Civic Tip ~
Need a Plumber?
Call Doctor Pipes!
Also waterproofing and
small building alterations.
supervision of Mark Michalow
SMS, WhatsApp or phone
082 412 5152
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Northern Sandton.
Accommodation in Rivonia
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli on Top Centre
Would You Rather be in the
You will have to speak in public one day! Prepare
in a relaxed, fun environment at Mariswe Toastmasters: Online on
Tue 8 & 22 February
at 18:00. Call or message Rick on 082 389 3482 or
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston::
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
Woodlands Office Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
Atheists & Humanists online:
The South African Secular Society (SASS) holds
monthly social & educational Meetups
online during Covid-19. Visit us
and chat on the Telegram App.
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton::
Grayston Shopping Centre
Atholl Square Shopping Centre
Sandhurst Centre, Rivonia Rd
Shopping in and around Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Make a difference to others!
Lockdown does not
stop people needing blood.
Design and Décor Centre (near Molly Malones), Forest Road and Sunset Ave, Pineslopes, Sandton: Tel 011 465 6441
Accommodation & Restaurants:
Accommodation in Rivonia,
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Rivonia Restaurant reviews,
Sandton Restaurant reviews,
Morningside Restaurant reviews.
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop.
New on the Megaplex Website
After a lot of work, we have added a new page, Accommodation in Rivonia.
This is a pretty exhaustive list of the places to stay in Rivonia. If you
know of others, particularly yours, please reply to the newsletter and let us
You can book many of the establishments listed there
Booking.com. This is often quicker and easier than doing it directly.
Also, booking.com offers many alternatives at various prices. We get a small
cut if you book via our "Book Here" links.
Get Counted in February!
The national census, a once-in-a decade event, is taking place in February
and March. A census is valuable to the country. It allows government and
commerce to understand what is going on, and how to allocate
resources. Hence helping with the census is an important civic duty.
I went to register our household for online or telephonic data collection at
Their statement "All households are required to register" got me
irritated at the start. I pressed
on nevertheless. When I had tried a few weeks ago, I couldn't get past the first
drop-down list. It had no choices and refused to budge without my making a
selection. The process is now working better, if haltingly. Several times
it failed to save, but then saved on the second try.
We have a choice of self-enumeration online (which I chose), or assisted
enumeration by telephone or face-to face. Then they ask about the structure
you live in (probably stand-alone house or block of flats for most of us) , its
type, the main use and the description of how it looks. This got messy:
They wanted details of other dwellings on the property (like staff quarters) but
on review seemed to have made that the main dwelling. I couldn't
the review because I got to a screen that did not allow editing, but would not
proceed without it.
My initial registration took under 15 minutes. Go
do likewise, but don't be surprised if the system still has bugs.
For Conspiracy Theorists: Back to top
Why is it the "National Institute for Communicable
Diseases" and not the "National Institute Against Communicable Diseases"?
Use Excel? Making Mistakes is Easy!
Finding errors is hard! But they can
kill your company! In 2012, a London Olympics employee accidentally
typed in “20,000” instead of “10,000". The Olympic Committee
then sold 10,000 tickets for non-existent seats at minor events. They had to upgrade them to major events
—at a loss.
Get this FREE report on preventing Excel mistakes..
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- Rivonia Bed & Breakfast has become Rivonia Premier Lodge, in Accommodation in Rivonia – Award-winning Guest House. Elegant, country-style accommodation. Business Centre. 3 River Road, off 11th Avenue.
- Melleneys Exclusive Guest House has become Hudsons On Twelfth, Rivonia 12th Ave in Rivonia North Shops – Full Service Guest House, Bed & Breakfast, recovery/recuperation residence: 8 Rooms, Wellness, Free Wi-Fi, Full Breakfast Included. At 149 Twelfth Avenue, Rivonia.
- Luca's Ristorante Italiano has moved from Building A, Rivonia Crossing 2 to 6 Gwen Lane, Sandown. Pizza, pasta, fish, meat, desserts. Fully Licensed.
- Silverwood Manor was a Luxury 5 star guest house and conference venue at 113 Mount Street, Bryanston. Now Livewell Bryanston, a specialised dementia and Alzheimer’s care facility.
- Aldeia Restaurant, Shop F3, Upper Level in Rivonia Junction – Portuguese-style Seafood Mediterranean Restaurant. Bookings are essential. On Facebook and Instagram.
- The Daily Coffee Café The Wedge, Shop 05, Upper Level in The Wedge, Morningside – Coffee shop franchise, South African with an international flair.
