Restaurant Review ~
Civic Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Mon & Thu above Car Service City,
off Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Northern Sandton.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli on Top Centre
Almost all of us will one day need a blood transfusion
– Yet only 1% of people donate blood!
Make a difference to society! Donate at
Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Avenues, Craighall.
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
Get Your Business Running Better!
The skills shortage is a big problem! De-skill your business and preserve knowledge by putting your expertise into
computer software, giving step-by-step processes for staff to follow.
Software Africa can help!
e-mail or call 082
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton:
Grayston Shopping Centre
Atholl Square Shopping Centre
Sandhurst Centre, Rivonia Rd
Shopping in and around Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
You Can Speak in Public Without "Ums", "Ahs" and "You-Knows"!
Transformers Toastmasters meets 2nd and 4th
Monday of each month at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, at
18:45. Aspiring speakers are welcome! Contact Judith Taylor on 082 389 3481 or
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
We are open 7 days a week and offer “Fresh Haircuts” even in Winter,
when we warm you up with a cup of coffee! We also have other value-added services and specials. Please call 011 803 5015
for more information. We are down in the lower level in the main block down the escalators. Plenty of parking in the
Basement in Sunninghill Village.
For more, email Fay.
Thank You for Voting in the Municipal Elections!
DA leader Mmusi Maimane writes Friday 26 August, in his Bokamoso newsletter,
"A different party in a different country with a different future" (edited):
What a time to be alive! In the past three weeks, we have witnessed one of the
most radical and important changes our country has seen since 1994. On 3 August
2016, voters put South Africa on a new trajectory. We reaffirmed that we
work as a nation. Our democracy works, and South Africans are learning how to use it.
South Africa’s opposition parties have successfully navigated the turbulent
sea of coalition negotiations and emerged with practical, workable arrangements
to govern those municipalities where the majority of voters voted for change.
In coalition or alone, the DA now governs 32 councils in five provinces: Western
Cape (with Beaufort West, Cape Agulhas, Cederberg, Matzikama, Oudtshoorn and
Prince Albert being new), Eastern Cape (NMB and Kouga), Gauteng (Tshwane,
Johannesburg, Mogale City, and Midvaal), Limpopo (Thabazimbi and Modimolle/Mookgopong),
and Free State (Metsimaholo).
Most critical of all, we now govern four of SA’s eight metros. So we have the
potential to improve millions of lives – not just through clean government and
efficient service delivery, but by creating an attractive environment for
businesses to operate in SA’s major economic hubs.
I thank every voter who voted for change and put their trust in us.
Thank you for choosing hope over fear. Thank you for choosing the power of
principle and performance and workable policies.
The DA will work hard to show you that we deserve your trust and can deliver on
your hope. We know full well that we do not have a divine right to rule. We know
we must listen, and answer, to those who put us in power. We know we must
govern for every single person, not just for DA voters. We will strive to do our
best at all times, for all the citizens of this country. We will strive never to
take the voters for granted.
Read more here.
Furnished Garden Cottage/Apartment to Let in Morningside Manor, 1 Sept:
Large north-facing. Bedroom with en suite full bathroom. Split-level lounge/dining area. Kitchen, patio, garden and carport. Secure, carpeted, fully furnished and serviced
(including washing). Close to shops and bus routes. To Let from 1 September for one person or two. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail us, or
What is Happening at Hobart Grove in Bryanston?
Our alert Bryanston Correspondent, Jill Griffiths (the impetus behind our Hobart Grove page), writes:
"I contacted Sable who forwarded information to me re the centre. I subsequently went to Wombles Restaurant (old La
Campanola) and asked them to email you. Duncan and Yvette
own the restaurant. It is beautiful, Amatuli style colonial and
booked up every night. They were in Parktown North. Duncan tells me that his brother owned Red Rabbit, Nicolway
(which has closed), and their other restaurant in Parkmore, Thomas Maxwell, is still going. Thomas has
"I also went into Perron, Mexican restaurant & spoke to Thom, emailed him so
should have information back from him. Also very popular, booked up: They
have taken over the il Localino, next to Junipas.
"The size of the Hobart Spar will be increased. There will be more underground
parking. Trendy boutique hardware have also opened, part of the Spar Group. Thrupps have opened in the garage store with
a coffee shop.
"It is very much a building site so you could at least add the two new restaurants."
Thanks, Jill! Some of the changes are listed below.
