Restaurant Review ~
Civic Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Mon & Thu above Car Service City,
off Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Northern Sandton.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli on Top Centre
Dreading that Wedding Speech?
Yes, you too can Speak in Public!
Learn to speak in a
relaxed, fun environment. Meet at 18:45 2nd and 4th Monday of each month
at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, withh Transformers Toastmasters.
Call Judith Taylor on 082 389 3481 or
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston::
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton:
Grayston Shopping Centre
Atholl Square Shopping Centre
Sandhurst Centre, Rivonia Rd
Shopping in and around Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Almost all of us will one day need a blood transfusion
– Yet only 1% of people donate blood!
Make a difference to society! Donate at
Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Avenues, Craighall. Phone:
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
We are open 7 days a week and offer “Fresh Haircuts”! We also have other value-added services and specials. Please call 011 803 5015
for more information. We are down in the lower level in the main block down the escalators. Plenty of parking in the
Basement in Sunninghill Village.
For more, email Fay.
OUTA Reports Back
The latest supporters newsletter from OUTA, the Organisation
Undoing Tax Abuse, focuses on
state capture and Eskom, including:
A Note from Chairman Wayne Duvenage: Every month at OUTA, the levels of energy appear
to reach new heights, as we break new ground with positive achievements changing South Africa's
future. Civil society is making huge strides...
The state capture gang are on the run: South Africa is turning against
state capture, as business leaders take a stand against the corrupt and OUTA
wins an order freezing key Gupta funds...
Eskom price application: help OUTA stop this: "We ask our supporters to send NERSA their comments on
Eskom's application, attend the hearings to oppose it and, if you can't get into the hearings,
protest outside the venues at the public hearings," says Ted Blom, OUTA's
Portfolio Director for Energy.
20% increase is even higher for you and risks 137 000 jobs: If
Eskom's price application is approved, your electricity bill will rocket way
more than 20% and hundreds of thousands of jobs may be lost. Eskom's
proposed increase to municipalities is 27.5%....
Those e-toll SMSes keep coming: OUTA's supporters are still reporting getting text
messages about unpaid e-toll bills from debt collectors. You'll find OUTA's
advice about the e-tolls and the debt collectors here...
Contributing supporters of OUTA will fall under the "E-Toll Defence Umbrella", which means that OUTA will fight your case if you are prosecuted for
non-payment of e-tolls. More here about becoming a supporter.
"Never be hasty to find faults", was a favourite
saying of my late father --a wonderful companion, but a poor geologist.
Furnished Room to Let in Morningside Manor
This content is outdated.
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- Bookdealers of Rivonia (formerly Gallo Manor) moved from Morning Glen Mall and reopened on 9 October at 40 Wessel Road, Rivonia, off 12th Ave (listed in Rivonia North Shops): Book shop: Large variety of publishers' overstocks (remainders), extensive and interesting selection of rare and out-of-print, and second-hand books.
- Wingate Computers has moved from the Ground level to 1st Floor in Rivonia Village – Computer sales and repairs. Computers, Games, Hardware, Software, Keyboards, Mouse (mice), Anti-virus, Laptops, networking.
- Minuteman Press has moved from the Ground level to 1st Floor in Rivonia Village
– Printers. Full service printing & copy centre, Brochures, Letterheads,
Business cards, Rubber Stamps, Graphics designs.
- Le Creuset, Shop G01, F: Main Square in Hobart Grove Centre – Cookware. Trading Hours Monday-Saturday 09:00-18:00, Sundays & Public Holidays 10:00-15:00. Not open yet, opening date not set yet.
- Master Maths (Suite 2), 1st Floor in Rivonia Village – Professional mathematics tuition for grades 4 to 12. Fully bilingual / volledig tweetalig.
- Dr Saskia Schwabe, DBS (Wits) (Suite 6), 1st Floor in Rivonia Village – Rivonia Family Dentists. General Dentistry, Teeth whitening, Paediatric Dentistry, Cosmetic Dentistry. Open mall hours.
- Gauteng A-Z Locksmith, Teasers Centre in Rivonia Area Shops – Key cutting, sale and programming of remote controls, opening cars, houses, safes. Locks, ignitions, door locks, boot locks. 344 Rivonia Boulevard (Teasers Centre, on the parking lot).
- Lostland Escape Room, Shop 11, Rivonia Centre, 369 Rivonia Boulevard in Rivonia North Shops – Physical adventure games see players locked in a room to solve puzzles to free themselves, while racing a time-limit of 60 minutes. Lostland requires logical thinking, with physical and intellectual aspects. Ideal for team building or a family adventure! Open every day (including public holidays) 09:30–21:30.
- Monkey Bluz Restaurant and Cocktail Bar, Shop 7, Rivonia Corner, 362 Rivonia Boulevard in Rivonia North Shops – On Rivonia Boulevard, next to the Friendly Supermarket corner 11th Avenue. Up-market restaurant and bar, replacing Rocket Restaurant.
- Seattle Coffee Company, Euro Centre, 363 Rivonia Boulevard in Rivonia North Shops – Coffee, tea, and beverages of all kinds. Muffins, tarts, other snacks.
- Spice Kitchen, Shop G10, Ground in Rivonia Junction – Bunny Chow, curry and rice, burgers, samoosas, curry wraps, roti, hand-cut chips (plain or masala). Catering and large orders. Order via UberEats or OrderIn.
Get a FREE Loyalty Card that Gives you up to 5% Cash Back!
Up to 5% of your spend back when shopping at selected merchants, plus one to 15 Shopping Points
per R1000, to use on special offers. The card is honoured in 47 countries and powered by Lyoness, the global shopping community. To get one
click here and send the resulting email (or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Lyoness Cashback Card" in the Subject).
