Restaurant Review ~
Green Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Mon & Thu above Car Service City,
off Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Northern Sandton.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Eloquently at Your Wedding!
Transformers Toastmasters meets 2nd and 4th
Monday of each month at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, at
18:45. Aspiring speakers are welcome! Contact Judith Taylor on 082 389 3481 or
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
Get Your Business Running Better!
The skills shortage is a big problem! De-skill your business and preserve knowledge by putting your expertise into
computer software, giving step-by-step processes for staff to follow.
Software Africa can help!
e-mail or call 082
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton:
Grayston Shopping Centre
Shopping in and around Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Be a Hero
– Donate Blood!
Save a life at little cost to yourself! Your nearest donor centre is at
Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Avenues, Craighall.
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
Open 7 Days A Week. Summer is here and we offer "FRESH HAIRCUTS" to keep you COOL everyday. Come and have a smooth, clean facial shave by our Stylist Sam! He is excellent with the cut-throat blade, so quick and expertly done. We also have other value-added services and specials. Please call 011 803 5015 for more information. Down the escalators in the
Main Block to the Basement in Sunninghill Village.
Welcome to March month:
According to the old joke, the COSATU calendar is: January, February, March,
However, everybody seems to be getting in on the act. The DA
marched on the ANC front company, Chancellor House, and later against Government
inaction on drugs in Eldorado Park. The alternative trade union movement
marched against corruption. The #FeesMustFall campaign had marches all over the
place –funny that it happens exactly at exam time, is it not? That was
also interesting because it had the ANCYL marching on the ANC's Luthuli
House! The EFF held a massive march for "economic freedom" and jobs, in the
process helping to kill off jobs by providing plenty of reasons why investors
should not put their money into South Africa. Today, the ANCWL is marching in
support of President Zuma, or is it in memory of OR Tambo?
Beyond the rhetoric of the marches, there is a thing called "reality".
A wise man once said "by their fruits ye shall know them". If we want a
prosperous, thriving, growing economy, there are examples worldwide.
There are examples, too, closer to home, in Africa. The GDP Annual Growth Rate in Mauritius is double ours,
in a place with far fewer natural resources. In Ghana the most recent growth
rate was close to 8% annually. Ours has been revised downward to 1.5%.
This is the fruit of 21 years of ANC and Communist Party ideology.
What about the EFF? It does not govern anywhere, but its policies are
modelled on those applied in Zimbabwe: There, they have been so
effective that 80% of the population is unemployed. That is, 80% of the population
that has not migrated to South Africa. Once-productive farms lie idle,
used as weekend retreats by the elite, while the people who used to work the
Yet there are local examples of what can be achieved. The Western Cape
has one of the fastest growing economies in the country, a substantially lower
unemployment rate than the national average despite high inward migration, and a Gini coefficient lower than
South Africa's (making it more equal than the rest of the country). It was
not always so. The pattern
of higher growth, lower unemployment, and greater equality, is replicated in the
Gauteng municipality of Midvaal. Both areas are governed by the Democratic
There are municipal elections next year. Will you work and vote for positive change, or
more of the same?
When things contract, they get smaller; when they expand, they get bigger.
–Shouldn't a "building contractor" rather be called an "building expander"?
NOW OPEN at 16 Waterval Crescent, Woodmead!
Over 8000 items to choose from: Toys, gifts, stationery, kitchenware, houseware, plasticware, multimedia, car sound and much more! Open Mon-Fri: 09:00-17:00 (Fri closed 12:00-14:00), Sat: 9:00-17:00, Sun: 10:00 - 14:00.
Tel: 011 656 6068, email:
saIes@osmans.co.za Group web site
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- Pure Motion Studio, has moved from Morningside Shopping Centre to 1st Floor in Rivonia Village – Now inside HFPA
(Health & Fitness Professionals Association) gym. A wellness programme
including Pilates, Personal Training, TRX Suspension
Training, Lifestyle training & eating programmes.