According to radio news reports, "The number of
candidates for Public Protector has been widdled down to five"...
Get a FREE Loyalty Card that Gives you up to 5% Cash Back!
Up to 5% of your spend back when shopping at selected merchants, plus one to 15 Shopping Points
per R1000, to use on special offers. The card is honoured in 47 countries and powered by Lyoness, the global shopping community. To get one
click here and send the resulting email (or send an email to email@example.com with "Lyoness Cashback Card" in the Subject).
We will reply with your personalised invitation to apply on-line.
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- Car Service City Sandton: Moved from Sandton Court to 125, 11th Street, Parkmore (near Benmore Gardens Shopping Centre). Good to poor workshop servicing all makes of cars.
- Moto-Lube Rivonia has become Car Service City in Rivonia Area
– Convenient reputable workshop servicing all makes of cars. Cnr 7th Avenue and De la Rey Road, just off Rivonia Road next to Chicken Licken.
- Wash Zone @ The Core, Ground in The Core Sunninghill – Carwash. Was listed as closed, but had changed its name.
- Kung Fu Kitchen, Shop 27, Food Court in Woodmead Retail Park and Shop 06 in Sandton Court – Chinese food and sushi bar: variety of Chinese and Japanese food.
- iFix, Shop 06, South Wing in Woodmead Retail Park and Upper Level in Morningside Shopping Centre – One-stop Apple and Samsung device repair and servicing with immediate, walk-in and walk-out service.
- Vision Works Optometrists, Shop 03, South Wing in Woodmead Retail Park – Sunglasses, prescription eyewear, contact lenses.
- Supercharged Car Wash in Woodmead Retail Park – Car wash in the car park in front of Mugg and Bean on the northern side of the centre.
- Thomas Maxwell Bistro, Parkmore near Benmore Gardens Shopping Centre – 140 11th St, Parkmore, corner Elizabeth Ave. Popular bistro with contemporary Mediterranean gastro fare amid vintage memorabilia. Newly listed existing restaurant.
- Wombles Steakhouse Restaurant & Bar Lounge, Shop C02, C: Hobart Road in Hobart Grove Centre – Amatuli style colonial, booked up every night. Expensive but reputedly worth it!
- Thrupps Convenience Store, in Hobart Grove Centre – Convenience Store serving the Total Garage forecourt, with FNB ATM.
- Perron Mexican Restaurant, Shop D03, Main Square Northwest in Hobart Grove Centre – Popular Mexican Restaurant.
- Glitta Events and Flowers, Basement in Atholl Square – Florist outside Spar.
- Frespresso Café, Ground in Atholl Square – "Where coffee meets expression". Coffee, tea, muffins, croissants, Wi-Fi.
- Bijan Hair Studio, Shop 34, Ground in Atholl Square – Ethnic and Caucasian hair, ladies and gents.
- Sorbet Dry Bar, Ground in Atholl Square – In-and-out, quick-quick hair salon.
- Rain, Shop U41, Upper Level in Morningside Shopping Centre – Handmade bath & body products and hand crafted homeware using natural ingredients with African origins.
- Nutritional Solutions Dietetic practice with registered dietitians has moved from Atholl Square to Grayston Mews, 134 Grayston Drive, Sandton.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R190/month!!
5,965 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
Restaurant Reviews by Judith Back to top
***** Fego Caffé Gallo Manor, Morning Glen Shopping Centre
Here we have found the best quick lunch solution. Innocentia remembers
us! We are now very clear on what works. The Mezzano platter, which
we share. Calamari for me plus olives and, sometimes the Rocket. Most
everything else for my partner! Appletiser for him and wine for me. Fego is
child friendly, however Morning Glen is not, as it allows smoking in the
underground car park next to the play area in breach of the law.
Contact Details for Fego Caffé .
***** The Baron, Woodmead, Dunwoody Centre
I forget where we were coming from, but we were hungry and chose this pub to
have lunch. What a good choice - lots of sun outside and excellent
service! Chose the Brampton Rose as my wine - soft and beautifully dry. My
partner went for his usual Appletiser. I chose the Chicken Tikka -
wonderful and my partner indulged in liver and onions. All together, a
great experience. This place has a real buzz all of the time.
Contact Details for The Baron, Woodmead.
Funny Language, English...
Notice by a pond: "Frog parking only. All others will be toad."
Get Your Own Web Page for only R285/month!
