Restaurant Review ~
Civic Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Mon & Thu above Car Service City,
off Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Northern Sandton.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli on Top Centre
Almost all of us will one day need a blood transfusion
– Yet only 1% of people donate blood!
Make a difference to society! Donate at
Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Avenues, Craighall.
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton:
Grayston Shopping Centre
Atholl Square Shopping Centre
Sandhurst Centre, Rivonia Rd
Shopping in and around Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
With a Twist...
hosts its annual impromptu speaking contest, "Survivor" at Morningside Country Club, 1 de la Rey Road, at
18:45 on Thursday 24 November. Contestants and audience are welcome:
Only R80! Contact Judith Taylor on 082 389 3481 or
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
We are open 7 days a week and offer “Fresh Haircuts”! We also have other value-added services and specials. Please call 011 803 5015
for more information. We are down in the lower level in the main block down the escalators. Plenty of parking in the
Basement in Sunninghill Village.
For more, email Fay.
Focus on the Manor Medical Centre
After a long absence we have revisited
Manor Medical Centre,
to find many changes. Manor Medical Centre contains the one-stop medical rooms serving Morningside, Morningside Manor and Gallo Manor, directly opposite
Morning Glen Mall, on Kelvin Drive (slip road) between Bowling and Stuart Avenues. Apart
from the General Practitioners, now open 7 days a week (after hours charges apply), there is a
Pharmacy to get your prescriptions from Mervin the friendly Pharmacist, a coffee shop, and a wide range of medical professionals including a Travel Clinic for your inoculations. The major service missing at the moment is a Radiologists, for which you now
have to go to Sunninghill Hospital or
In the New Shops section below we list the additions, but you can also find
Biokineticists, Clinical Dieticians, a Dentist, a Diabetic Clinic, the Manor Baby Clinic with Sister Rose Dale,
an Optometrist, Physiotherapists, a Podiatrist, a Psychiatrist, two Psychologists, and a depot of Lancet Laboratories, the Pathologists with the incredibly incompetent accounts department.
Furnished Garden Cottage/Apartment to Let Now in
Large north-facing. Bedroom with en suite full bathroom. Split-level lounge/dining area. Kitchen, patio, garden and carport. Secure, carpeted, fully furnished and serviced
(including washing). Close to shops and bus routes. To Let Now for one person or two. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail us, or
According to Johannesburg municipal regulations (Chapter 3) Fireworks are allowed
from 23:00 to 01:00 on New Years Eve and
from 19:00 to 22:00 on New Years Day, Hindu New Year, Lag b’omer, Chinese New Year, Human Rights Day, Freedom Day, Guy Fawkes Day, Divali, Christmas Eve and
the Day of Goodwill. These regressive regulations allow inconsiderate residents, like our Hindu neighbour, to terrorise animals and other residents
with huge bangs at Diwali, which is coming up on Sunday, 30 October.
lobbying to have fireworks banned again, there is something you may be able to
do. The municipal regulations also say: 30. (1) Unless so authorised in terms of section 33, no person may use fireworks –
(a) within 500 metres of any ... petrol depot or petrol station. With Google Maps,
right-clicking and using the "Measure distance" feature, you can check if
offenders' property is within 500 m your local petrol station. It remains to be
seen whether the neighbour will respond to a notice to this effect, or with
typical arrogance go ahead in the hope that the municipality will not bother to
prosecute, or laugh off the tiny R500 fine.
What did Austrian psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud say came between fear and
Get a FREE Loyalty Card that Gives you up to 5% Cash Back!
Up to 5% of your spend back when shopping at selected merchants, plus one to 15 Shopping Points
per R1000, to use on special offers. The card is honoured in 47 countries and powered by Lyoness, the global shopping community. To get one
click here and send the resulting email (or send an email to email@example.com with "Lyoness Cashback Card" in the Subject).
We will reply with your personalised invitation to apply on-line.
