Restaurant Review ~
Health Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Above Car Service City,
off Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Sandton.
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
We are looking for full-time and part-time staff with Hairdressing college qualifications to join our
Sunninghill team of hairstylists. If you are stable, creative, and committed, send your CV to
You will be contacted if your CV is acceptable.
Shopping Centres and Shops in and near Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Shops
Rivonia Oriental City
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Well – Become a Leader!
Transformers Toastmasters meets 2nd and 4th
Monday of each month at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, at
18:45. Future leaders are welcome! Contact Judith Taylor
on 082 389-3481 or
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops in Woodmead
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton and
Grayston Shopping Centre
The Colony, Craighall Park
Almost all of us will one day need a blood transfusion
– Yet only 1% of people donate blood!
Make a difference to society! Your nearest donor centre is at
Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Avenues, Craighall.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
The "Perfect" place for salads, subs, pasta, pizza, burgers, chips, soft drinks.
Open 10:00-21:00 every day. Free delivery of orders R60 and up within 3 km.
Nick: 011 656-0652,
Focus on the World EcoMobility Fiascoval
"EcoMobility is an environmentally friendly way of moving, that aims to
decongest major cities. The goal is to reduce the number of private cars on
the roads to allow free movement of people around our cities. EcoMobility is
designed to give the cities back to the people, giving them the freedom to
cycle, walk, jog and stroll freely. It is also intended to reduce the amount of
air pollution and make our world a cleaner place to live in."
The "EcoMobility World Festival" is the Third-World Class African City's
well-meaning but badly-planned and poorly-executed way to get users of the Sandton CBD out of
their cars and on foot, cycles, or into the largely invisible buses and largely
unsafe and non-law-abiding taxis. Over 100 000 people travel to and from Sandton
every day, with more than 75,000 vehicles driving into Sandton in the mornings,
making it one of the best places to annoy the largest number of voters six
months before an election. The City of Johannesburg is misdirecting significant
money into the showcase project of Bus Rapid Transit and cycling lanes in the
Sandton CBD, while ignoring critical needs like rebuilding Bryanston Drive.
The start, originally planned for 1 October 2015, has been pushed forward to
Monday 4 October. On Monday 4 October a further delay will be announced to
Monday 11 October. On Monday 11 October, the start will be rescheduled for
early November and, when that arrives, the Festival will be moved to 2016.
Did you hear about the explorer who went missing in the jungle?
Something he disagreed with, ate him.
NOW OPEN at 16 Waterval Crescent, Woodmead!
Over 8000 items to choose from: Toys, gifts, stationery, kitchenware, houseware, plasticware, multimedia, car sound and much more! Open Mon-Fri: 09:00-17:00 (Fri closed 12:00-14:00), Sat: 9:00-17:00, Sun: 10:00 - 14:00.
Tel: 011 656 6068, email:
saIes@osmans.co.za Group web site
New on the Block, Movers
and Shakers Back to top
- Craighall Sports Club, 33 Abercorn Avenue near The Colony, Craighall – Karate, Biodanza, Boot Camp and Coaching for Kids, Bowls, Club Bell Athletics, Little Kickers, Pilates, Russian School of Ballet, Soccer Skills Clinics for Boys & Girls, Tac Fit, Tennis, Yoga, Live To Dance (Modern and Tap), Country Market every 3rd Saturday.
- Grosvenor Crossing and Kelvin Village Shopping Centre are under new Management.
- Goof Swimming School, Shop 256 Bryanston Drive near Riverside Shopping Centre – Accredited Swim South Africa swimming school and instructors. New customers get a free trial lesson. Parking across 115 St Audley Street, Bryanston (boomed-off area).
- Bliss Juicery, Lower Level in The Colony, Craighall – Fresh juices. Closed until 12 October 2015.
- Home Entertainment Installations, Lower Level in The Colony, Craighall – TV & Hi-Fi repairs, DStv installations, CCTV installations, Audio-visual & design.
- New in Riverside Shopping Centre, Bryanston:
- Granny Goose Duvets, Shop 5, Ground – Reopened after two years! Fluffy down duvets, pillows, pillow-cases, sheets, bedding.
- NAP Living, Shop 2, Ground – Wall plaque: "If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough". Décor, clothes and accessories, furniture. Hand cream. Silver, leather, and pewter jewellery, biofires, sofas, driftwood mirrors and glass light balls.
- Erawan Thai Restaurant and Bar, Shop 3, Ground – Not yet licensed: Bring your own bottle.
- Chateau Gateaux, Shop 16, Ground – Patisserie: Quality handmade cakes, desserts, pastries, puddings, tarts, baguettes and breads. Coffees and teas.
- Hello Tomato, Ground – Italian restaurant and take-away: Pizza, pasta, frozen custard, salads, drinks.
- Sorbet Salon, Upstairs – Health & Beauty: Face and body professionals.
- Laser-Licious, Upstairs – Microderm abrasion. Chemical peels.
- Moo & Phry TV, Shop LL04, Basement in Sunninghill Village – DStv installations and repairs.
- Sunninghill Arts and Crafts, Shop LL09, Basement in Sunninghill Village – Mosaics, paints, decoupage, scrapbooking, paints, canvasses, arts and crafts. Workshops for all ages.
- SOFA (School of Finance and Accounting) (Suite 5), 1st Floor in Sunninghill Village – Tuition for Bcompt and BCom degrees, Bachelor of Accounting Science, Bachelor of Commerce.
- Kumon Sunninghill (Suite 1), 1st Floor in Sunninghill Village – Maths and English tuition. Discovering the potential of each individual child.
