutrients for brain health include good fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. One of the best sources of good fats
is omega-3 oil found in fish, nuts, seeds, and dark leafy greens. Great sources of healthy proteins are nuts and grains. Lean meats such as chicken and fish also contain good protein for brain health so long as they are not fried. Complex carbohydrates found in whole grains act as the energy source for the brain. Unfortunately, too many children are not supplying their brains with these kinds of nutrients.
Information from the Newsletter of
Little Cooks Club: Teaching children to cook and eat healthily.
The Favourite Accounting Program of Non-Accountants
QuickBooks uses everyday terms like
"invoice a customer", "enter bills", "receive payments". None of
that technical "Debtors" and "Creditors" stuff! Easy to install,
easy to use. Bank accounts, bills, invoices, customer and supplier lists, useful graphs, VAT, all in one place.
Premier version R4399, Pro only R3299. 30% discount on upgrades from Software Africa: e-mail or call 011 802 2685.
Shopping Tips Back to top
Bryanston's Nicolway Shopping Centre is
having a Winter Sale, ending on Sunday 2 August.
Shopping hours are 09:00-18:00 Monday to Saturday, and 09:00-15:00 on Sunday. What
exactly is on sale, or what the discounts are, is unclear.
To find out, you will have to go yourself and pay their exorbitant parking
Talking of parking charges,
in early July
Rivonia Village decided to do away with the
free half-hour and start charging from the first minute.
Motorists voted with their cars and parked all along Rivonia Boulevard instead.
Now it seems that they have gone back to the free half hour. Morningside
Shopping Centre is also charging from the first minute, and has not yet seen the
error of its ways.
Why do some shopping centres charge for parking at all? It's
just a way to discourage shoppers! There is free parking for shoppers at
Ninety Degrees, The Wedge, Morningview, Early Dawn, Rivonia Junction, Hobart
Grove, all the "Crossing" centres, and many others.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R190/month!
6349 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
Overheard at the Checkout:
"It's illegal circumcision season again..."
"Yes: I hear that any young man who has a tipoff
should go to the Police."