- Kelly's Nails & Beauty, shop 42 in Morning Glen Mall, is under new management.
- Animal Pharm in Morning Glen Mall has changed its name to Absolute Pets.
- Samsung Service Centre (All Electronics) has relocated to The Wedge
Shopping Centre, 255 Rivonia Rd, Morningside, from Lower level in Woodmead Commercial Park
– Expert repairs to all makes of electronic equipment. Samsung and Sanyo
- Barista Emporium, Shop LL12, Basement in Sunninghill Village – Inside Fightfit
Militia. Coffee and Health bar.
- bbq Workshop, Ground in Rivonia Village – Restaurant with wood-fired oven: Pita, souvlakia, grills, ribs, chops, salads.
- Health WakeUp, Shop 06, Lower Level in Morning Glen Mall – "Health" products, "detox and cleansing". Opened 17 October.
Discounts on some products and treatments until 31 December.
- Café Tavia, Rivonia Boulevard 329 in Rivonia Area Shops
– Bakery and coffee shop, on Rivonia Boulevard opposite Rivonia Village.
- Taiwan Café, Rivonia Boulevard 329 in Rivonia Area Shops – Chinese food: Rice dishes, soups, side
dishes, noodle dishes, Taiwan street food.
- Wellness Warehouse, Shop L07, Lower Level in Morningside Shopping Centre – Health-food shop inside Morningside Pharmacy.
- Morningside Toys, Shop L12, Lower Level in Morningside Shopping Centre –
A small toy shop selling small toys.
- ZUI, Shop U16, Upper Level in Morningside Shopping Centre – Ladies' clothing.
- Love Fish, Shop U27, Upper Level in Morningside Shopping Centre
– Fish & Sushi "Experience", probably including food.
- The Hussar Grill, Shop U51, Upper Level in Morningside Shopping Centre – Grills and mainly meat dishes, with commensurate prices. Snacks and starters.
- Saravanaa Bhavan, Upper Level in Rivonia Junction – Indian Vegetarian Restaurant chain,
finally opened 22 October.
- Pureberry, in Morningside Shopping Centre – Kiosk under the escalators. Frozen yoghurt, healthy fresh juice, smoothies.
- Sticks and Stones, Shop U20b, Upper Level in Morningside Shopping Centre – Chiropractic, Facials, Massage, Micro-Needling, Peels, Physiotherapy: See next entries for details.
- Dr Marie Rosenberg, Chiropractor, in Sticks and Stones in Morningside Shopping Centre – Chiropractic, inside Sticks and Stones.
- Physio On-Site, in Sticks and Stones in Morningside Shopping Centre – Physiotherapy.
- MySkinSpa, in Sticks and Stones in Morningside Shopping Centre – Skin Specialist: Facials, Massage, Micro-Needling, Peels.
by Judith Back to top
*** Ri'stretto Al Fresco Cucina at Garden
Court Morningside, cnr of Rivonia Road and Cullinan Close, Morningside
This restaurant replaces Pappachino's, as the franchisee decided to take over
the restaurant and rebrand it. There are some excellent options and it is
Banting friendly. Service was excellent and our waiter, Sonny, engaging.
They are also very open to feedback, which we gave.
We had starters - small appetites do
starters well! Even so, the excellent Calamari and Scallop salad defeated
me. Lunch the next day was covered! Rick's Chorizo sausage was overcooked and
rather chewy, accompanied by an over-dressed salad that had too much bitter
rocket for his taste. Appletizer and Boschendal Blanc de Noir well chilled were
This place is very child friendly. We will go again and definitely
recommend it for an evening meal.
Contact Details for Ri'stretto Al Fresco Cucina.
Funny Language, English...
The prefix, "re" means to do something again (redo, repaint, reframe). How
come "rebuff" doesn't mean "to buff again"?
Versus Paint Specialists for Free Paint Advice
Shop 14, Morning Glen Mall, inside Sensational Blinds & Flooring, Lower Level next to the escalators.
