Restaurant Review ~
Civic Tip ~
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Northern Sandton.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli on Top Centre
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston::
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
Speak Well –
Learn public speaking
in a relaxed, fun environment at Accenture Toastmasters: Meet
2 May (club contest) and 16 May at
18:15 for 18:30 at Accenture, Waterfall
Call Rick on 082 389 3482 or
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton::
Grayston Shopping Centre
Atholl Square Shopping Centre
Sandhurst Centre, Rivonia Rd
Shopping in and around Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Almost all of us will one day need a blood transfusion
– Yet only 1% of people donate blood!
Make a difference to society! Donate at
Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Avenues, Craighall. Phone:
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Rivonia Restaurant reviews
Sandton Restaurant reviews
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
Furnished Single Room to
Let Now in Morningside
Cosy bedroom with private
half bathroom (shower, basin, toilet). Carpeted, fully furnished and
serviced. Shared kitchen, lounge, patio, garden and cats. Secure
parking. Close to shops and bus routes. Ideal for student,
newly-employed, or recently separated. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail
As can be seen in our list of closed
businesses below, Standard Bank is closing its branches apace. The latest,
closing end April (and already reduced to skeleton staff), is the Rivonia branch
in Rivonia Village.
All accounts are apparently being moved to Woodmead, irrespective of whether
Sunninghill would be more convenient –probably Sunninghill will be next!
The branch in Bryanston Shopping Centre
closed a while ago.
There also seems to have been something of a bloodbath amongst the
restaurants: We list four that have closed recently. With the economy suffering
from business-hostile government policies, it is hardly surprising that
hard-pressed citizens reduce their eating-out.
Election Day is next week, on Wednesday 8 May. What are your choices?
The ANC pioneered state capture with its deliberate policy of "cadre
deployment", and brought the looting of the public purse and the destruction of
state institutions to full fruition under President Jacob Zuma. Although
he has retired, dozens of his corrupt henchmen (and -women) are on the ANC
lists for Parliament and Provinces. To vote for such a party is to endorse
all that has gone wrong in South Africa over the last 25 years, and encourage
"a looter continua". Do you want this?
The ironically-named Economic Freedom Fighters (none of whom have any
qualifications in economics), is lead by a firebrand with a quasi-military title.
take the failed state of Zimbabwe as their economic model and encourage lawlessness in Parliament
and the rest of the country. If they were to win power, the population
would starve while party leaders holiday on fallow land.
Patricia de Lille's new party is notable in that its leader settled, not for
Exceptional, not for Outstanding, but merely for "Good". Surely we can do
Despite a few blunders, the Democratic Alliance is the only party with a track record of good governance:
Both in the Western Cape, and in South
Africa’s biggest cities. The DA has solid principles and an economic agenda
that works elsewhere in Africa and the World. A vote for the DA is a vote
against corruption. It's a vote for change, an honest and professional
civil service, to grow our economy, and preserve your constitutional rights.
If we keep doing what we've always done, we will keep getting what we've
Optometrist: "How far can you see clearly?"
Patient: "Well, when I get up in the morning I can see the sun, and they tell me
it is 150 million kilometres away."
Free Spreadsheets from Software Africa!
spreadsheets will be e-mailed to you by auto-responder on request.
To use them you need Microsoft Excel (instructions included, but no
batteries): Bank Account Reconciliation, Fuel Consumption Record,
Rainfall Record, Water Meter Readings, Electricity Meter Readings,
Mattress Turning Schedule, John Demartini Savings Calculator, and
Quotation System with Bill of Materials:
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- Red Square has become Edgars Beauty, Shop GF32, Ground in Rivonia Village – Beauty and Fragrances, Cosmetics. Open mall hours.
- Red Square has become Edgars Beauty, Shop U23a, Upper Level in Morningside Shopping Centre – Health & Beauty: Facials, makeovers, cosmetics.
- Cycle Gallery, Shop C06/C07, C: Hobart Road in Hobart Grove Centre – Bicycle Store. Premium bicycle brands and clothes with a focus on the Cannondale and GT brands.
- Coppa Patisserie, Shop GF44, Ground in Rivonia Village right of Woolworths – Opening soon. Pastries and cakes (naked and decorated). Catering.
- Embassy Marketing Agency, First Floor in Bryanston Shopping Centre – one-stop marketing machine; with top industry talent in PR, digital, web, creative and even print. Proudly African.
- The Diet Clinic, Shop 236, Second Floor in Bryanpark Shopping Centre.
- Tammy Taylor Nails, Shop 13, Ground in Grosvenor Crossing – Nail Salon. Open soon.
- Drifters Adventure Centre, Shop 17, Ground in Grosvenor Crossing – Africa’s Largest Adventure Gear Retailer (Outdoor, Climbing and Mountaineering) - opening soon.
Get a FREE Loyalty Card that Gives you up to 5% Cash Back!
Up to 5% of your spend back when shopping at selected merchants, plus one to 15 Shopping Points
per R1000, to use on special offers. The card is honoured in 47 countries and powered by Lyoness, the global shopping community. To get one
click here and send the resulting email (or send an email to email@example.com with "Lyoness Cashback Card" in the Subject).
We will reply with your personalised invitation to apply on-line.
