Civic Tip ~
Need a Plumber?
Call Doctor Pipes!
Also waterproofing and
small building alterations.
supervision of Mark Michalow
SMS, WhatsApp or phone
082 412 5152
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Northern Sandton.
Accommodation in Rivonia
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli on Top Centre
Public can be Easy & Fun!
Morningside Toastmasters meets 2nd & 4th Thursday of the month, 17:45 for
18:00 17:45 in person at the Morningside Country Club. Next: Thu 12
& 26 October. Call or message Rick on 082 389 3482 or
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
Woodlands Office Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
Meet other Humanists & Atheists online:
The South African Secular Society (SASS) holds
social & educational Meetups
online monthly, and some in person. Visit us
and chat on the Telegram App.
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton::
Grayston Shopping Centre
Atholl Square Shopping Centre
Sandhurst Centre, Rivonia Rd
Shopping in and around Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Be The Special One in a Hundred!
needs blood, but few people donate.
Design and Décor Centre (near Molly Malones), Forest Road and Sunset Ave, Pineslopes, Sandton: Tel 011 465 6441
Accommodation & Restaurants:
Accommodation in Rivonia,
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Rivonia Restaurant reviews,
Sandton Restaurant reviews,
Morningside Restaurant reviews.
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop.
ANC Road Renaming Demonstrates Desperation
The ANC-EFF-controlled City of Johannesburg must have money to burn. And nothing worthwhile to
spend it on. On Tuesday it renamed William Nicol Drive to “Winnie Mandela
Drive”. They could have done it on Monday. But one can hardly
expect politicians to work on a public holiday. Not when they can cause maximum
traffic disruption on a working day.
And why not rename a highway after Winnie Mandela, that great civil engineer and road builder? –A bridge builder
too, building bridges
with anyone who agreed with her. Who can forget, “with our necklaces and our
boxes of matches we will 'liberate' this country”? And the
murder of Stompie Seipei for which she never accounted?
Not that William Nicol was a saint either...
Unlike Nelson Mandela, after whom much of the country is now
named, Winnie was not one for reconciliation. Not surprising considering how
the Apartheid government treated her. But Nelson managed. That
he divorced her should tell us something. She was controversial. And this renaming
is controversial. Is this a message that the
days of reconciliation are over? That the ANC is battening down the
hatches for the election? Is it calling the faithful into the laager?
(sorry, poor metaphor)
Sadly, the ANC seems incapable of building new infrastructure: take the fiascos
that are Medupi and Kusile. All they can do, is to take existing infrastructure and rename it. No doubt some well-connected cadre will have the tender
for the street name signs.
As Winnie Mandela Drive, will it be better maintained? Unlikely! The
condition of the infrastructure renamed after Beyers Naude, Bram
Fischer, Charlotte Maxeke, Chris Hani and Malibongwe Gcwabe* is no tribute to
Winnie Mandela already has a squalid squatter camp named after her. Isn't that more
appropriate than a highway that still works?
If you disagree, please understand that I am just doing what thousands of
runners, cyclists and motorists will be doing daily from now on:
Running down Winnie Mandela Drive.
(* Not really. Just keeping you on your toes!)
Illegal mining is a problem in South Africa.
Should we ask Ukraine for some demining experts?
Use Excel? Making Mistakes is Easy!
Finding errors is hard! But they can
kill your company! In 2012, a London Olympics employee accidentally
typed in “20,000” instead of “10,000". The Olympic Committee
then sold 10,000 tickets for non-existent seats at minor events. They had to upgrade them to major events
—at a loss.
Get this FREE report on preventing Excel mistakes..
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
This month focuses heavily on Morningview Shopping Centre
on South Road, Morningside. It had been a while since our last visit.
Much has changed, including three new restaurants. This vibrant local centre still has two vacant shops for
the discerning to snap up.
- GP Cellular moved from shop 09A to Shop 05, Ground in Morningview Shopping Centre – Cellphones. Cellphone repairs while you wait. Accessories. Computer repairs and accessories.
- Kurano Sushi Asian Food, Shop 07, Ground in Morningview Shopping Centre – Soup, spring roll, dim sum, sushi, platters, tofu, stir fry, Thai curry, teriyaki, chop suey, chow mein, noodles. Free Wi-Fi.
- Zaika Indian Restaurant, Shop 09, Ground in Morningview Shopping Centre – Indian and Indo-Chinese food. Bunny Chow, roti rolls, chaat, tandoori dishes, curries: vegetable, soya, chicken, lamb, seafood. Rice, biryani. Dessert, beverages, lassi.
- Kodak Image and Print, Shop 08C, Ground in Morningview Shopping Centre – Print, copies, email, photo enlargements, ID/licence/visa photos, canvas and large format; vehicle wrap and magnets; national courier service; stickers of all sizes; framing; business printing.
- Bella Vida Beauty Bar, Shop 09D, Ground in Morningview Shopping Centre – Salon specialising in ethnic hair and beauty. Nails, hair. Lashes. Make-up.
- Trendzz Hair & Beauty, Shop 09B, Ground in Morningview Shopping Centre – Unisex Salon. Ladies', gents' and kid's haircut. Shave, threading, waxing,
colour, roots, facial, head massage, highlights.,.
- Jane-Doe Ink, Shop 09A, Ground in Morningview Shopping Centre – Tattoos and piercings. Painful to get, worse to remove. Permanent makeup, micro
needling, skin peels, microblading, laser tattoo removal.
