Restaurant Review ~
Civic Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Above Car Service City,
off Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Sandton.
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Speak Well – Become a Leader!
Transformers Toastmasters meets 2nd and 4th
Monday of each month at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, at 18:45. Future leaders are welcome! Contact Judith Taylor
on 082 389-3481 or
Shopping Centres and Shops in and near Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Shops
Rivonia Oriental City
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops in Woodmead
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton and
Grayston Shopping Centre
The Colony, Craighall Park
Almost all of us will one day need a blood transfusion
– Yet only 1% of people donate blood!
Make a difference to society! Your nearest donor centre is at
The Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Aves, Craighall.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli on Top Centre
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
We are open 7 days a week and offer “Fresh Haircuts” during this hot season we are having... very cool! We also have other value-added services and specials. Please call 011 803 5015
for more information. We are down in the lower level in the main block down the escalators. Plenty of parking in the
Basement in Sunninghill Village.
Register 9-10 April for Municipal Elections!
If you missed Registration Weekend in March, you have another chance
–probably the last one– to register to vote: 9 and 10 April, 08:00 to 17:00.
Remember that in municipal elections you have to vote where you are registered,
and must be registered at the polling station that serves the voting district in
which you live. Make sure now by visiting
e-mail me your address and ID number.
If you are not happy with the state of municipal services, like uncollected garbage
strewn all over the streets by non-workers out on yet another unprotected
strike, this is your opportunity to vote in a better city government.
To register, go to the voting station with your ID book or new ID card. The
IEC will not accept as proof of identity: certified copies, drivers
licences, or Smart Shopper cards!
Paulshof West Residents, kindly note that the voting station for your part of Ward 106 has moved from the
SA Guide Dog Association to St Peter’s school. If you have previously voted at the Guide Dogs you will now have to go to the school.
No need to re-register.
“What’s new?”, asked a colleague. The
absent-minded physicist replied, “C over lambda”.
(for waves of electromagnetic radiation like
light, the speed of the wave, symbol "c", divided by its wavelength, the
symbol of which is the Greek letter lambda (λ), equals the frequency, symbolised
by the Greek letter nu (ν) –physics-geek humour from Sam Long, Illinois,
in AWADmail, corrected)
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- Rivonia On Deck in Rivonia North Shops – "Jozi's premier business and lifestyle centre". African dishes with a blend of local food influences and traditional ingredients. Replaced Caffe Della Salute, which replaced San Pablo Spur at 17 Autumn Road Rivonia, off Rivonia Road.
- Hair & Chats in Rivonia North Shops – Hair & Beauty Spa and Salon. Facials, massages, manicures, pedicures, hair treatment, barber and kids hair. At Rivonia On Deck at 17 Autumn Road, off Rivonia Road.
- Cotton On moved to Shop 61 next to Dion Wired in Woodmead Retail Park – Discount clothing, up to 50% off. "Australia’s largest value fashion group". Their place has been taken by:
- Factorie, Shop 31 & 32 in Woodmead Retail Park – Girls' and boys' clothing and accessories. Tech: speakers, phone accessories, headphones.
- Trappers, Shop B, Upper Level in Woodmead Value Mart – Outdoor clothes, tents, boots, jackets, raingear. Columbia international unisex sportswear.
- Europa Art Shoes, Lower Level in Woodmead Value Mart – Shoe Store.
- Forever New, Lower Level in Woodmead Value Mart – Ultra-feminine branded ladies' clothing.
- Fashion Fusion, Lower Level in Woodmead Value Mart – Formal, casual and leisure wear for ladies, men and kids.
- Brandmania, Lower Level in Woodmead Value Mart – Branded goods, e.g. Guess, Nine West, Aldo, Marion and Lindie. Open M-F 09:00-17:00, Sat 09:00-16:00, Sun 10:00-14:00.
- The Bed Store, Lower Level in Woodmead Value Mart – Beds and mattresses, bunk beds, sleeper couches, pillows, headboards, bedroom furniture.
- Global Brands, moved from Lower Level to Shop F, Upper Level in Woodmead Value Mart – Outlet store for Fila, Diesel, Sketchers, Soviet, Levis, Ecko. Shoes, boots, socks, men's clothing and underwear.
- Nike Factory Shop, moved from Lower Level to Shop P, Upper Level in Woodmead Value Mart – Nike branded running shoes, sports shoes, footwear, sportswear, clothes.
Wanted: Dynamic Software Tele-Salesperson!
–the popular and easy Accounting Package– and the Autodesk range
of products – AutoCAD and the Suites, the world's most popular and
versatile engineering, architectural and artistic design software.
Basic salary, generous commission, and the prospect of growing with the company.
e-mail us your CV.
