Restaurant Review ~
Civic Tip ~
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Northern Sandton.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli on Top Centre
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston::
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
Woodlands Office Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
Wedding Speech? –A Piece of Cake!
Learn public speaking
in a relaxed, fun environment at Woodlands Toastmasters: Meet
Tues 6 & 20 August at 17:45 for 18:00 at Pendo Energy, 22B The
Woodlands Office Park.
Call Rick on 082 389 3482 or
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton::
Grayston Shopping Centre
Atholl Square Shopping Centre
Sandhurst Centre, Rivonia Rd
Shopping in and around Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Almost all of us will one day need a blood transfusion
– Yet only 1% of people donate blood!
Make a difference to society! Donate at
Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Avenues, Craighall. Phone:
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Rivonia Restaurant reviews
Sandton Restaurant reviews
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
Furnished Single Room to
Let Now in Morningside
Cosy bedroom with private
half bathroom (shower, basin, toilet). Carpeted, fully furnished and
serviced. Shared kitchen, lounge, patio, garden and cats. WiFi. Secure
parking. Close to shops and bus routes. Ideal for student,
newly-employed, or recently separated. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail
Ward 109 Changes Hands
In last Wednesday's by-election the Democratic Alliance lost (to the African National Congress)
Johannesburg Ward 109, which we won off the ANC when I was ending my term as DA
Branch Chair in 2016. This was the only DA loss out of four Johannesburg wards
Why was a by-election needed? Because the City Councillor,
Werner Smit, resigned effective 15 March.
This publication has a copy of his open letter of resignation . Harrowing reading, it runs to 7 PDF pages
including photos. Here is a summary:
"The 2016 local government election made history when the
ANC polled under 50% in the City of Johannesburg. The new city government was a
minority DA-led coalition government that could only pass items and budgets
through Council with the support of the EFF. Such a governing arrangement was
always going to be difficult. Some of this played out in Ward 109,
which is a microcosm of urban South Africa. Besides the suburbs of
Morningside Manor, Wendywood, portions of Gallo Manor and Edenburg, Strathavon,
Kelvin, Marlboro Gardens and industrial and commercial areas (East Gate
Industrial, Kelvin View and Kramerville), the Ward includes part of Alexandra, Marlboro South,
and the Setswetla Informal Settlement.
"On the banks of the Jukskei River next to Marlboro Gardens and Setswetla there is industrial scale
illegal dumping of rubble. This has taken away the flood plain of the river. Higher
flood levels and drownings will result. Brick buildings are built on the uncompacted
and probably unstable landfill.
"There is illegal building below the former 25-year flood line, and under
High Voltage Eskom Cables. On 5 March 2019 a shack fire
under one of the pylons destroyed numerous homes and collapsed the pylon.
"There is no control from the City of this building activity. This fits in with
the main problem of the general proliferation of illegal buildings in dangerous
places like in the flood zone, in servitudes and on city owned erven.
"In Marlboro Gardens Ext 1 there have been persistent attempts to invade
land owned by the City, particularly in June/July 2017 and August/September
2018. There is a Court Order from 2016 protecting the valley, servitudes and
City-owned stands. The City of Johannesburg's Citizen Relationship and Urban
Management (CRUM), JMPD and SAPS tried to stop these invasions. There has
however been political meddling in these operations, making officials uncertain
what to do.
"There are two EFF PR councillors (not residents in the ward) who are
pushing an agenda that the established residents do not support. They are
building their political profile on the backs of the poor and marginalized, who
will bear the brunt when things go wrong.
"The impact of all of this is catastrophic: the value of houses has gone
down, there are deadly fires, a spike in crime (two murders recently, arson,
domestic and public violence, excessive noise from new shebeens), regular
electrical outages, loss of water pressure, less hygienic conditions due to
inaccessibility to collect waste, service of portable toilets, limited access to
emergency vehicles and virtually no open spaces for children to play in. Life is
far worse in Setswetla now than two years ago. There seems to be carte
blanche for the lawless in this portion of the Jukskei River Valley. The damage
will take decades to sort out."
It seems that the DA-led City Council headed by mayor Herman Masahba is not
prepared to act against EFF-instigated land invasions, nor the general
lawlessness. Councillor Smit's calls to prevent lives being placed at risk
have fallen on deaf ears. It remains to be seen whether the loss of the
ward will be a wake-up call for the DA. One wonders if the new ANC Councillor
can make any better inroads with the executive, as councillors have no executive
The gravy train continues unabated: On top of all
their existing perks and corruption, it is said that civil servants will soon
also get a free lifestyle audit...