- Saffron Restaurant, Shop G03, Ground in Rivonia Junction – Persian cuisine: Ghormeh Sabzi, Gheymeh, Fesenjan, Zereshk Polo ba Morgh, Koobideh, Joojeh Kebab, Chelow Kebab, Bakhtiari Kebab, Shishlik, Baghali Polow (Lamb neck or Chicken).
- Thyme 2 Meat, Shop F2, Upper Level in Rivonia Junction – "The food emporium", with a sit-down section. Restaurant, coffee shop, artisanal bakery, Halaal butchery. Spices, lentils, grains, lamb, chicken, sauces, pickles, snacks. Delivery in Johannesburg area.
- Zwelakho Furnished Apartments, The Cube, Central in in Accommodation in Rivonia – The Cube, 11 9th Avenue corner De La Rey Ave, Rivonia. One-Bedroom Apartment.
- The Haystack on Homestead, Central in Accommodation in Rivonia – 13 Homestead Road, Off 7th Avenue, Off Rivonia Road, Rivonia.
- Muco Guest House, Central in Accommodation in Rivonia – 3 6th Avenue, Rivonia. Rates include breakfast, free WIFI, fridge or mini-bar, small office with internet ADSL backup wifi, full DSTV, main garden and swimming pool.
- Dunton Guest House, Central in Accommodation in Rivonia – 4 Dunton Road, Rivonia.
- Rivonia Guest House, Central in Accommodation in Rivonia – 47 Stiglingh Road, Rivonia.
- Bella b’s, Rivonia 12th Ave in Accommodation in Rivonia – 45 B Bevan Road Rivonia.
- Registered Dietitian, Ground in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – Get your body in shape with the correct diet for you.
- Massage Therapist, Ground in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre.
- Browtique, First Floor Lower in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – 6D Microblading. Lash Lift. Henna Brows. Lashes.
- Plasma Tech Centre, First Floor Upper in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – Theraphi Plasma Healing. Reduce stress and realise deep calm. Reduce pain and inflammation.
- Thermology / IV Drip Therapy, First Floor Upper in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – Breast cancer screening using heat sensing, not X-Rays. Weight Loss, Breast Health, Health Transformation Program, Corporate Wellness, Health & Wellness Assessment, Bio-identical Hormone Balancing.
- ICT Integrators, Shop 10B, Ground in Petervale Shopping Centre.
Furnished Morningside Rooms to Let 1 April & 1 May
Self-catering single bedrooms with shared bathroom, kitchen etc., in house in Morningside
Manor. Wi-Fi. Carpeted, fully furnished and serviced including
laundry. Light during load-shedding. Ideal for student or single person. Close to shops and bus routes. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail
us, or click here.
"Last night I dreamt of / I fell in love with ...
Plumbago" (really "...San Pedro" –song: La Isla Bonita. Well, at least Plumbago
CBD May Inhibit COVID-19
From Tim Ferriss:
"Cannabidiol Inhibits SARS-CoV-2 Replication and Promotes the Host
Innate Immune Response". From the abstract:
“Here we report that cannabidiol (CBD), a compound produced by the cannabis
plant, inhibits SARS-CoV-2 infection. CBD and its metabolite, 7-OH-CBD, but not
congeneric cannabinoids, potently block SARS-CoV-2 replication in lung
epithelial cells. CBD acts after cellular infection, inhibiting viral gene
expression and reversing many effects of SARS-CoV-2 on host gene transcription.”
Note: This article is a preprint and is 10 months old. Preprints have not been
Interesting African Customs
It is polite to sit immediately in the presence of
your seated seniors, without being asked. It is rude to stay standing because
you will literally "look down on them".
Do You keep Repeating the Same Actions in Excel?
Stop wasting precious time! Save an hour
or more a week: Get your life back. How? Learn simple Macros:
Record the repetitive action once, repeat it fast with a single
keystroke whenever needed! This quick course will get you started fast:
Read more here.
- Asanka Afrika Cuisine, Shop F2 in Rivonia Junction – Fine-dining, blending western food and prominent African influences from Morocco, Egypt, Madagascar, Mauritius, and beyond. Was Upper Level.
- Saravanaa Bhavan, Shop F3 in Rivonia Junction – Indian Vegetarian Restaurant chain. Was Upper Level, up the staircase on the right.
- bbq Workshop, Shop G01 in Rivonia Village – Restaurant with wood-fired oven: Pita, souvlakia, grills, ribs, chops, salads to your specification.
- H2O International Sandton Water, Shop G03 in Rivonia Junction – Supplier of water, water purifiers, borehole purification and coolers.