- Ukonga Energy Solutions, 1st Floor in Sunninghill Village – LED Decor & Ceiling Lighting.
- Quack & Moo Clubhouse, North Wing in Sunninghill Village – Kids' indoor play venue with Café. After 18:00, kids play for free if you book for supper.
- Tazkia Skin, Body & Nails, Shop G09, North Wing in Sunninghill Village – Skin, body and nails, now in one store catering for all beauty and slimming needs (Tazkia Body Clinic has moved here from upstairs in the main block).
Restaurant Reviews by Judith Back to top
**** Il Localino, Hobart Grove Centre, Cnr of
Hobart and Grosvenor Roads, Bryanston
A wander through the streets of Bryanston brought us to the Hobart Grove Shopping
Centre and there we found Il Localino. This restaurant, like so many
others in shopping centres, looks over the car park. I have to ask, with
tears in my eyes, why developers do this, when they have access to amazing views
and less pollution.
Having raged about that, let's look at the restaurant itself. It
is a new style basic set up with a very good welcoming team. Bezzel was
our assigned waiter and greeted us well with a good offer of menus.
Somehow, we never got to specials, but we do tend to rush ahead.
We opted for the Darling Cellar Merlot and a Mango Juice for drinks.
For food, I fancied a Steak Tartar and my partner a Lasagne Bolognese. The
drinks were great. So was the Lasagne.
For my dish, I was expecting a plate of
raw mince plus additives to mix in as required to taste.
No, it arrived to chef's taste –and was sent back.
I then got what I had ordered and expected.
The food was good. Please be very clear about what you are ordering
especially if you are a Banter. We will go again.
Contact Details for Il Localino Ristorante.
Versus Paint Specialists for Free Paint Advice
Shop 14, Morning Glen Mall, inside
Sensational Blinds & Flooring, Lower Level next to the escalators.
Free colour consultations and paint advice (by appointment only): Call
011 885 3136.
"You know you are a mathematician when you can think of more meanings for
'normal' than is, well, normal." --Peter Frisk in AWADmail.
Left This Vale of Tears:
Back to top
- Fred Astaire Dance Studio, Shop S009 in The Colony, Craighall – In the main passage leading from the back parking to the lower parking, at the foot of the stairs.
- Car Audio & Security City, Shop 3 in Sandton Court – Sound systems and immobilisers fitted while your car waits.
- Nannymaids, Shop UG10 in Sunninghill Village – Domestic help.
- Sunninghill Coins & Collectables, Shop LL09 in Sunninghill Village – rare coins, notes, medals & rare collectables.
- e-toll Customer Service Outlet in Sunninghill Village – Temporary kiosk to register for e-tolls and sign your life away to SANRAL.
- Verte in Sunninghill Village – Skin care and nail salon. Was in North Wing next to ABSA.
- Kai Thai Restaurant, Sunninghill in Sunninghill Village – Frequent winner for best Thai restaurant? Was in North Wing near ABSA.
- Fashion Gallery, Shop North Wing in Sunninghill Village – Ladies Clothing and Shoe Boutique, handbags, Shoes.
Hairspray Salon failed to pay for this advert, so it has been
A Mining Man Loves his Oars
Julius has taken up rowing. He says it is "oarsome".
Green News: Children's Nature Day - Saturday, 3rd October
Back to top
Friends of Rietfontein is organising a special training session for children at the Rietfontein Nature Reserve, 8:30 until 11:30.
Children will be led in small groups on a guided/interpretive walk around the reserve. They will learn about animals and plants in a supervised, educational environment. The walk will be facilitated by environmental educational experts of Africa Nature Training (ANT)*.
Bring a hat, sunscreen, and binoculars. Tea, coffee and biscuits will be served
on arrival. R50/child - booking limited to 30 places: Contact Kate on 082 632 0636.
*Africa Nature Training (ANT) runs a part-time Nature Enthusiast Course for adults with Wednesday evening lectures at Henley Business School and weekend field trips to various locations in and around Gauteng, including the Waterberg and lowveld. Further details can be found on
ANT's website, or
The Favourite Accounting Program of Non-Accountants
QuickBooks uses everyday terms like
"invoice a customer", "enter bills", "receive payments". None of
that technical "Debtors" and "Creditors" stuff! Easy to install,
easy to use. Bank accounts, bills, invoices, customer and supplier lists, useful graphs, VAT, all in one place.
Premier version R4399, Pro only R3299. 30% discount on upgrades from Software Africa: e-mail or call 011 802 2685.
Traffic Tip Back to top
To add to the fun of EcoImmobility month, the 19th annual Momentum 94.7 Cycle
Challenge takes place on Sunday, 15 November 2015. This is the second-largest mass participation cycling event in the world, with approximately 34,000 cyclists
clogging the streets of greater Johannesburg. As a result, various roads throughout
the city will be closed from 04:30
There is a TomTom interactive map on
the Cycle Challenge website that is designed to assist residents and motorists to avoid the
road closures on Cycle Challenge Sunday.
Or just leave town.
Shopping Tips Back to top
Builder's Warehouse held a red dot sale, now finished. Fortunately we
did not need any red dots, otherwise I would be kicking myself now.
If you want a red tag, get to your nearest Opel and Chevy dealer: They are
having a red tag sale.
Mica Hardware and
Livingstones are all having Spring sales, so
you know where to go if you need any springs!
One of the useful items on sale at Mica is a Bosch Range Finder, just the thing if
you have lost your Range.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R133/month
6471 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
Overheard at the Checkout:
"Did you see the sign in the window of the camping shop?"
"Yes: Shakespeare would have cringed! 'Now is the winter of our discount tents'."