Free Spreadsheets from Software Africa!
spreadsheets will be e-mailed to you by auto-responder on request.
To use them you need Microsoft Excel (instructions included, but no
batteries): Bank Account Reconciliation, Fuel Consumption Record,
Rainfall Record, Water Meter Readings, Electricity Meter Readings,
Mattress Turning Schedule, John Demartini Savings Calculator, and
Quotation System with Bill of Materials:
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- Jetline e.com Print on Demand has moved from 329 Rivonia Boulevard in Rivonia (opposite Rivonia Village) to Rivonia Junction – all kinds of Printing, Web Hosting, Website Design, photo books, Pull-up Banners, Posters, Stickers, Signs, Car Magnets, Book Binding, Banners, Chromadek Signs, CD/DVD Printing, Training Manuals, Building Wraps, binding, Die Cutting, Billboards, Flags.
- Cutting Cake has moved out of Shop 13 in Sunhill Shopping Centre but still operates in Sunninghill – pastries, cakes and cupcakes, wedding cakes, pastries and gourmet cuisine. Catering from large celebrations to private and intimate dinner parties.
- SpeechQuest Toastmasters Club – Meet at 18:30 for 19:00, 2nd and 4th Thursday of most months at 1st Floor, Block 32, The Woodlands Office Park.
- Smeltz Burger Shack, Ground in Sunhill Shopping Centre – Speciality burgers, beef or chicken, hot dog heaven, specialized rolls, saucy chips, all freshly prepared.
- Motherland Coffee Company, in Rivonia – Coffee and café fare. Light meals, treats and snacks baked and prepared in store. Ground, cnr. 353 Rivonia Boulevard & 10th Ave.
- The Daily Coffee Shop, Ground in Riverside Shopping Centre – South African coffee franchise with manually prepared coffee.
- Roast Republic, Shop F004, Ground in Sloane Square – Coffee roastery and café. Social enterprise (they give 50% of profits to education development).
- Royal Kids Bryanston, First Floor in Riverside Shopping Centre – Kids hair cuts. First cut. Hair products. Event styling. Glamour parties.
- Minuteman Press, Shop F004, Ground in Sloane Square – Printers. Full service printing/copy centre, Brochures, Letterheads, Business cards, Rubber Stamps, Graphics designs.
- The Pool Team, Shop 03, Ground in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – Retail and wholesale expert suppliers of reliable, cost effective products, equipment and chemicals for your swimming pool. Aqua Pro chemicals.
- The Crazy Store, Shop 13, Ground in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – Specialized items and gifts. Reading glasses, Sunglasses, novels, birthday cards. Party things, bathroom, sewing, picture frames, baby range, candles. Dog and cat toys, gardening, braai, hardware, kitchen. Plasticware, sweets, glassware.
- Cell C Sunninghill, Shop 07, Ground in Chilli Lane Shopping Centre Sunninghill – Cellphones, prepaid, accounts and contracts, cell phone accessories.
Let, 1 September
Roomy garden apartment
with double bedroom, bathroom, split-level lounge-dining room, kitchen, patio, garden and
secure carport. WiFi. Carpeted, fully furnished and serviced including
laundry. Close to shops and bus routes. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail
Restaurant Reviews by Judith Back to top
*** The Dros Sunninghill, The Square, Sunninghill
It was difficult ordering here as they did not have everything on the menu. Worth visiting for the view though, I just pity the waiters.
Contact Details for The Dros Sunninghill. Back to top
**** Doppio Zero, Chilli Lane Shopping Centre,
Still somewhat noisy and rather cold as people kept leaving the door open. My partner had hot chocolate and I Robertson Chardonnay. Lasagne and salmon and Avocado on rye filled the gaps.
Victor was a great waiter. Really a place to go on a warm night!
Contact Details for Doppio Zero. Back to top
Funny Language, English...
Be careful how many
glittering decorations you put on your party dress, or you could be hurt in an
unfortunate sequins of events.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R192/month*!
