Restaurant Review ~
Fitness Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Above Car Service City,
off Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Sandton.
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres and Shops in and near Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Shops
Rivonia Oriental City
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Speak Well – Become a Leader!
Transformers Toastmasters meets 2nd and 4th
Monday of each month at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, at 18:45. Future leaders are welcome! Contact Judith Taylor
on 082 389-3481 or
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops in Woodmead
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton and
Grayston Shopping Centre
The Colony, Craighall Park
Almost all of us will one day need a blood transfusion
– Yet only 1% of people donate blood!
Make a difference to society! Your nearest donor centre is at
The Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Aves, Craighall.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli on Top Centre
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
We are open 7 days a week and offer “Fresh Haircuts”! We also have other value-added services and specials. Please call 011 803 5015
for more information. We are down in the lower level in the main block down the escalators. Plenty of parking in the
Basement in Sunninghill Village.
For more, email Fay.
Did You Know?
Happy 2017! Despite all omens, we hope it will be a good and prosperous
one! Here are some tips that might help.
Extend your free parking at Morning Glen Mall:
The Mall doesn't advertise it and it seems so secret that even the other
shopkeepers are unaware of it! Free parking is extended from the normal
hour (charges of R7 apply for 1-3 hours) by another 30 minutes if you take a Pick 'n Pay till slip to the Parking
Office: turn right out of PnP, pass Country Collage,
then down the passage on the right. This tip could be
useful to the dozens, possibly even hundreds, of people who shop at Morning
Glen every year.
The extra half hour free could give you time for a coffee at Cafeum Diem
(formerly Fego). You might "Like" the
Cafeum Diem Facebook page and
print out some of their special coupons to redeem when you visit, e.g.: Combo
offer #2: Any 2 selected breakfasts with 2 drinks for R90 (an egg-ceptional
deal); combo offer #3: Any 2 wraps/tramezzinis for R85; offer #5: 2 café
meals for R95. Two steaks for R95? That's rare!
The Lyoness loyalty card (advertised below) gives you up to 5% of your spend
back when shopping at selected merchants, plus up to 15 "Shopping Points" per
R1000 to use on special offers. "Selected merchants" include Spur
restaurants, Checkers, Shoprite, Shoprite Liquor, Outdoor Warehouse,
Dion Wired and Game, Dis-Chem, Babies "R" Us, The Golfers Club, Hirsch's, Western Shoppe,
Vodacom prepaid, Cell C prepaid, and Microsoft's on-line store.
Pick 'n Pay has a loyalty card, called Smart Shopper, that is free and gives
you 1% of your total shop back. A bonus they don't advertise much is that,
once their system gets used to your shopping habits, they start offering you
discounts off things you buy anyway. Swipe your card through the machine at the
store entrance to see what personalised vouchers they have for you: R7.30 off 2ℓ Ola Ice Cream or R7.40 off
2kg No Name frozen chicken braaicuts or R1.70 off a 1ℓ Douglasdale milk sachet may come in handy!
Do you Need Student Accommodation for 2017?
Large north-facing bedroom with shared bathroom. Shared lounge, dining room, kitchen, patio, garden and
parking. Secure, carpeted, fully furnished and serviced (including washing). Close to shops and bus routes. To Let
NOW for one person. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail us, or
"Psychic": Someone who will tell your fortune, for
a part thereof.
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- Tigers Milk opposite Riverside Shopping Centre – Restaurant and bar: lunch and dinner. Entrance in St James Crescent. "Service ambassadors" instead of "waiters" might explain the high prices.
- Cycloworx has moved from Petervale Shopping Centre to Shop 04, Ground in Cambridge Crossing – "The bicycle workshop": Servicing bicycles, making friends.
- ZAKspeed Electronic World, Moved from Shop AE to Shop C1, Building C in Woodmead Commercial Park – Audiovisual and multimedia wholesale and retail: Car sound systems, public address, disco, home theatre, computers.
- Car Mirror Centre in Morningside Area Shops – Independent suppliers of exterior side mirror replacement glass (car door mirrors). Replacement car mirrors exactly fitting the make and model of your car.
- iFix, Shop U29, Upper Level in Morningside Shopping Centre – One-stop Apple and Samsung device repair and servicing with immediate, walk-in and walk-out service.
