Restaurant Review ~
Civic Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Above Car Service City,
off Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Sandton.
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres and Shops in and near Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Shops
Rivonia Oriental City
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Speak Well – Become a Leader!
Transformers Toastmasters meets 2nd and 4th
Monday of each month at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, at 18:45. Future leaders are welcome! Contact Judith Taylor
on 082 389-3481 or
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops in Woodmead
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton and
Grayston Shopping Centre
The Colony, Craighall Park
Almost all of us will one day need a blood transfusion
– Yet only 1% of people donate blood!
Make a difference to society! Your nearest donor centre is at
The Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Aves, Craighall.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli on Top Centre
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
We are open 7 days a week and offer “Fresh Haircuts”! We also have other value-added services and specials. Please call 011 803 5015
for more information. We are down in the lower level in the main block down the escalators. Plenty of parking in the
Basement in Sunninghill Village.
For more, email Fay.
Changes in Bryanston
Following up from last month we visited Hobart Grove Shopping Centre.
The new wing on the Main Square is complete (shops numbered starting with "G")
with its First Floor (offices numbered starting with "H"). This wing
houses businesses that were in the smaller wing it replaces, like Twisted
Whiskers and Leon Magiel Interiors, some that have moved from elsewhere in the
centre (Chasing Fireflies toy shop), and some from the now-demolished Medical Suites
(block B) like Kind 2 Hearing, Monsoon Irrigation, and The Bakers Warehouse.
The latter is located under the Thrupps convenience store that fronts onto the
Total garage, yet paradoxically is numbered in the "G" series. There are a
few new shops: large TrenDIY hardware and home décor centre (part of the Broadacres
Spar group), and Hair Colonel, opening tomorrow, 1 October (opening party with
coffee, snacks and cool drinks 11:00-17:00).
The upper floors contains largely
the medical suites from the demolished Block B, along with Zen Hot Yoga World,
an apparent rebranding of Hot Yoga Studio from The Wedge, Morningside.
The new ramp down to the basement parking is open and runs from just under
where Block B was. The old ramp down to the basement parking next to
Bryanston Flowers has been closed to allow for an extension of the Spar, which occupies the
space behind the smaller shops. To make way for that development, Bryanston Flowers itself has moved opposite into block D underneath
Fruits & Roots, where Chasing Fireflies was. One is tempted to draw a map
filled with arrows showing what has moved where, if it wasn't so much work...
Construction continues on the left of Simply Asia Restaurant, replacing Block B
with what will be a double-storey Rocket
Restaurant (where Elon Musk eats).
Meanwhile, nearby Grosvenor Crossing
has haemorrhaged the Video Spot, eurobride, The Laundry Room, Lexi's Kouzina
(Greek deli and catering), Radiant Functions and, most sadly, the "Wriggle It"
indoor play centre for kids, similar to "Yeesh!" in Woodmead. On the
upside, Metro Restaurant seems to be doing well in its new location.
Turning to the east of Bryanston, the new shop-and-office block at 300
Bryanston Drive, corner (and entrance in) St James Crescent, has its first
tenants. The most notable is Jacksons Real Food Market,
moved from Riverside Shopping Centre opposite and reopened on 21 September. Jacksons has greatly expanded its market area and its sit-down meal
section. Their prices are not for everyone, but judging by the number of
customers, probably acceptable to Bryanston, e.g. R2 for a tomato, R45 for a
loaf of pumpkin bread, and R109 for a plump free range chicken.
In Riverside Shopping Centre itself,
the upper level is now almost fully tenanted, mostly with body-and-beauty studios of
various types, or should one refer to them as narcissism support enterprises? Giovanni
Battista Hair Care, The Make-Up Studio, and Sorbet Salon have been joined by The
Cosmetic and Dental Emporium (teeth whitening), Bhan Thai massage, New
Beginnings Pilates, Body 20 (muscle toning), and Maddy Magoo children's
Furnished Garden Cottage/Apartment to Let Now in
Large north-facing. Bedroom with en suite full bathroom. Split-level lounge/dining area. Kitchen, patio, garden and carport. Secure, carpeted, fully furnished and serviced
(including washing). Close to shops and bus routes. To Let from 1 September for one person or two. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail us, or
Who would have thought that being a lecturer would
now be a high-risk occupation? That used to just apply to lechers...