We will reply with your personalised invitation to apply on-line.
Restaurant Review by Judith Back to top
***** Polpetta, 90 Degrees on Rivonia, Rivonia Road cor Kelvin Drive
I'm sure we go here too often because of the great food and service! Their
fruit cocktail was pronounced good and their house Chardonnay went down well.
This time I choose Mussels - they were plump and tasty. The hake was also
Patience was our attentive waitress. Great atmosphere and the manager is always on hand to follow up.
Contact Details for Polpetta Pizza & Pasta.
***** The Hussar Grill, Morningside Shopping Centre
We were feeling in celebratory mode after some really great orders came
through so this was a real treat! This chain of restaurants started in Cape
Town in 1964 and has slowly spread its wings around the country! Fannie, our waiter, told us this.
Drinks were Appletizer and Laborie Chenin Banc plus a single espresso much
later! Food was a rump steak with spinach, done blu as requested, and a Hussar
Burger. What a joy to have perfectly prepared food, real table linen and great
service. Definitely a "grown-up" restaurant for special occasions, with prices to match.
Contact Details for The Hussar Grill.
Funny Language, English...
Adolescence: The period of life between puberty and adultery.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R380/month!!
6,117 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
- Browns Restaurant in Rivonia Area Shops – Moved from Edenburg Terraces, 21 Wessels Road (southwest corner of 10th Avenue) Rivonia, to 31 Mulbarton Road, Lonehill. New phone: 060 946 9975.
- The Bike Basement, Shop 10 in Rivonia Crossing 2 – a showroom of quality global cycling brands. Workshop offering pre- and post-race service, major/minor service – MTB/Road, bike builds, tubeless conversion, wheel builds, wheel truing. Was Building B.
- Rivonia 24-hour Locksmith in Rivonia Area Shops – Rivonia Boulevard (Teasers Centre, on the parking lot): Taken over by Gauteng A-Z Locksmith.
- Taiwan Café in Rivonia Area Shops – Chinese food: Rice dishes, soups, noodle dishes, Taiwan street food. Open daily 11:00-15:00 and 16:00-20:00. Closing on 15 October 2017. Was 329 Rivonia Boulevard.
- Dr Akabor (Suite 6) in Rivonia Village – Dentist. General Dentistry, Teeth whitening, Paediatric Dentistry, Cosmetic Dentistry.
- Ultimately, Block 2 in Rivonia Oriental City – Recruitment Agency.
- Love Fashion Boutique, Shop FF15 in Rivonia Oriental City – Evening wear.
- The Sweet Fountain in Rivonia North Shops – Cool drinks, snacks, chips, cigarettes, popcorn, Lotto.
- All About Fish, Shop 3 in Rivonia North Shops – Your local fresh fish and seafood shop, with a small restaurant section (eat in or take away). Corner Rivonia Boulevard and Eleventh Avenue.
Get Your Own Web Page for only R570/month!
A web page
on the longstanding and trusted Megaplex website will give your
business extra weight with Google! Quickly increase your web presence! Minimum commitment only 3 months. e-mail us, or
Whining and Dining
Julius was still at the restaurant having trouble
with his soup:
"Waiter, this spoon doesn't work!"
"Sir, what is wrong?"
"The soup just runs out!"
"Here, sir: Turn it over."
Civic: The new David and Goliath story (with an even
The on-line petition and activist site with over 45 million members,
Avaaz, writes: "It's
unbelievable -- we're beating the biggest Goliaths of our time, forces no
one thought it was possible to take down! In just the last weeks we helped with:
a court order stopping Donald Trump from destroying internet privacy
a UN investigation into the atrocities in Yemen despite vicious Saudi Arabian opposition
a major government review of climate-change denier Rupert Murdoch's bid to dominate UK media
$1.6 million for Rohingya rescue and relief
pushing back the far-right in Germany
kicking misogyny out of the EU parliament
- a u-turn on Brazil's corrupt President's plan to destroy a swath of Amazon forest the size of Denmark!
"These are fights no one thought were winnable. More than once they told us not to try, that the people in charge were too big
and powerful. And yet...we've done it! Our movement is writing a new David and Goliath story -- one where millions of
Davids, armed with our faith in the power of people's voices, change the course
of history one campaign at a time..."
Free Webinar: How Does POPI Apply to Your Business?
The second most common question small business guru Peter Carruthers fields
regarding the POPI (Protection of Personal Information) Act is "How does this apply to
me?". This is usually asked by freelancers and one-person businesses.
The bottom line is that small players are far more likely to lose personal
information than our corporate peers. Big firms have solid computer systems and
robust manual procedures to make sure that their staff play nicely. For
- They have structures to prevent staff from dumping personal data onto a
USB memory stick. Most of us smaller folk are too trusting to enforce that,
but we shouldn't be.
- Their backups are locked in safes or vaults. Ours are typically kept in a
drawer in our desk.
- They have IT departments monitoring password quality to protect from hackers.
Most of us use just one password for every login we do.
This Act aims to make sure that if we keep personal information
(about prospects, clients, suppliers, and staff) then we must have some
semblance of protection in place.
You can sign up for free training on POPI starting any Tuesday.
This is the same training you can get from any of the many training
providers. Except that this is free, while theirs starts at R1500 and
heads up to R25,000. That's because he is leveraging the Internet rather
than dealing with the costs and risks of hiring a physical venue.
On Tuesday, 17 October, at 8 PM. It's free:
Click here to join Peter online. Please share this with any business
owners you know. This is vital info which is not reaching enough of us.
Overheard at the Checkout
"How are you finding
"Strange. For example, all ze dogs are named 'Voertsek', but vhen you
call zhem, zey run away!”