- Rain, Shop U41, Upper Level in Morningside Shopping Centre – Handmade bath & body products and hand crafted homeware using natural ingredients with African origins. Responsibly handmade with care for customers, craftspeople and the environment.
- Twisp (L21 kiosk), Lower Level in Morningside Shopping Centre – Kiosk under the escalators. Electronic cigarettes.
- Barre Body, Shop FF09, 1st Floor in Rivonia Village – Innovative challenging Barre classes and superfood nutrition. Fusion of Pilates, ballet barre work, light weights and cardio.
- Car Wash in Woodmead SuperValue Centre.
- Renew-it Rivonia, Ground in Rivonia Crossing 1 – Auto body repair centre. Insurance quotes. Panel beating and repair a wide range of vehicle brands.
- Bespoke Concepts (Suite 14), 1st Floor in The Square Sunninghill – Branding, private labelled loyalty solutions, hosted call centre, ICT development, sales and product training, value added services.
- Liz's Kitchen near Dunwoody Centre – Fast food doesn't always mean unhealthy! In Harrowdene Office Park.
- Ellies, Shop B4, Building B in Woodmead Commercial Park – Home power solutions: LED lighting, power inverters, DIY solar kits, surge protection. Antennas, TV & video accessories, satellite, industrial audio, broadband.
- Mikectrolight Appliance Services (B8 Lower level), Building B in Woodmead Commercial Park– Repair and sales of fridges, stoves, microwaves, washing machines, TVs and cell phones. Parts & Accessories, technician visits.
- CycleOps, Rivonia Road 777 in Rivonia Area Shops – Virtual Indoor Power (VIP) Training: Phantom 3 bikes, interactive Virtual Training app and HD video content create a virtual reality cycling environment.
- Weight Loss Centre, Rivonia Road 777 in Rivonia Area Shops – Discard habits that sabotage your weight and health, Shed centimetres/kilograms at a steady pace, Keep the lost kilograms off, Lead a healthier lifestyle.
- Mitsubishi Rivonia, Building B in Rivonia Crossing 2 – Mekor Dealership. New, pre-owned, and demo vehicles.
- Woodmead Hyundai Automotive (14 Waterval Cres), Ground in Woodmead Area Shops – Vehicle sales, commercial, pre-owned, service centre, genuine parts.
Furnished Garden Cottage/Apartment to Let Now in
Large north-facing. Bedroom with en suite full bathroom. Split-level lounge/dining area. Kitchen, patio, garden and carport. Secure, carpeted, fully furnished and serviced
(including washing). Close to shops and bus routes. To Let for one person or two. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail us, or
Restaurant Review by Judith Back to top
***** Pizza del Forno, Chilli on Top, Sunninghill: 6th January 2017
This is fairly recently opened restaurant in this centre and has a very
reasonably priced menu. There is an outside smoking area for people who don't
like tasting their food. They do a very good House Dry White wine, the other
drink was Appletiser. Sandile was our waiter and attentive, brining
plenty of ice for both drinks. I chose the Mussels in Creamy Garlic Sauce but
asked that the Mozzarella be omitted and my partner chose the Pollo Fantastico.
The Mussels arrived with Foccacia which came in handy for my partner later! They
were excellent, though I did remark that I would have liked more garlic. I was
told that they tried not to overdo it as some people are not such aficionados of
My partner's Pollo Fantastico, which consisted of chicken breasts, bacon,
avocado, roast veggies and a decoration of a tomato sitting on a cucumber, was
declared fantastico indeed. I stole some avocado, which was delicious.
Altogether a great experience with excellent service and worth another visit!
Contact Details for Pizza Del Forno.
Funny Language, English...
Moths are very economical to keep as pets: They only eat holes.
Get a FREE Loyalty Card that Gives you up to 5% Cash Back!
Up to 5% of your spend back when shopping at selected merchants, plus one to 15 Shopping Points
per R1000, to use on special offers. The card is honoured in 47 countries and powered by Lyoness, the global shopping community. To get one,
click here and send the resulting email (or send an email to email@example.com with "Lyoness Cashback Card" in the Subject).
We will reply with your personalised invitation to apply on-line.