A web page
on the longstanding and trusted Megaplex website will give your
business extra weight with Google! Quickly increase your web presence! Minimum commitment only 3 months. e-mail us, or
- Jimmy's Killer Grills, Shop 23 in Woodmead Retail Park – Steak, lamb, chicken, burgers, combos, drinks, desserts. Apparently killed themselves...
- Whitehouse, Shop 55 in Woodmead Retail Park – Décor and linen, Home. Had a white-out?
- The Su-Chi Palace, Shop 27 in Woodmead Retail Park – Sushi & Chinese food.
- Birthdays, Shop 03 in Woodmead Retail Park – Books, Cards & Stationery. Gifts.
- Sugar Shoe Classics, Shop 75 in Woodmead Retail Park – Hand-painted wooden furniture for kids.
- The Art Company, Shop 07 in Morning Glen Mall – Picture Framers and Art Gallery.
- La Campagnola, Shop C02 in Hobart Grove Centre – Restaurant known for its fine fare: fare thee well!.
- Il Localino Ristorante, Shop D03 in Hobart Grove Centre – "Your local Italian Restaurant".
- Misaki Japanese Cuisine, Shop 06B in Sandton Court – Restaurant opened May 2013, now closed.
- Kauai Juice, Shop 15a in The Wedge, Morningside – Vegetable- and Fruit Juice Bar, was Lower Level.
- Rage, Shop 15b in The Wedge, Morningside – Ladies' shoes, boots and clothing, was Lower Level.
- Mythos Mediterranean Cuisine in Atholl Square – Greek Restaurant. "Live Your Myth". Now part of mythology.
- SMS 2 Bet Betting Services in Atholl Square. All bets are off.
- Peter Thomas Interiors CC in Atholl Square.
- Oakley (Suite1B) in Atholl Square – Ladies' clothing and fashion.
- ZUI, Shop U16 in Morningside Shopping Centre – Ladies' clothing, was Upper Level.
- Pureberry in Morningside Shopping Centre – Lower Level Kiosk under the escalators. Frozen yoghurt, fresh juice, smoothies.
Wanted: Dynamic Software Tele-Salesperson!!
–the popular and easy Accounting Package– and the Autodesk range
of products – AutoCAD and the Suites, the world's most popular and
versatile engineering, architectural and artistic design software.
Basic salary, generous commission, and the prospect of growing with the company.
e-mail us your CV.
Civic News: Eskom’s two Nuclear License Applications Back to top
OUTA, now the "Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse", would like to draw
your attention to Eskom’s suspicious nuclear license applications for the sites
at Thuyspunt and Duynefontyn.. The commentary period has been extended by 30
days (from 29 August) as the result of the protest campaign. The
fact that a matter of national importance was suspiciously hidden in Provincial Gazettes and limited newspapers,
along with an initially-illegally-shortened period for comments, suggests a deliberate
avoidance of meaningful public participation –especially since this is of significant importance to the public.
Read more here.
It's Tiring to Retire
Julius says: When President
Mandela retired, it was the end of an era. When President Zuma retires, it will be the end of an error.
Soweto Eat-in: a Slow Meat and Soweto Gardens Experience this Saturday 3 Sept at Noon
Back to top
Slow Food Joburg invites you to the Slow Meat experience, teaming up with the
gardeners of Soweto to supply all the produce for the day: The nose-to-tail
meat is Nguni Beef. Nine Gauteng chef school teams of young trainee chefs will
be cooking under the mentorship of their school leaders and the tenth team will
be a group of Soweto cooks, planning to show the others who is boss! Teams will
be from the likes of HTA School of Culinary Arts, Prue Leith Chefs Academy and
two entries from Capsicum Culinary Schools.
You will receive five main and one offal
dish and will be asked to vote for the dish of the day.
There will be a craft market, the Seven Colours street
food market, music, dance and more than 20 Soweto farmers selling their produce.
This is a great opportunity to break out of our mould and
experience a day of vibrant Soweto life at the Soweto Theatre. Access to the
theatre is easy, taking the road past Baragwaneth and the UJ Soweto Campus and
safe patrolled parking is available. Otherwise why not take an Uber or ? But
miss out on this wonderful day.
Buy your tickets (R295pp) from Webticket here.
A part of proceeds goes to further development of the Soweto Farming
Overheard at the Checkout
"Why do you carry a
baseball bat in your car?"
friend told me that here in Joburg you like to beat the traffic lights!"