- The Harv Table, Shop 11/24, Ground in Morningview Shopping Centre – Restaurant, replaced Ocean Basket: Breakfast, Light meals, Starters, Curry Pot, on the Grill, Signature Dishes, African Table.
- Vilai-Lai Thai Massage Gary Avenue, in Morningside Area Shops – Massage & therapy treatments to leave you relaxed and invigorated - Traditional Thai, Aromatherapy, Herbal Compress. Corner of Kelvin Drive & Gary Avenue (entrance), Morningside Manor, Sandton.
- Car Wash @ Wendywood Shopping Centre, Ground in Wendywood Shopping Centre – No details available, but
Furnished Morningside Room to Let 1
Single Room with shared bathroom in house in Morningside
Manor. Wi-Fi. Carpeted, fully furnished and serviced including
laundry. Close to shops and bus routes. R3500/month. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail
us, or click here.
“I can see clearly now, Lorraine is gone”.
“I can see clearly now, the rain is gone” from
Johnny Nash’s ‘I can see clearly now’.
Every time you make a promise you don't intend to keep, every time you break a
promise, you send your subconscious and everyone around you a message that you
are an unreliable person, and cannot be trusted.
Every time you make a promise you know is realistic, and then keep it, you send
your subconscious and those around you a message that you are a worthy, reliable
person, whose word can be trusted.
But Life happens. We cannot always keep our promises. What then?
Every time you cannot keep a promise, and do nothing about it, hoping the other
person didn't notice (hint: they do!) you send your subconscious and those
around you a message that you are an unreliable person, who cannot be trusted.
Every time you find you cannot keep a promise, and immediately tell the
person you promised, apologise, and make a new promise you can keep, you send
your subconscious and those around you a message that you are a worthy, reliable
person, whose word can be trusted.
Thus, over time, you become known as, either a worthless liar and subhuman trash, or a
person of high integrity whose word is law in the Universe.
Which do you want?
[by Rick Raubenheimer]
You know you're in South
In response to the high crime rate, people say "We
need more boots on the ground!"
The Gauteng Department of Community Safety
promptly issues a tender for 10,000 pairs of boots.
Do You keep Repeating the Same Actions in Excel?
Stop wasting precious time! Save an hour
or more a week: Get your life back. How? Learn simple Macros:
Record the repetitive action once, repeat it fast with a single
keystroke whenever needed! This quick course will get you started fast:
Read more here.
Having a Hamlet Sleep:
Back to top
- Shoe Warehouse in Morningview Shopping Centre – 3 pairs for R270. Crowded.
- Chow To Go in Morningview Shopping Centre – Vietnamese & Chinese restaurant: Tapas, Dim Sum, pork, beef, prawn, seafood, duck, chicken. Noodles, rice, wrap, desserts.
- E Liquor Bottle Store Wendywood, Shop 13 in Wendywood Shopping Centre – For all drinks, alcoholic and soft.
- Yolks Beauty Parlour, Shop 12 in Wendywood Shopping Centre – Massage etc. Shared space with Evolution_N.
- Rather Tart, Shop 08A in Morningview Shopping Centre – Crepe Parlour & waffle bar: French crepes & Belgian waffle, tarts and quiches. Catering.
- Gourmet Samosserie, Shop 08B in Morningview Shopping Centre – Take-away samoosas sold from a window in Rather Tart.
- Nala Bheema's Authentic Indian Restaurant, Shop 07 in Morningview Shopping Centre – Specialists in North Indian and South Indian restaurant.
- Post Link Morningview, Shop 08C in Morningview Shopping Centre – Domestic and international courier, packaging, copy / print, email / scan, laminating / binding services, internet facilities, business cards / pamphlets etc., Bizhub.
- Spice Bazaar in Morningview Shopping Centre – Indian spices and foods.
- Lucy's Beauty, Shop 09D in Morningview Shopping Centre – Salon specialising in ethnic hair and beauty.
- Atlantic Barbershop, Shop 09B in Morningview Shopping Centre – Men's hairdresser.
- Ocean Basket Morningview, Shop 11 in Morningview Shopping Centre – Popular seafood and sushi restaurant chain, sole provider of "da feesh".
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R192/month*!
4,457 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
(*Non-top banner for one year paid in advance, includes VAT, less discount)
Thought for the Day:
The World Health Organization has designated today, 28 September, as World Rabies Day.
Remember to bite somebody.
Congratulations to the World-Class City of
On 15 July I reported the flattened fire hydrant in Kelvin Drive opposite Morning Glen
Mall, Gallo Manor, to Joburg Connect on 011 375 5555. The Service
Request (No. 8006048544) was later closed as "completed", even though nothing
was done (not for the first time, either).
I reported it again on 3 August (Ref. 8006077352). Work began around 29
August (note the lack of any barrier around the hole). Around 11
September, repairs were completed . That's if "completed" is the right
description for a hydrant at a jaunty angle, and low enough to trip over!
We should probably be grateful that anything was done at all...
John Steenhuisen says, "There is no ribbon-cutting ceremony for unblocking a
sewer." – but maybe this event needs some sort of celebration!
Supplements are South Africa’s solution to a
longer, stronger, smarter life
We believe in the awesome power of prevention. Supplementing with the
substances your body needs to thrive, means you can avoid many illnesses
that need expensive and prolonged treatments. Correct supplements can
keep you mentally and physically fit, well into your later years.
Choose Genologix to help
you live Longer, Smarter and Stronger!
Get 5% off with the coupon code "MEGAPLEX5".
Overheard at the Checkout
"This news report says there was a serious collision
between Barberton and Kaapmuiden."
"Aren't they far enough apart to miss each other?"