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- Jacksons Real Food Market Moved from Riverside Shopping Centre 21 Sept to 300 Bryanston Drive near Riverside Shopping Centre – Entrance in St James Crescent. Grass fed, free range, hormone-free and pasture-reared meats. Local small real food producers and farmers. Artisan bakery, pastries and coffee shop. Open M-F 09:00-18:00, Sat 08:00-15:00, Sun 09:00-15:00.
- Options Optometrists has rebranded as Sandton Optometrists with the same team, Shop 06, Ground in Atholl Square – Eye examinations, spectacles, contact lenses, designer sunglasses. Michelle Dateling, B Optom (UJ), FOA (South Africa), Dip Sports Vision (UJ), MBA (Wits).
- Kelly’s Nails & Beauty has become 4give Nail and Beauty Clinic
(run by Forgiveness Mhlontlo), Shop 42, Upper Level in Morning Glen Mall – Nail Bar, manicures, pedicures, nail art, eye lashes, waxing,
facials, laser treatments, massage.
- Moto-Lube Rivonia has become Car Service City Rivonia, Rivonia 7th Avenue in Rivonia Area Shops – Convenient reputable workshop servicing all makes of cars. Major service from R595: Finance available. Open on Saturdays. RMI Member. Cnr 7th Avenue and De la Rey Road, just off Rivonia Road next to Chicken Licken.
- TrenDIY, Shop G06, F: Main Square in Hobart Grove Centre – DIY and home décor centre: Garden, pots and plants, braai & patio, paint, hardware, electrical, plumbing, power tools, glass, timber. Coffee shop.
- Hair Colonel, Shop G08, F: Main Square in Hobart Grove Centre – Opening 1 October 2016, 11:00. Hairdressers, barber and unisex hair stylist. Open Mon-Thu 08:00-19:00, Fri 09:00-12:00 and 13:40-19:00, Sat & Sun 08:00-18:00.
- Kind 2 Hearing, Shop G09, F: Main Square in Hobart Grove Centre – Hearing screenings and tests, hearing aids & devices, accessories, batteries. Open Mon-Fri 09:00-17:00, Sat 09:00-12:00.
- Roco Mamas, The Colony, Lower Level in The Colony, Craighall – Burger Restaurant. Cheeseburger, cheese+bacon burger, mushroom, shoe string fries, design your own, wings, salads, dips. Open Sun-Wed 09:00-22:00, Thu & Sat 09:00-23:00, Fri 09:00-24:00.
- Afrikano Tile & Décor (16 Waterval Crescent), in Woodmead Area Shops – Opened June 2016. Weird and ugly imported taps, tiles, sanitaryware,
furniture and kitchens.
- Diamond Lifestyle Woodmead (16 Waterval Crescent), in Woodmead Area Shops – Appliances and electronics - discounts on all major brands: Samsung, smeg, Siemens, Bosch, Whirlpool, etc.
- Wimpy in Woodmead Area Shops – Inside the entrance to Makro. Fast Food Restaurant: Breakfast, Coffee, Milkshakes, Burgers, Sandwiches, Ice Cream, Waffles, Salads, Grills and Desserts.
- Capitec Bank and ATM, Shop 09A, Ground in Rivonia Village – The bank with the lowest fees. Open M-F 08:00-17:00, Sat 08:00-13:00.
- Global Photographic, Shop 20, Ground in Rivonia Village – Photographic shop, photo processing, digital copy and print, blockmounting, digital cameras, memory cards, large array of telescopes.