Checked Out of Hotel California
Back to top
- The Image Firm left Rivonia Village – Improve your look in just 7 easy steps and get a personalised style guide. Was 1st Floor, moved to Northview Block C2 57 6th, Hyde Park.
- Zeus Aluminium, was Shop C1 in Woodmead Commercial Park – Aluminium windows, window frames, patio sliding doors, shop fronts & louvres: domestic, retail and commercial. Moved to 8 Carey Street, Wynberg.
- VCam Security (was C8, Lower level) in n Woodmead Commercial Park – State of the art security cameras for any location, ranging from indoor CCTV to high security monitoring. Moved to Kempton Park, Tel 011 963 3563.
- First Car Rental in Sandton Court – for Budget car hire you will now have to fall back on Second Car Rental.
- Rivonia Travel (1st Floor Suite 3) in Rivonia Village – Flights, travel packages, accommodation, car hire, Forex, travel insurance, visas and passports. Travelled themselves.
- Design Hardware, Shop B4 in Woodmead Commercial Park – Architectural ironmongery – door handles, cupboard handles, locks, hinges and related accessories like door closers. Closed their own doors.
- Lumber City Woodmead, C8, Lower level in Woodmead Commercial Park – Timber and board, Masonite, chipboard, door and drawer handles, etc. Doors closed too.
- Party Pinata (B9, Lower level) in Woodmead Commercial Park – Party decorations, wrapping paper. All wrapped up.
The Favourite Accounting Program of Non-Accountants
QuickBooks uses everyday terms like "invoice a customer", "enter bills", "receive payments". None of
that technical "Debtors" and "Creditors" stuff! Easy to install, easy to use. Bank accounts, bills, invoices, customer and supplier lists, useful graphs, VAT, all in one place.
Premier 2016 version R4799, Pro only R3599. Up to 25% discount on upgrades from Software Africa: e-mail or call 011 802 2685.
Learn Self-Defence and Get Fit for 2017
Krav Maga (pronounced "Kraav M'gaa") is a self-defence system developed in
Israel, that focuses on practical techniques drawn from a wide variety of
martial arts. Used by Israeli Defence Forces and various law enforcement
and military organizations worldwide, Krav Maga is known for its focus on
real-world situations and efficient counter-attacks. Derived from
street-fighting skills, it includes fitness, unarmed combat, knife and gun
disarms, and grappling techniques. What makes Krav Maga different to other
martial arts is that anyone regardless of age, gender and fitness level can
learn it quickly and use it successfully. The system is designed to enable a
smaller defender to successfully neutralize an attack by a larger aggressor, and
is perfectly suited for women and teenagers. We train Mondays and
Thursdays 18:45-20:45 upstairs at Car Service City diagonally opposite Cambridge
Crossing shopping centre in Petervale. Interested?
Contact Details for EDA Krav Maga.
Straits are Still Direr Back to top
Julius says that he has recently been in dire straights, namely the roads through the Free State.
Newsletter Changes, New Newsletter
Since early 2009 the Megaplex website has run largely as a labour of love
intended to make your life easier as a shopper in Sandton, and to increase the
prosperity of this area. Since November 2009 this newsletter has run
monthly with the same purpose. Originally it was "Shopping in Morningside, Rivonia and Woodmead",
then in 2011, "Shopping in North-Eastern Sandton" and "Shopping in Northern
Sandton". Finally, in 2012, we became "Shopping in Sandton".
We are changing the newsletter's timing, moving it to near the beginning of
the month: It always looked "late" to have it arriving at the very end of the
In the latter half of the month we are starting, again as a public service to
help our readers, a new newsletter: "Doing Business in Sandton" will have
internet and other tips and tricks to help your shop or other business grow and
prosper. You might also find it useful if you are thinking of starting a small
business, or creating an extra online income. Subscribe here.
Petition for a Ban on Fireworks in Johannesburg
The festive season showed yet again that people just will not handle fireworks
responsibly. We had people detonating them in contravention of the municipal
regulations outside the designated hours, and within 500 m of a petrol station.
It's time to ban them entirely: Sign the petition set up by Ward 66 DA Councillor
Carlos da Rocha here.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R190/month!
5,891 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
Overheard at the Checkout:
cat keeps killing things: geckos, birds, mice... what can I do?"
giving him pellets."