Restaurant Review ~
Civic Tip ~
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Northern Sandton.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli on Top Centre
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston::
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
Wedding Speech? –A Piece of Cake!
Learn public speaking
in a relaxed, fun environment at Accenture Toastmasters: Meet
Thurs 10 & 17 January at 18:15 for 18:30 at Accenture, Waterfall
Call Rick on 082 389 3482 or
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton::
Grayston Shopping Centre
Atholl Square Shopping Centre
Sandhurst Centre, Rivonia Rd
Shopping in and around Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Almost all of us will one day need a blood transfusion
– Yet only 1% of people donate blood!
Make a difference to society! Donate at
Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Avenues, Craighall. Phone:
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Rivonia Restaurant reviews
Sandton Restaurant reviews
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
If you celebrate
Christmas, Chanukah, ChriFSMas, Yule, Holidays, International Mountain Day, the
Solstice, the Festive Season, Kwanzaa, Hogmanay, the New Year, or Tweede
Nuwejaar: Have a Great Time, and stay safe!
Goodbye to Yeesh! Fun for Kids; Hello Mazi-Mo's
We recently visited
Woodmead Commercial Park,
the little centre full of useful little businesses nestled between Woodmead Retail
Park and Woodmead Value Mart. To our distress, "Yeesh! Fun for Kids" was no
longer there. Yeesh was a wonderful indoor playground where parents could
leave their children to play safely while they (the parents) went shopping in
Woodmead. It seems that the ANC-induced recession caught up with them too, as it
did with Quack and Moo Playhouse, a less extensive version that disappeared from
Sunninghill Village some months ago. Sad.
On the positive side, something similar has opened on the ground floor in
Rivonia Oriental City (formerly Rivonia Square, formerly formerly The Cloisters,
originally a Carmelite Convent, for those with long memories!). Mazi-Mo's Play
Arena and Café says, "We're an indoor playground with 4 play areas including
a trampoline and climb section. Kids are accompanied by minders who keep them
safe and ensure they have the most fun. Our cafe offers mouth-watering dishes
off an a la carte menu, we also serve breakfast buffets on Saturday and Sundays.
Our opening specials are here to stay! We want you to experience the Mazi-Mo's #mofun
promise, by giving away 20 minutes of free play, you can then pay R100 for the
remainder of the hour. Remember, our ticket grants access to the entire arena.
Our Kid's Club is great value, you get 5 play sessions for R500, 13 Sessions for
R1000 and 28 Sessions for R2000, you can enjoy these sessions with friends and
family, the more you play, the more you save!" We haven't visited them
Trevor Noah has made it big in the US. It is only
fitting that we should celebrate: I propose we build him a triumphal arch, along
the lines of Paris's Arc de Triomphe. We would, of course, call it "Noah's Arc".
Furnished Single Room to Let: January 2019 in Morningside
Cosy bedroom with
private half bathroom (shower, basin, toilet). Carpeted, fully furnished and serviced. Shared kitchen, lounge, patio,
garden and cats. Secure
parking. Close to shops and bus routes. Ideal for student,
newly-employed, or recently separated. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail us, or
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- The Christmas Boutique, Upper Level in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Everything Christmas: Biggest selection of imported Xmas decorations. Thousands of decorations in store now! Best of International Decorations, Various Snow globes Includes Musical, Christmas Candles and Accessories, Christmas Table Linen, Christmas Tree Skirts, Bags & Ribbons, Assorted Ceramics, Christmas Trees & Decorations, Multipacks, Christmas Bears, Stockings & Santa Sacks, Wreaths, Crackers, Table Top Decorations.
- Tactical .22 has moved from C7 Lower level in Woodmead Commercial Park to Shop 6b, Waterford Shopping Centre, Cor Witkoppen Road and Nerine Street – Indoor shooting range. Guns, ammunition, exotic gun hire.
- SA Autobrokers has moved from C8 Lower level in Woodmead Commercial Park to Woodmead Square – Cash flow problems? Sell your car, bakkie, double-cab or 4x4 to them and then rent it back. Also used vehicle sales.
- Sansiro, Shop 03A, Lower Level in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Upmarket men's boutique. Exclusive men's clothing, shoes, and perfume: "Wear smart, smell divine", dahling!
- ICT Integrators, Ground in Petervale Shopping Centre – Buy, sell, trade in, or trade up all makes of Laptop & PC. Free diagnostics and No Fix - No Fee policy. Virus Removal. Repair, upgrades, advice. Fix cellular phones (free collection & return). Screen Replacements.
- New Chef Indian Restaurant, Ground in Petervale Shopping Centre – Opened December 2018.
- Pick 'n Pay Clothing, Ground in Rivonia Village – Clothes and fashion for the whole family: shoes, tops, dresses, trousers, shirts, hats, swimming costumes etc.
- Doctors' Rooms, Upper Level in The Wedge, Morningside – Open 08:00-20:00.
- Capitec ATM and Standard Bank ATM, Upper Level in The Wedge, Morningside – Left of the entrance to Superspar, right of the lift to lower parking.