- Seattle Coffee Company, Shop 12 in Grosvenor Crossing – Coffee, tea, and beverages of all kinds.
- Earthaddict / Earthchild, Shop U05A, Upper Level in Nicolway Bryanston – Ladies' boutique and children's clothes: Eco-friendly leisurewear.
- Crossfit Aurum near Hobart Grove Centre – In Hobart Grove underground parking. Strength and Conditioning: Crossfit group training, Olympic lifting, personal training, sport specific conditioning, children's/adolescent classes, FitBox (boxing fitness), aerial yoga.
- Zen Hot Yoga World, Shop H01, Upper Level in Hobart Grove Centre – Opened 29 June 2016. Yoga and Meditation. Hot yoga is a series of 26 Bikram Yoga postures. Flow yoga links postures together using the breath.
- Gienius Smart Store (Kiosk), Lower Level in Nicolway Bryanston – Outside Dischem. Repairs to iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Nokia, Blackberry and Sony phones, tablets. Accessories. Gaming consoles. Hi-tech gadgets.
- ABSA Bank, Lower Level in Nicolway Bryanston – Banking, Forex. ATM opposite.
- Mezepoli, Shop U24, Upper Level in Nicolway Bryanston – New restaurant, meze and wine bar, opening soon in place of Red Rabbit.
- Tactical .22 (C7 Lower level), Building C in Woodmead Commercial Park – Indoor shooting range. Guns, ammunition, exotic gun hire. Open Mon-Fri10:00-17:00, Saturday 09:00-14:00.
- Tyres and More, Rivonia 7th Avenue in Rivonia Area Shops – Auto Fitment Centre: Tyres, car batteries, shock absorbers, wheel alignment, brakes. Also car wash.
- The Cosmetic and Dental Emporium, Shop 18, First Floor in Riverside Shopping Centre – Cosmetic Dentists. Teeth whitening.
- Bhan Thai, Shop 18A, First Floor in Riverside Shopping Centre – Relaxing massage in a tranquil environment. Regular special offers. Open 08:00-20:00 every day.
- New Beginnings Pilates, Shop 24, First Floor in Riverside Shopping Centre – Pilates and fitness studio. The physical and mental benefits are endless: everyone should try it. First session free! Open Mon-Sat.
- Maddy Magoo Bryanston, Shop 21, First Floor in Riverside Shopping Centre – Kids hair cuts. First cut. Braids and cornrows. Glamour parties. Products. Event styling.
- Body 20 Riverside, Shop 22, First Floor in Riverside Shopping Centre – Muscle toning, fat loss, cellulite reduction, Brazilian butt lift. Muscle stimulation via electrodes, 20 minutes/week equals 6 hours gym. Open M-F 05:00-20:30, Sat 05:00-14:00.
- Body 20 Sandton, First Floor in Atholl Square – Muscle toning, fat loss, cellulite reduction, Brazilian butt lift. Muscle stimulation via electrodes, 20 minutes/week equals 6 hours gym. Open M-F 05:00-20:30, Sat 05:00-14:00.
- Airvantage (Suite 3), First Floor in Atholl Square – Airtime Credit Services allow Telecoms Operators to now advance airtime to subscribers on credit.
- Mainspring (Suite 3), First Floor in Atholl Square – innovative marketing of mobile content and applications. They source and develop unique content specifically for emerging markets.
- Tigers Milk (300 Bryanston Drive, corner St James Crescent) opposite Riverside Shopping Centre – Opening soon, whatever it will be...
Get a FREE Loyalty Card that Gives you up to 5% Cash Back!
Up to 5% of your spend back when shopping at selected merchants, plus one to 15 Shopping Points
per R1000, to use on special offers. The card is honoured in 47 countries and powered by Lyoness, the global shopping community. To get one,
click here and send the resulting email (or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Lyoness Cashback Card" in the Subject).
We will reply with your personalised invitation to apply on-line.