- Mguchi Cottage in Accommodation in Rivonia – a secluded garden cottage in the heart of Rivonia’s secure Rivonia Valley Estate. Offering the option of self-catering or Bed and Breakfast.
- Seven Point Five in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – Sevenpointfive espouses a philosophy of systemic balance through the cleansing and nourishing of your body to heal itself naturally by dealing with the root cause.
- Healthy Nutrition Dietitian Services in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – For weight loss/gain & management, diabetes & insulin resistance, high cholesterol & high blood pressure, sports nutrition, IBO/IBS, nutrition during pregnancy & lactation, thyroid disorders.
- Chronic Disease Management & Alternative Medicine in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – Chronic Disease Self-Management via Complimentary Alternative Medicine, Western Medicine and Behavioural Science to get the body in balance. Functional Diagnostic Medicine and Disease Specific Nutrition.
- Clinical Psychologist in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – Adult individual psychotherapy, IMAGO relationship / couples therapy, individuation, unresolved emotional issues, depression, anxiety, stress, trauma, loss and bereavement, divorce & relationship difficulties, eating disorders and weight issues, burnout, self-worth, self-esteem and assertiveness, midlife.
- Counselling Psychologist in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – Registered Counselling Psychologist for adults, young adults, and couples.
- Hugo Aesthetics in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – Cosmetic Procedures: Botox, Dermal Fillers, Chemical Peels, PDO Threads, Weight Loss Injections & program.
- Totally Me: Intimacy & Relationship Coach in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – Helping individuals & couples “find each other”, taking relationships to a deeper level of intimacy. Individual and/or Couple Coaching, Workshops for Women, Workshops for Men.
- Energy Healing with Reflexology in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – Entails Reiki and Chakra Balancing combined with Therapeutic Foot Massage.
- Drama Therapist in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – MA Psych Drama. Creative Communications, Drama Therapist, Family and Organisational Systems Constellations, Trainer and Facilitator.
- Beautiful Movement in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – Certified Stott Pilates instructor, IndiYoga Certified instructor, Aerial Yoga Certified instructor.
- MQ Kinetic Therapy in in Naturally Yours Wellness Centre – Posture correction, back/neck pain relief, functional fitness, sports conditioning, body shaping/toning, core strength & balance, flexibility, posture awareness, posture improvement, Pilates rehab.
- Rawson Properties in Morning Glen Mall – Real Estate sales and rentals. Lower Level to the right of Pick 'n Pay.
Gratis Spreadsheets from Software Africa!
download these spreadsheets on request.
To use them you need Microsoft Excel (instructions included, but no
batteries): Toastmasters Speech Contest Certificates, Vehicle Licence form, Bank Reconciliation, Fuel Consumption Record,
Rainfall Record, Water Meter Readings, Electricity Meter Readings,
Mattress Turning Schedule, John Demartini Savings Calculator, and
Quotation System with Bill of Materials:
Thought for the Week:
"The fruit and veg department is fully papaya
Small Business Not POPIA Compliant? Master it while
The Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA, or the POPI Act)
officially went live on 1 July 2021.
That made it mandatory for every business in SA (no matter how
tiny), to register an Information Officer. The
Registration of Information Officers Portal
had failed a bit earlier. Seven months later, it is still not functional,
bearing the proud banner:
REGISTRATION OF INFORMATION OFFICERS PORTAL
Please note we are
experiencing technical issues with the Portal, which results in it not
being accessible at the moment. Our technicians are working on it. The
Portal will be accessible as soon as these issues are resolved. We
apologise for the inconvenience caused.
There are vindictive penalties for non-compliance –fines up to R10M and jail
time up to 10 years. Yet the agency tasked with the job has made it
impossible to comply for over half a year. This is mind-boggling incompetence, even for an already
dysfunctional government. Adv Pansy Tlakula (the Chairperson) was good at
the IEC. but has messed up royally here. Look out for her resignation...
One day they may get their act together. In the meanwhile you
might as well get ready.
Know what's involved so that you can protect yourself and your company: Take the
FREE Online POPI Act Training for Small Business Owners. It's self-paced so
you can do it at any time. Share this with anyone who has a business.
POPIA is Live!
You are still subject to The Protection of Personal Information Act.
The good news? Your needs are simpler than those of a big business.
No need for fancy lawyers or highly-paid consultants. If you know what
to do. How will you learn that?
Invest in this POPIA course at the best price ever.
Near the Checkout
"These sheets I bought here last week are too
short! They're about three-quarters of the right length for my bed..."
"Ah, yes! You bought them on our 'After-Christmas Genuine 25%-Off
Sale', didn't you?"