Around 6,000 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
(*Non-top banner for one year paid in advance, includes VAT,
- Studio 353 in Rivonia – Beauty parlour, gents' & ladies' hairdressing. Relaxers, curl reducers, colouring, weaving and braiding. Ground, cnr. 353 Rivonia Boulevard & 10th Ave.
- Bella Anima Restaurant, Shop 06 in Sunhill Shopping Centre – 100% Vegetarian. Licensed.
- Knead Bakery & Café Riverside in Riverside Shopping Centre – Artisan bakery: Bread, pastries and confectionery baked on site every day. Café food, artisan beer, selected wines.
- Bub Hub & Company, Shop 23 in Riverside Shopping Centre – Baby Wellness Studio, a place where we show mom how to stimulate and develop their Baby. Was First Floor.
- Maddy Magoo Bryanston, Shop 21 in Riverside Shopping Centre – Kids hair cuts. First cut. Braids and cornrows. Glamour parties. Products. Event styling. Was First Floor.
- Gift'd Collections & Décor, Shop F004 in Sloane Square – Interior design, upholstery, curtaining, lighting, picture framing, cushions, project management.
- Security Depot in Sloane Square – security fencing, CCTV, garage motors, some hardware and electrical.
- Café Matta in Sloane Square – Mediterranean cuisine. Take-aways.
- Sum It Up Maths Education (Suite 4 Upstairs) in Sloane Square – Primary and High School Maths. High School Science, Accountancy, Study Buddy. Primary School English, homework supervision.
- Mr & Mrs Bead (Suite 9 Upstairs) in Sloane Square – Beaded jewellery. Jewellery made to order and repaired. Beading lessons. Kids' parties. Watch batteries. Beads, Crystals, pearls, findings, jewelry.
- Naartjie Kids, Shop 03 in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – Children's Clothes | Kid's Clothes | Baby Clothes: Epsom Downs Shopping Centre, Bryanston. Johannesburg.
- Designer Bites, Shop 11 in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – Catering, confectionery & events. designer cakes. cake pops, catering platters, event styling, candy stations. No function too big or too small.
- CNA, Shop 13 in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – Central News Agency: Books, cards, gifts & stationery. Digital toys, confectionaries, CD, magazines, maps.
- Country Meat Bryanston, Shop 14/15/16 in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – Meat market, artisan butchery, delicatessen, eatery. Fresh beef, lamb, pork and chicken. dairy products, Baked goods, cold meats, sauces, spices, Free State biltong and droëwors.
- Nandos Epsom Downs, Shop 18/20 in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – Peri-peri or lemon-and-herb chicken. Salads, kids meals, drinks, desserts.
- Standard Bank & ATMs, Shop 38 in Chilli Lane Shopping Centre Sunninghill – A typical Substandard Bank.
- Standard Bank ATM in Sunhill Shopping Centre.
- ABSA ATM in Dunwoody Centre – was to the right of Jetline.
- Makgahlele Mashaba Attorneys (Suite 3) in Dunwoody Centre – Was 1st Floor.
- Value-Added Logistics (Suite 4) in Dunwoody Centre – Transport and Logistics: Large Projects. Was 1st Floor.
- Rodavani in Morningview Shopping Centre – Exclusive men's shoes, so exclusive that they display no contact details and seem seldom open.
- Curry & Spice, Shop 36A in Morning Glen Mall – Authentic Indian spices and take-away food. Was Lower Level.
Get Your Own Web Page for only R570/month!
A web page
on the longstanding and trusted Megaplex website will give your
business extra weight with Google! Quickly increase your web presence! Minimum commitment only 3 months. e-mail us, or
"You have a point .. a stupid point, but still a
point." – "Red" Kowalski, "Taxi", Springbok Radio.
Report Bad Driving to Joburg's New WhatsApp Hotline!
The Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department (JMPD) has introduced a
WhatsApp-based hotline to report reckless and negligent driving behaviour and
The WhatsApp number is 081 410 6338. To report incidents, do this:
- Take a clear photo or video of the offense with registration
number of the vehicle and other relevant information.
- Upload to the hotline with a short description, including date, time and
location of the incident.
- Provide your name and contact details, which will be kept anonymous.
Note: You must have taken the photos yourself and be ready
to testify against the offender in court.
Read more here.
Overheard at the Checkout
and I had a riveting discussion yesterday."
"A fascinating chat? With Jeff?"
I said a 'riveting discussion': He wanted to tell
how to use pop-rivets."