Restaurant Review by Judith Back to top
***** Piza e Vino, The Wedge
This restaurant is really becoming Banting friendly My marinato Zucchini
Linguine was fantastic. My partner's pizza made him happy - he doesn't need to
diet - 54kgs for years! The wine and locally produced beers are worth going
there for as well. Everyone is invested in excellent service.
Contact Details for Piza e Vino Restaurant.
Funny Language, English...
If, before 3 August, we were preoccupied with the municipal elections, can we
now be postoccupied with them?
The Favourite Accounting Program of Non-Accountants
QuickBooks uses everyday terms like
"invoice a customer", "enter bills", "receive payments". None of
that technical "Debtors" and "Creditors" stuff! Easy to install,
easy to use. Bank accounts, bills, invoices, customer and supplier lists, useful graphs, VAT, all in one place.
Premier 2016 version R4799, Pro only R3599. Up to 25% discount on upgrades from Software Africa: e-mail or call 011 802 2685.
- Debonairs Pizza in The Colony, Craighall – Restaurant: Pizza, stacks, subs, Juices, Soft drinks, Potato wedges. Replaced by Roco Mamas
- Kids Therapy, Shop B05 in Hobart Grove Centre – Paediatric Physiotherapist, Neurological.
- Indie Yoga Bryanston (was Haum of Yoga), Shop C01 in Hobart Grove Centre – A place of yogic learning and community.
- Bryanston Chiropractic, Shop B07b in Hobart Grove Centre – Treatment of lower back pain, headaches, neck pain, whiplash, sports injuries, pregnancy associated pains, paediatric birth trauma & colic, arthritis and joint pain.
- For Men by Twain, Shop F11 in Hobart Grove Centre – Men's clothing. The ladies' clothing shop remains.
- Video Spot, Shop 03 in Grosvenor Crossing – DVD hire.
- PostNet, Shop 07 in Grosvenor Crossing – International & local courier, copies, photos and stationery.
- The Laundry Room, Shop 09 in Grosvenor Crossing – Wash, dry and iron. Cleaning of blankets, bed covers, carpets, couch covers, curtains.
- eurobride in Grosvenor Crossing – Elegant designs and years of experience in bridal fashion.
- Lexi's Kouzina, Shop 05 in Grosvenor Crossing – Greek deli and catering. Fresh and frozen meals to suit every palate.
- Radiant Functions, Shop 12 in Grosvenor Crossing – Organise functions and events. Hire, rental and supply of all items for an event.
- Wriggle It, Shop 15 in Grosvenor Crossing – Indoor play centre for kids. Play structure, arts and crafts, toddler play area, games and books, party venue and coffee shop.
- Bokhara Tapete, Shop 66 in Morning Glen Mall – Persian carpets and rugs. Was first Floor opposite Nedbank.
Julius says that, "speared on" by recent events, he is taking more of an interest in edumacation.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R190/month!
6,013 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
Benmore Gardens Shopping Centre is hosting Artisan
Looking for an alternative lunch experience this spring? Or something
to do when not burning down the University? The Good &
Proper Food Truck Eatery will be bringing Jozi's best artisan food trucks
together to create an unusual lunchtime experience with sunshine, music and good
vibes in Joburg's vibrant commercial hub.
Reminiscent of the food truck park concept that has become ubiquitous in the
USA, Good & Proper will each week feature a variety of Jozi's best artisan food
trucks. With everything from gourmet burgers and pizzas to Belgian waffles and
frites, artisan sandwiches, fresh salads, craft coffee and beverages, there will
be something for everyone.
The Good and Proper Food Trucks Eatery launched on 1 September and will run
at Benmore Gardens until 25 November 2016, every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
between 11:30 and 15:00. On Thursday evenings 16:00-21:00 they have Games
Night with craft beers and cheeky cocktails. Come and be part of this
social experience. More at the centre's
At the Checkout:
Interruptus" – when you prematurely pull your credit card out of the point of sale terminal and it aborts the transaction.