Restaurant Reviews by Judith Back to top
***** Manto’s Café, Morningview Shopping Centre
Drinks here were Strawberry Juice (and they do juice their own strawberries!) and Douglas Green Sauvignon Blanc. To eat, I had Smashed Avocado on Rye toast and my partner a toasted Cheese and Tomato sandwich. Simangele is a great waitress. They also serve mean coffee!
Contact Details for Manto’s Café. Back to top
** Roasting Jacks, The Wedge, Morningside
Stars for Unam's great service and beautiful smile, as the rest of the experience was very disappointing. The
"fresh squeezed juice" arrived in a bottle. Despite implying they sold wine, they didn't, so we went a bought a bottle at Spar Tops. Ice container was great. We ordered two quarter chickens and their salad. I asked for no mayo, but my salad arrived with some and was a sorry mess when it came without dressing. The chicken portions were a good size, but mine tasted sweet and sticky.
Contact Details for Roasting Jacks. Back to top
Funny Language, English...
We just bought a
replacement grill element for our Berda "TV Grill"... "now let's talk about the
element in the room..."
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R192/month*!
5,950 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
(*Non-top banner for one year paid in advance, includes VAT,
- Delhi Dharbar Restaurant, Shop C06/C07 in Hobart Grove Centre – "Exquisite Indian food, made by authentic North-Indian chefs in a real Tandoori Oven" (it must have been terribly hot and cramped for them in there).
- Nino's in Rivonia Village – Italian Restaurant. Coffees, Breakfast, Pastas, Wraps, Pizza, Light meals, Speciality dishes, Tramezzini, speciality sandwiches, cakes.
- Pizza Luna, and Luna Deli, Shop GF10 in Rivonia Village – Italian Restaurant specialising in authentic Italian Pizza and Pasta. Local and imported meats and cheeses, salads, panini, pastries.
- Standard Bank Rivonia in Rivonia Village – Was up the escalator above Woolworths, 1st Floor.
- Standard Bank Bryanston Service Centre, Shop 102 in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Bank. Was First Floor (ATM is still downstairs).
- Sure Lloyds Travel, Shop 101 in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Travel Agency.
- Pinkispade Studio (Suite 119) in Bryanpark Shopping Centre – Was First Floor.
- Rush South Africa (Suite 119A) in Bryanpark Shopping Centre – Was First Floor.
- JMW Project Management (Suite 129) in Bryanpark Shopping Centre – Was First Floor.
- Godfirst Church (Suite 208) in Bryanpark Shopping Centre seems to have come last – Was Second Floor.
- Cartyé, Shop 13 in Grosvenor Crossing – Sunbed and Tan Can. Variety of South African products.
- Arena Wellness, Shop 15 in Grosvenor Crossing – Exercise gym and juice bar: Boutique fitness hub with quality service, expert coaching and the latest equipment.
- Metro Restaurant, Shop 17 in Grosvenor Crossing – "A glamorous bistro, bar and ultra lounge for Johannesburg’s young, influential elite".
Get Your Own Web Page for only R570/month!
A web page
on the longstanding and trusted Megaplex website will give your
business extra weight with Google! Quickly increase your web presence! Minimum commitment only 3 months. e-mail us, or
Not Really Stellar
Julius says that this election will mark a Stella
achievement for his party. Now if we can only find out who "Stella" was,
With Eskom load shedding likely to
resume directly after the election, the information
below from Johannesburg Ward 117's
Councillor Tim Truluck seems particularly timely:
I am now receiving a steady trickle of complaints about generators causing
noise and air pollution issues to neighbours in residential areas. So I asked
our Environmental Health Inspectors to provide some guidelines (along with some
There is no measureable noise threshold for a generator. If your generator is
disturbing a neighbour, then it’s a problem. You need to do some or all of the
following things if you want to continue using it:
- Think about getting an inverter instead - I use a plug and play one from
Maiden Electronics that powers my fibre, charges devices and can run a printer
for about a day.
- Buy a generator that is rated for residential use. It will be quieter when it is running.
- Soundproof it. You can buy a cover (like swimming pool pump covers) or put it in an outbuilding which you can soundproof.
- Move it away from the neighbour who is complaining.
If your neighbour is not complying, you can report them to Environmental
There are no defined operating times. But again, use your discretion and try to be considerate of your neighbours.
Exhaust fumes must not waft into your neighbour’s open windows or garden. If
this is happening, then you will need to install a vent that will take the fumes
up high so that they will not cause a nuisance to your neighbours.
Also, make sure that you don’t run the generator in an enclosed space,
especially inside a room. There are many cases of families dying from carbon-monoxide poisoning.
Storage of Fuel
Fuel needs to be stored in a secure jerry can. Check with your insurance company
as to what their requirements are and how many litres you can store. Also be
careful when you refuel.
Connecting to Your Electricity System
Make sure that if you have connected into your household electricity system,
it is done by a qualified electrician and that there is a changeover
isolator switch to prevent damage when municipal power is restored.
It is easy to find out who has a generator – just take a walk or drive around a
neighbourhood during load shedding. These properties are now being targeted by
thieves, as usually the generator is left outside or in an unlocked room or
garage. Please lock them away or secure them.
Overheard at the Checkout
you're a woman..."
"In that case, stop matronising me!"