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- Panettone Café Bryanston, Ground in Petervale Shopping Centre – Restaurant and take-away. Light meals, pasta, pizza, main courses, slow-roasted lamb, burgers, seafood, desserts. Open 7 days a week for lunch, dinner and private functions.
- à La Juliette, Ground in Rivonia Village – Gifts, jewellery, bags, women's accessories and fashion wear. Cards. Open mall hours. Moved from opposite Red Square.
- H2O Water, Ground in Rivonia Junction – Supplier of water, water purifiers and coolers.
- Gienius Smart Store, Shop G6, Ground in Rivonia Junction – Repairs to iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Nokia, Blackberry and Sony phones, tablets. Accessories. Gaming consoles. Hi-tech gadgets.
- Afro Kids Salon, Shop FF07, 1st Floor in Rivonia Village – Children's Hairdresser. Launched on 10 September 2016.
- Grand Barberhood, Shop FF08, 1st Floor in Rivonia Village – Men's haircut, buzz cut, clean face shave with hot towel, beard trim, pensioners Mon-Thu, boys haircut, ears or nose wax.
- Global Photographic Training, Shop FF16, 1st Floor in Rivonia Village – Photographic courses: Basic, Intermediate, Advanced. Adobe Photoshop, Flash, studio lighting, Specialised courses.
- Silk Stitches, Rivonia Boulevard 329 in Rivonia Area Shops – Bridal Boutique. A consultation fee will be charged.
- Magic Spa, 2nd Floor in Rivonia Boulevard 329 in Rivonia Area Shops – Facial Treatments, Body Massages, Pedicures, Manicures, Nails and Nail Art, Waxing, Eyelash Extension, Permanent Makeup.
- Aesthetic Clinic in Manor Medical Centre – Botox and fillers.
- Audiologist in Manor Medical Centre – Diagnostic and screening hearing tests (all ages). International brands of hearing aids and accessories. Swimplugs, sleepplugs, media earpieces, protective earpieces for musicians, dentists and shooting.
- Beauty Indulgence in Manor Medical Centre – Body treatments, facials, threading, waxing, pregnancy and slimming treatments, massage.
- Chiropractor in Manor Medical Centre – Treating back, neck and joint pain, Sports Injuries, Headaches, Paediatric colic, Arthritis, osteoporosis, postural and lower back weakness. Exercise and Ergonomic advice.
- Laser Clinic in Manor Medical Centre – State of the art Hair Removal Clinic, offering a permanent hair removal solution to both men and women – equipped with the latest Lightsheer technology.
- Occupational Therapist in Manor Medical Centre – Assess and treat babies, pre- and primary school children and adolescents. Children with physical barriers such as Cerebral Palsy, Hydrocephalous, genetic abnormalities, Cortical Impairment and Down Syndrome. Hands Therapy Unit.
- Psychologist in Manor Medical Centre.
- Speech Therapist in Manor Medical Centre – Works with toddlers, preschool and school aged learners, focusing on the assessment and treatment of speech, language, auditory perceptual and literacy difficulties.
- Skin ID in Manor Medical Centre – Chemical skin peels to correct skin damage, signs of ageing, hyperpigmentation and acne.
- Travel Clinic - Rivonia in Manor Medical Centre – Travel Health advisory services, Pre-Travel assessments, Vaccinations & Inoculations, Yellow Fever Certificates, Advice re Malaria, Malaria prophylaxis.
- Melissa's Mantra, Shop 22, Ground in Rivonia Village – Food, home, gifting. Opening mid November.
- Debonairs Pizza, Ground in Rivonia Village – Coming soon: Restaurant: Pizza, stacks, subs, Juices, Soft drinks.
- Asanka Afrika Cuisine, Upper Level in Rivonia Junction – Restaurant, coming sometime.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R190/month!!
5,914 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
Restaurant Reviews by Judith Back to top
*** Plantation Cafe: International Business Gateway, off New Road, Midrand
Going there for a SA Secular Society meeting and talk on "Religion in Schools - OGOD's Legal Battle"
by Hans Pietersen from Cape Town, we found a restaurant with very
limited parking indeed. However the inside was cosy. We ordered an Appletiser,
and a Hill and Dale Chardonnay. I slipped up by ordering a bunless,
chipless Chicken burger . Two pieces of fairly dry chicken duly arrived in
a sparse lemon sauce.