Free colour consultations and paint advice (by appointment only): Call 011 885 3136.
- Extravagant Bunch in Sandton Court
– Wholesale and distribution of flowers: On
the side of the Shell Select.
- Biltong and Nuts, was Lower Level Shop 37 in Morning Glen Mall
– beef and game biltong, nuts, sweets.
- Mille Salon was in Rivonia Boulevard 329 in Rivonia Area Shops – Hair and beauty studio, largely ethnic.
- Debonairs Pizza was in Rivonia Boulevard 329.in Rivonia Area Shops
– Pizza to eat in, take out, or have delivered.
- With Love…, Shop L09 in Morningside Shopping Centre – Gifts, candles, kitchen things.
- Dial-a-Video, Shop L12 in Morningside Shopping Centre – Videos and DVDs.
Now closed every day of the year.
- iYo, Shop L21 kiosk in Morningside Shopping Centre – Frozen Yoghurt. Opened July 2013 under the escalators.
- Attirance, in Cottage Flowers & Gifts, Shop L22 in Morningside Shopping Centre
– natural cosmetics, bath and body oils, fragrances.
- Precioux, Shop U11 in Morningside Shopping Centre – Designer fashions
for girls ages 2-16 yrs and mums. Jewellery and accessories.
- BECCA, Shop U16 in Morningside Shopping Centre – Cosmetics, make-overs,
bridal and special events make-up.
- Frankie & Delilah, Shop U27 in Morningside Shopping Centre – Ladies' fashion boutique, hand-made jewellery, necklaces.
- Scarab, Shop U32 in Morningside Shopping Centre
– Jewellery Design Studio.
- Body Action, Shop U33 in Morningside Shopping Centre – casual everyday unisex clothing modelled on sports gear.
- Midori Sushi, Shop U51 in Morningside Shopping Centre – Oriental Cuisine: Asian, Tai, Chinese, Japanese.
- Tsunami Seafood Emporium, Shop U51 in Morningside Shopping Centre
– Fish restaurant: seafood, sushi and teppanyaki.
Wanted: Dynamic Software Tele-Salesperson!
–the popular and easy Accounting Package– and the Autodesk range
of products – AutoCAD and the Suites, the world's most popular and
versatile engineering, architectural and artistic design software.
Basic salary, generous commission, and the prospect of growing with the company.
e-mail us your CV.
Had a row about it?
Julius pulled a muscle and has given up rowing. He now says it is "oarful".
No more singing in the shower, please! We are entering a drought and
have been asked to save water. Set a timer and see if you can shower more
quickly. If you bath, share it with somebody nice.
Elon Musk's Tesla electric car company is slow in getting to Africa, although they
have a presence across North America and Western Europe, eastern China and
Japan, and even in eastern Australia. We are looking at importing some of
their amazing vehicles to South Africa: would you be interested? (e-mail us) Hint: You will
need lots of money.
On November 30th, world leaders will walk into the negotiating halls in Paris
to discuss prospects for a global climate deal. 360.org is mobilizing to
persuade them to sit down to talk with a clear demand from the people ringing in
Add your name to the petition to world leaders calling for keeping 80% of fossil fuels underground and building a just transition to
renewable energy by 2050.
Click here to join Global Climate March actions across the world.
Following hard on the heels of so-called Ecomobility month, the 19th annual Momentum 94.7 Cycle
Challenge takes place on Sunday, 15 November 2015. This is the second-largest mass participation cycling event in the world, with approximately 34,000 cyclists
clogging the streets of greater Johannesburg. As a result, various roads throughout
the city will be closed from 04:30
There is a TomTom interactive map on
the Cycle Challenge website that is designed to assist residents and
motorists to avoid the road closures.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R133/month
6523 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
Overheard at the Checkout last November around Guy Fawkes – or was it Diwali?
"My neighbour is so inconsiderate.
He came banging on my gate after ten o'clock last night!"
"He woke you up?"
"Fortunately not – by a stroke of luck, I was letting off my fireworks at the time."