- Roasting Jacks, Shop 05, Upper Level in The Wedge, Morningside – Chicken meals, rotisserie chicken, chicken sandwiches, burgers, salads, breakfast until noon, coffee, juices, tart, apple pie, brownies.
- Matrix Warehouse Computers in Rivonia Crossing 2 – Computer sales and repairs. Technical services, IT technical services, video surveillance.
- Maverick Gaming in Rivonia Crossing 2 – Matrix Warehouse's huge gaming centre offers 140 PC gaming stations.
- Umbro, Shop 56A, North Wing in Woodmead Retail Park – Teamwear: Colourful branded sports tops, shorts, socks. Football boots, clubs jerseys, collections, footwear, training.
- Sedgars Furniture, Shop 81, Separate Block in Woodmead Retail Park – Barstools/chairs, bedroom, dining, lounge, mattresses, TV/coffee stands, ornaments. Blinds & curtaining, wallpaper, mirrors, designer carpets. Home accessories, kitchen accessories, linen. Carrol Boyes, Roberto Cavalli. Between Toyota and KFC: 22 Waterval Crescent.
- STK Grillhouse, Shop 05 in Morningview Shopping Centre – Opening Soon. Replaces Great Burger Company.
- Pop-up shoe shop in Morningview Shopping Centre – 3 pairs for R270. Crowded.
- Medifam Family Medical Wellness Centre has moved from Grayston Shopping Centre to Shop 12 (next to the pharmacy) in Morningview Shopping Centre – Travel Clinic, Executique Medical Wellness, Sixth Sense Medical Aesthetics.
- One Stop Ink Shop / MicroJet SA, Shop C4, Building C in Woodmead Commercial Park – Ink cartridges, toner cartridges, printers, printing, printer repairs, IT solutions.
- Under Armour, Shop W, Upper Level in Woodmead Value Mart
– Branded shoes and sports clothing from Baltimore, USA.
- Rawson Properties, Shop 31, Lower Level in Morning Glen Mall – Real Estate sales and rentals.
To the right of Pick 'n Pay, where Cardies was.
- Mazi-Mo's Play Arena and Café, Ground in Rivonia Oriental City – Indoor playground with four play areas, trampoline, climb section. Cafe offers an a la carte menu, breakfast buffet on weekends.
Get a FREE Loyalty Card that Gives you up to 5% Cash Back!
Up to 5% of your spend back when shopping at selected merchants, plus one to 15 Shopping Points
per R1000, to use on special offers. The card is honoured in 47 countries and powered by Lyoness, the global shopping community. To get one
click here and send the resulting email (or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Lyoness Cashback Card" in the Subject).
We will reply with your personalised invitation to apply on-line.
Restaurant Reviews by Judith Back to top
*** Perron, Hobart Grove, Bryanston
Devastated to find Junipa’s closed (hence no Banting bread), we went next door to Perron,
which has a decidedly South American flavour and very naughty names for
cocktails. Neither of us being interested in these, we ordered an
Appletiser and Villiera dry white.
Liking the hot flavours, I ordered Carnitas, which were suitably hot and
tasty. My partner had Fish Tacos and made sure that they were not hot!
All in all a friendly restaurant and a very acceptable light lunch.
Trust’s service was attentive. Recommended especially for lovers of
. Back to top
**** Mugg and Bean, Woodmead Retail Park
We were out looking for Banting bread and picked up a quick lunch on
the way. Mugg and Bean is always good value, and this visit was no
exception. Lindy was prompt with her service and we ordered Hot
Chocolate (bottomless) and Hills and Dales Sauvignon Blanc. To eat, my
partner chose the Calves Liver Croissant and I a Mushroom Omelette with
Low Carb bread. Unfortunately the omelette was overcooked first time,
but the second one was fine.
I must remember to ask for yellow not brown omelettes!
Very pleasant lunch and we found Banting bread at Fornos across the
corridor. PS: Superspar at The Wedge also has Banting bread on a regular basis.
Contact Details for Mugg & Bean. Back to top
Festive Season Safety Tip: Dangerous Spoons
Leave a teaspoon
in your coffee mug, drink incautiously, and you could take your eye out.
Even worse, I heard of a little girl who swallowed a coffee spoon, with
disastrous results... She couldn't stir!
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R192/month*!
5,986 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
(*Non-top banner for one year paid in advance, includes VAT,
- Yeesh! Fun for kids, Shop G6 in Woodmead Commercial Park – Two storey climbing frame and obstacle course: Build gross motor skills, spatial awareness, social skills, problem solving and confidence while having fun. "The Paint Pot" (pottery painting), toddler section and coffee shop. Kids parties and school outings organised. Was underneath Fullerton Furniture, Building G.
- Avinia's Beauty Spa, Shop 06 in Grosvenor Crossing – Skin treatments, massage, manicure and pedicure.
- Mankind by J, Shop 23 in Woodmead Retail Park – Speciality, tobacco, nuts, biltong, men's gifting.