Restaurant Review by Judith Back to top
*** Off the Grid, Cambridge Crossing, Stonehaven Road off Witkoppen Road, Paulshof
Once again without Tango the trainee Guide Dog, who had had a busy day, we decided to give my
partner a night off from cooking, as he has been doing all the cooking and
washing up whilst my back recovers from the falls I had earlier.
This pub does a wide range of beers including a non-alcoholic one. If you
are a lover of single malts, it's worth a visit as their prices are inviting!
So my partner had a real change with a Becks non-alcoholic beer whilst I
ordered the Porcupine Ridge Sauvignon Blanc - one of my favourites. His order
was simple - Chicken Schnitzel with mushroom sauce and the chips were crispy.
However they were also smothered in some kind of spice. We were assured
there was no MSG. I do feel that the use of spices on chips is not OK
especially when there is no mention of it on the menu.
I ordered the chicken fillet part of the chicken burger with a small salad.
The first time round, it came covered in basting sauce. Byron quickly got
this rectified! We Banters can be a pain in the life of restaurateurs!
It is a noisy place, as you would expect with a pub. They have live
music on Friday nights at least (didn't ask about over the weekend). Only
other moan - the smoke from the bar tends to drift into the non-smoking area
It is definitely a popular venue for after-work drinks!
Contact Details for Off The Grid.
A cold front moving in gives me a cold back.
The Favourite Accounting Program of Non-Accountants
QuickBooks uses everyday terms like
"invoice a customer", "enter bills", "receive payments". None of
that technical "Debtors" and "Creditors" stuff! Easy to install,
easy to use. Bank accounts, bills, invoices, customer and supplier lists, useful graphs, VAT, all in one place.
Premier 2016 version R4799, Pro only R3599. Up to 25% discount on upgrades from Software Africa: e-mail or call 011 802 2685.
- go'spresso, Shop 5 in Dunwoody Centre – Café and conference centre. Light meals and meetings.
- Jimmy's Fish and Chips in Rivonia Junction – Seafood including prawns.
- Reebok South Africa (Pty) Ltd, Shop 8 in Woodmead Super Value Centre – Reebok branded sportswear. Adidas has expanded into the former Reebok shop next door.
- Columbia Sportswear Company, Shop B in Woodmead Value Mart – International unisex sportswear, outdoor clothes, tents, boots, jackets, raingear. Now Trappers.
- Zoom Outlet Woodmead, Shop BB in Woodmead Value Mart – "Zoom" Branded shoes, sandals, boots.
- Floors Direct, Shop GG in Woodmead Value Mart – wood and laminated flooring.
- Yale Security Point, Shop 06 in Woodmead Retail Park – Security Shop.
- London Pie Co. in Woodmead Value Mart – pies baked on the premises and served from a (possibly authentic?) London Bus.
Self-Catering Single Room to Let Now in Morningside Manor
Secure, near International Hotel School, Boston College, Rivonia and central Sandton.
fully furnished and serviced single
bedroom, shared full bathroom,
Free Wi-Fi. Only R4,000/month. e-mail us, or
Julius says that an "advice" must be a device used to squeeze an advertisement.
Green Tip: Reduce your
Back to top
With garbage collection in the so-called "World Class African City" currently
erratic or not happening at all, it is a good idea to put out as little rubbish
as possible. Most organic materials can be composted in a compost heap or
buried in the garden. That includes all fruit peels, expired bread, etc.
If you don't have a garden, consider setting up a worm farm: you get excellent
plant fertilizer as an output. Contact
Earthworm Interest Group of SA (EIGSA).
Keep different materials separate for recycling:
Mpact Recycling (Phone 011 360 4000) collects
clean paper and cardboard
Tins, glass, and plastic can be taken to your
local garden waste depot; alternatively, your local person wandering the streets
with a trolley will be happy to remove tins and plastic bottles.
Put your plastic bags back in the car or in a shopping bag to re-use the next
time you go shopping.
It is quite possible to reduce the amount of rubbish that has to go to landfill,
from a full bin a week to just a shopping-bag full.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R133/month + VAT!!!
6,318 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
Doing Good: Petition and Donate for Sanitary Pads
Back to top
Young girls from low income communities are missing school because they can’t afford sanitary products. On average in Mzansi,
such a girl will miss 60 days of school because of her period. Over time this can cause girls to drop out completely. Add your name to the campaign
requesting free sanitary products now:
You can also do something practical by donating to
Dignity Dreams reusable sanitary pads: SMS DIGNITY to 40287 to donate R20,
or donate some of your Smart Shopper points when redeeming.
Overheard at the Checkout:
"I know I told you I love the sea shore, but you are not supposed to take it littorally!"