My partner's crumbed chicken and spinach proved far better. It provoked great
suspense by constantly threatening to slide into his lap off the uneven table!
My Chardonnay was excellent, enhanced by great company.
The service was professional and I would recommend it.
Despite the cramped speaking area and the crumpled screen, the talk itself
was excellent, as were Hans's vivid slides. The subject of religion being
unconstitutionally forced on public school pupils has many ramifications. Hans provided much info
and was generous in his responses at question-time. It was helpful to be brought up to date with this ongoing battle which he and his supporters and sponsors are fighting on behalf of all of us, and to have a considered assessment of the likely outcomes. Many thanks to Hans,
SASS, and all who gave of their precious personal time in putting this event together.
Contact Details for Plantation Cafe.
Funny Language, English...
People are extolling the new Naledi-Protea North pedestrian bridge. Now if only we could also "ex-toll" the Gauteng freeways...
Support the New OUTA - the Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse!
OUTA’s E-toll Defence Umbrella will support businesses and individuals against prosecution for resistance
against e-tolls. It aims to defend every case of e-toll prosecution within OUTA’s contributing membership. You contribute, at your discretion, an amount you can
afford. Click here to become a member.
- Rosy Posy in Rivonia Village – Florist: Flowers & Gifts.
- Calice in Petervale Shopping Centre – Wine bar, restaurant and take-away.
- Coricraft Morning View Showroom – Household furniture and art.
- Dry Clean City in Rivonia Junction – Dry cleaning and clothing alterations.
- Health and Fitness Shop in Rivonia Village – Vitamins & supplements, health foods, gym clothes, fitness equipment, natural/organic beauty & homecare products, wellness consultants.
- Royal Haberdashery upstairs in Rivonia Village – "A dressmaker's paradise". Stockists of bridal fabric and accessories, sewing accessories, wool, fabric, curtaining and accessories, suiting material.
- Left Manor Medical Centre:, Dr. Y. Edinburg has left the General Practitioners. Also: Self Esteem Facilitator, Paediatric Physiotherapist, Hypnotherapist, Homeopath, Remedial Therapy, Laserlabs, Radiologists, Chiropractor, Occupational Therapist – Cara L Musnick B.Sc, and the Speech Therapist & Audiologist specializing in articulation and phonological disorders.
Get Your Own Web Page for only R285/month!
A web page
on the longstanding and trusted Megaplex website will give your
business extra weight with Google! Quickly increase your web presence! Minimum commitment only 3 months. e-mail us, or
Civic News: Stop South Africa's shame Back to top
The SA Government wants to pull out of the International Criminal Court -- sending a message
that we are happy for those that commit genocide to get away with mass murder!
It's a shame on our country, and a slap in the face of victims of violence
across this continent who look to South Africa to stand up to injustice. But we have a chance to stop it. The ANC is splitting. If we build the
biggest petition against impunity this country has ever seen, we can label this
a Zuma move, and get politicians to stand against it. Join and share the
Click to speak out for justice on the Avaaz petition.
Do we want to be a country that promotes injustice? Do we want to catalyse an
Africa-wide withdrawal from this court and make our continent more unsafe for
all of us? This is a tipping point moment for South Africa. Let's do all we can
now to mark our names on the right side of history: the side of justice, human
rights, and protection for the world's most vulnerable people.
SAB2S, the SA Bureau of Double Standards
Collen says that Cyril's
double standards are not up to the Youth League's double standards.
With the recent Local Government Elections (remember them?) various City of
Johannesburg Councillors have retired, moved on, or been voted out of office.
A new crop has taken their place. Locate your new Public Representative in
this COJ download or search for your
Overheard at the Checkout
"I'm a vegan. Do
you know what that is?"
course. I'm a great fan of Star Trek."