- Art Beat Gallery and Framing, Shop 70 in Woodmead Retail Park
- Geen & Richards - Chateau d'Ax Italia, Shop 81 in Woodmead Retail Park – Extensive furniture store, separate building just south of the main Woodmead Retail Park, on the opposite side of Waterval Crescent, just north of Mias Angling and the KFC.
- Great Burger Company, Shop 05 in Morningview Shopping Centre – Gourmet Classic Burgers, social food, build your own burger, side orders, grills,
- Medbond, Shop 12 in Morningview Shopping Centre – Financial Services, Insurance, and Investment Banking Organisation based in Dubai, Hong Kong, South Africa, and "Veitnam".
- Chem Spec / Trade Depot / Jack's Paint and Hardware, Shop C4 in Woodmead Commercial Park – WoodFinish, Industrial Coatings, general hardware and paint.
Get Your Own Web Page for only R570/month!
A web page
on the longstanding and trusted Megaplex website will give your
business extra weight with Google! Quickly increase your web presence! Minimum commitment only 3 months. e-mail us, or
Africa – the Duck
Julius says that a waterfowl that cheats at
hide-and-seek must be a "peeking duck".
News from City of Joburg
below from Johannesburg Ward 117's
Councillor Tim Truluck.
The IEC recently announced that next year's Provincial and National election
will be held in May. It could not be held before May due to Easter and it cannot
be on 1 May as it is a holiday. So, my money is on Wed 8 May.
There will be one last Voter Registration weekend on Sat 26 and Sun 27 January
2019. Every voting station in SA will be open from 8am to 5pm on both days. New
voters can use this chance to register to vote. Voters who have moved or want to
update their address can also go to their correct voting station.
But did you know that you can now re-register online without going to a voting
station or an IEC office?
Fill out Cllr Tim's form and he'll tell you how!
Have Your Say in Changing the Fireworks By-Laws
The City of Joburg is amending the Emergency Services By-laws. There is a raft
of topics relating to fire-related issues in the by-laws and Chapter 3 deals
with the "Control of Fireworks".
I doubt that fireworks will be banned in the City, but they need to be better
controlled and changes need to be made. It would be a good idea to encourage
quieter and less smoky fireworks (called "green" firecrackers in India), place
more control of the importation and selling of fireworks and restrict back yard
firework displays. Greater policing and more efficient reporting, especially on
the nights where fireworks are allowed, is a must.
You can access the draft by-laws here. You
had until 13 December 2018 to submit comments. There should also be some public
meetings in the new year (subscribe to Cllr Tim's newsletter to hear when they are announced).
click on this link.
Written submissions may be submitted to the following email addresses:
Valuation Update - Avoiding the Dreaded Section 52 Review
If you haven't yet received any notification as to the outcome of your
Objection, there are usually two reasons:
(1) They haven't done it yet. Check the status of your objection online here; or
(2) You requested it be sent to you by mail and it has got delayed or lost in
the post. In this case you will have missed the boat to appeal and will need to
try and lodge a Sect 78 review (I would suggest you get hold of a lawyer for this).
But many of us are starting to receive the outcome of our Valuation Objections.
It is thus time to talk about the Dreaded Section 52 Review that may be triggered depending on how much
your valuation has been reduced (or rarely, increased).
Section 52(2) of the MPRA states that if the Municipal Valuer changes the value
of a property that was objected to by more than 10% upwards or downwards the
Appeal Board must review the objection, confirm, amend or revoke the decision of
the Municipal Valuer.
The problem is that the Section 52 Review is often held years later (it can be
up to 7 years), behind closed doors without you knowing about it and the only
recourse to reverse it is via the High Court. Often the Review Board reverses
the new lower value and reinstates the higher one and you get a bill for tens of
thousands of rand back-dated to the date of the review board decision.
You therefore have to appeal to avoid the Section 52 Review.
If you appeal, then you will be called into an Appeal Board hearing in a year or
2 where you can present your case yourself (or via a representative appointed by
you) where you will get a fair and open hearing. This will circumvent the
dreaded section 52 Review.
As an example, below is a copy of an actual outcome letter. You can see that the
objection was successful and that the valuation was reduced from R3.438 million
to R2.8 million. The owner is happy with the valuation. But it has triggered a
Section 52 Review, so she HAS TO APPEAL. In this case, the estate agents
valuations were R2.5 and R2.6 million, so the reason for the appeal is straight
forward - she is not happy with the R2.8 million and wants it reduced.
She downloaded the appeal form (do it here), printed it out, completed it and
took the original docs along with a new covering letter to the Valuation Dept on
the 2nd floor, Block B, at the Civic Centre. Take a book as there are queues!
Make sure you get confirmation that you handed it in and do not miss the
Keep all your documents and receipts safe - always scan them and store them on
the cloud. You will need them in a few years time at the Appeal Board.
Overheard at the Checkout
the news, I see the President says that the minimum wage is not enough.."
much more does he want to be paid?!"